Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mud Flap Comparison?

Spaceman_Spiff

Does anyone have experience with more than the one brand of mud flaps? I've seen plenty of posts of those who bought "X" brand of mud flap, but I have yet to see any where someone has tried more than one brand, and why they liked one over the other.

Winter is coming...and so is the rock salt. Time to start thinking of protecting my paint!

Sparcos are a cheaper alternative to Rally Armor ones, but at the end of the day, a mudflap is a mudflap is a mudflap. Urethane ones are nicer and more durable than rubber ones, but I ran a set of the rubber/plastic ones dragging on the ground on my Jetta and they never failed on me. Don't over think it.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #3
It isn't so much the mud flap material, but the extras that come with them (hardware) and ease of install. I'll check out Sparcos.

Sent from my Spaceship

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I run WRC gravel spec urethane up front and Sparco in the rear. The Sparco's fell apart after 8 winters, but are crazy cheap. The WRC gravel mudflaps are going on their 16th winter and are still holding up very well. These are universal and much larger than RokBloks (however they are spelled) or RallyArmor. With being universal, you need to figure out how to mount them. I have never had an issue mounting them on cars. The front have been on (2) different Focuses, and (3) different Fiestas. I also have a set on my wife's Escape. I use self tapping screws and get about 2 winters out of the fasteners before the rust and abrasion destroy them. The WRC gravel and Sparco ones are not nearly as rigid as others out there, which isn't bad since they vibrate and knock the snow and ice off. I also like how large they are inside the inner fender. The ones cut to fit the Fiesta leave large openings of the inner fender unprotected. The abrasion of the inner fender make them look terrible come spring time. I added some rubber extensions to the front mud flaps so they sit about .50" off the ground for maximum protection. I also made a shield that goes under the doors to protect the skirts and rear quarter from any debris that sneaks past the front mud flaps.

2015 Ford Fiesta ST prepped for winter by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

2015 Fiesta ST winter prep by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

2015 Fiesta ST, winter 2015 by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

2015 Ford Fiesta ST by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

Note: the pictures were taken at various stages of development. The side shields and rubber extensions were added, removed, and modified over the past few winters. Most of these pictures are from the first winter and made a number of changes last winter. This year I am making more changes.

OP
Spaceman_Spiff
Thread Starter #5
I ended up picking up a set of urethane universal rally armor's off ebay for $30. I'll start mocking them up this weekend and see what I'll need to mount them myself.
[MENTION=1313]BRGT350[/MENTION], you just screw them directly to the fender liner? There isn't anything behind there to be worried about getting punctured, right? Also, just from my limited investigations, it seemed like that liner is pretty flimsy. No worries about the flaps pulling it out or something?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
no issues that I have had in the 16 years of screwing them into the fender liner. I used self tapping sheet metal screws (#10 x 3/4" I think) from McMaster-Carr. They are cheap and work well. You want an aggressive thread pitch to hold the flaps to the liner. Pick a screw with a wide head as well to distribute the load over a larger area and prevent pull-out. You can always add a washer under the screw.

Here are some tips;
Start with the car sitting on the ground and use blocks of wood to set the height you want for the mud flaps. I usually start with a 2x4. Place the mud flap on the 2x4 to set the vertical height. Adjust the horizontal position so that about an inch sticks out from the fender. Once in position, use a marker or painters tape to trace the outline of the fender on to the mud flap. Jack up the car and remove the wheels. Using the trace of the fender, place the mud flap against the inner fender and align it with the marks on the flap. Start with two screws at the top and work down from there. Once installed, you can remove it and use the one side for a template to make the other side. This way they will be symmetrical. You can also use clear overhead paper to trace the drilled holes and fender. The fronts are easy, the rears take more creativity. The fronts are really the ones you need since all the power is getting put down at the front wheels and they will spray the sides with debris.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I cannot get onto Susquehanna Motorsport's site right now, so, do they offer this gravel rally spec material flap in any other colors (like black?), or just 'rally red' and maybe that translucent white I've seen on some of the SCCA Pro Rally cars of the past??

