Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Gear Lockout and grind

Last night I was driving onto the highway and as I was shifting from 1st to 2nd and I couldn't go into 2nd. Upon further inspection, it seems the gear will lockout if it will be above 2.5kish rpm upon shifting into this gear (FOR ALL GEARS). Also if I shift out of a gear after 3k rpm it grinds.

There are two levels of the lock out at 2.5k(upon entering, not revving or in previous gear) it blocks it but you can yank it in, at 4k it is completely not happening. I have just been driving low rps but it's super annoying as if I don't notice it will completely scrape the lockout wall when I try.

Got a exterior check of trans, looks good. They said clutch was fine, can't get into dealer until the 5th of October.

Looking for any information

UPDATE: Don't have tons of mechanical knowledge, I have heard syncros could be the issue. So more info on this, it is not a time thing with the locks. It is speed/rpm related. (95% sure)
UPDATE 2: It looks more to be how far my current RPM(on tac) is from where the gear is at. So maybe it is syncros?
UPDATE 3: Getting it in this Saturday at dealer.

OP
X
Thread Starter #3
Thanks, I will try thing tonight. I know there is not meant to be lockout but it will NOT let you in.

grnmachine02

^What he said. Sounds like a clutch issue.

If it was only 2nd gear, then I'd suspect something in the trans. All gears points to either the shifter cable system, or the clutch.

OP
X
Thread Starter #6
Can anyone link me to a post on the removal of the intake pipe? Or just the tools I'll need?
Clutch could defiantly make sense, I am mean to it sometimes.

Ben

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I thought synchro before I read your post. Hopefully that's all it is. And if it is the 2nd gear synchro, don't take it to the Ford dealer in Colorado Springs, Colorado; they'll have your car in pieces for 2 weeks straight before you get it back.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Mine did that before the clutch would hardly release. I would feel a slight forward motion when in gear and clutch disengaged.

OP
X
Thread Starter #10
Just in case anyone wanted a follow up; when I took it in they found the clutch was worn down and causing the issue. They replaced the clutch, flywheel, etc. After install they did a road test and found the slave cylinder line was leaking. This is believed to be why my clutch wore out at 6k miles.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Just in case anyone wanted a follow up; when I took it in they found the clutch was worn down and causing the issue. They replaced the clutch, flywheel, etc. After install they did a road test and found the slave cylinder line was leaking. This is believed to be why my clutch wore out at 6k miles.
Thanks for the update.