Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Are intercoolers worth it in the winter?

Based

Is an upgraded intercooler still necessary during winter? Like say I wanted to run a stage 2 tune which is air filter + IC. Winter here hovers between 40 - 60 degrees here from about November to March.

TUX15ST

Less of an impact but still worth it, yes. It works as a percentage of ambient temp so the lower the temp the less it makes a difference, however it always better to have the coldest air possible and im sure you will get one eventually, even if you wait till after winter so why wait.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #3
Less of an impact but still worth it, yes. It works as a percentage of ambient temp so the lower the temp the less it makes a difference, however it always better to have the coldest air possible and im sure you will get one eventually, even if you wait till after winter so why wait.
Yeah I will get one but I was just curious what people would say about "needing" one in the winter. Also my funds are lacking and I want to feel better about missing the Depo Racing intercoolers this time around :/

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I plan on buying the CP-E IC during their holiday/Black Friday/Internet Monday sales, but it probably will not get installed until mid spring, unless we get a winter that much warmer yet than even last years, in which case it WILL become 'necessary'. [wink]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
for me, the winter brings months worth of charge temps hovering around the freezing mark. If I ever decide to upgrade the intercooler, I plan to remove it in the winter and return the car to a tune designed for a stock intercooler. Winter destroyed the intercooler on my ST and our Escape. I spent hours this spring fixing all of the fins that were smashed from rock salt, ice, road debris. This was with the trim installed on the bumper to reduce the openness of the intercooler inlet in the bumper. The tubes are also very dented, which can't be fixed. If you live in an area that uses salt, I would not subject your new intercooler to the abuse.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #6
for me, the winter brings months worth of charge temps hovering around the freezing mark. If I ever decide to upgrade the intercooler, I plan to remove it in the winter and return the car to a tune designed for a stock intercooler. Winter destroyed the intercooler on my ST and our Escape. I spent hours this spring fixing all of the fins that were smashed from rock salt, ice, road debris. This was with the trim installed on the bumper to reduce the openness of the intercooler inlet in the bumper. The tubes are also very dented, which can't be fixed. If you live in an area that uses salt, I would not subject your new intercooler to the abuse.
That's the only thing I like about living in Louisiana... No salt. Like I said, winter MIGHT get to a little under 40 for a day or two out the whole winter. It hovers between 40-60 some times 65

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
a 40 degree day in the winter and I am wearing a t-shirt! I am not kidding, the first day in the spring that reaches 40'F everyone gets out of the house and thinks it is summer.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Is there ANY fine mesh screen/grill type solution to this at all??

Even though I don't plan on installing an aftermarket IC until spring, I still don't want my factory deal to end up destroyed, nor do I want to be bothered with switching it out (with a tune as well) every winter along with winter wheels/tires, once it is installed. [:(]

Is there ANY fine mesh screen/grill type solution to this at all??

Even though I don't plan on installing an aftermarket IC until spring, I still don't want my factory deal to end up destroyed, nor do I want to be bothered with switching it out (with a tune as well) every winter along with winter wheels/tires, once it is installed. [:(]
I've lived my whole life in the land of salt trucks, and never had intercooler damage. That stuff doesn't leap off the road by itself. Don't tailgate, and slow down when a plow is headed your way. It's not rocket science.