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Susquehanna has the WRC flaps in red and black for sure, since I have both of those colors already. The Sparco ones are white, blue, red, and black. I get all of my mud flaps from them.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
THANKS! [thumb]

I remember when Ken actually started that company, and was a fellow member of the Blue Mountain Region of the SCCA, one of the most active (in member participants) rally regions (besides your region and maybe NER), and definitely THE most active hillclimb region of the whole SCCA.

Dave (Sekella) who bought the company from Ken has been a 'stage captain' on MOST of the stages I have worked on at STPR in the almost 15 years I was doing so, along with Diane Houseal and Ed Brennen, also of the Blue Mountain Region.

I figured when the OP was concerned about mounting brackets, that rally-spec urethane was kinda off the table. I always left my flaps permanently mounted because I ran gravel enough during the summer, but the way you're phrasing your posts BRGT350, are you removing and reinstalling yours seasonally? Car looks sharp with those flaps btw, and I always ran mine the same. Love having clean rockers all winter long in a FWD.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I figured when the OP was concerned about mounting brackets, that rally-spec urethane was kinda off the table. I always left my flaps permanently mounted because I ran gravel enough during the summer, but the way you're phrasing your posts BRGT350, are you removing and reinstalling yours seasonally? Car looks sharp with those flaps btw, and I always ran mine the same. Love having clean rockers all winter long in a FWD.
yep, I remove mine in the spring and install them in the winter. They are pretty beat up after so many winters, so I take them off for the summer. My car doesn't see any gravel or anything that would damage the finish in the summer. It is winter that is just brutal on cars. My front bumper and intercooler looks like they have been used in Rallycross for a couple of seasons. :(

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
THANKS! [thumb]

I remember when Ken actually started that company, and was a fellow member of the Blue Mountain Region of the SCCA, one of the most active (in member participants) rally regions (besides your region and maybe NER), and definitely THE most active hillclimb region of the whole SCCA.

Dave (Sekella) who bought the company from Ken has been a 'stage captain' on MOST of the stages I have worked on at STPR in the almost 15 years I was doing so, along with Diane Houseal and Ed Brennen, also of the Blue Mountain Region.
Susquehanna Motorsports is great! I have been buying stuff from them since around 2000. Mud flaps, rally car parts, belts, light bulbs, and everything in between.

Yeah, I may be in BC now, but I grew up north of you in Sault Ste. Marie, ON. I know all about real winters. I'm a stickler for winter tires and flaps. This car won't see gravel but I may just leave the flaps on for looks and they do help with the road spray from the shitpile of rain we get out here.

Susquehanna always has great prices.

I think it's safe to say Rally Armour is the biggest name in the mudflap industry and it's the only mudflap we carry. Not saying there aren't others, but RA has definitely established themselves as a solid brand.

Wish we could have input for seasonal conditions but sunny SoCal doesn't give us much chance [wave]

Bringing this back up for the season.

Any pros or cons to the universal kits out there?
Rally Armor seems to have a strangle hold on the market, but i'm not 100% sold on any given brand yet.
Opinions on the RokBlocks?

thanks!

Any urethane flap will work as well as the next, and universal usually just means that you have to spend more time fitting them.

I've never had an issue with universal kits on other cars, but I will say the fitment on the RA Fiesta specific kit was incredible and a very easy install. I was kinda shocked at how much hardware you get in the kit, and you use all of it.

*gratuitous*

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

Just ordered a set of the RokBlokx. On sale shipped to my door for 89.95 for the fiesta specific kit from their site.
I'll post up a review once they go on the car. Once I get my car.... (Ordered August 27th... Supposed to take delivery on the 26th here. Merry Christmas to me!)

Chris G

I have the Rokblokz on mine - they're about 1.5 years old at this point. I like how basic they look. They do the job for how much they cost. If I re-did the flaps down the road, I think I would probably try RallyArmor this time around just to see what they are all about.

I've had both Rally Armor and Rokblokz when I had my Subaru's. Honestly they both do the job just fine. I don't see myself spending money for RA's, I will more than likely purchase RB's again.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Any urethane flap will work as well as the next, and universal usually just means that you have to spend more time fitting them.

I've never had an issue with universal kits on other cars, but I will say the fitment on the RA Fiesta specific kit was incredible and a very easy install. I was kinda shocked at how much hardware you get in the kit, and you use all of it.

*gratuitous*

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk
You're in BC? Where in BC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk