Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Broke 3 motor mounts including my cobb rmm at once in one launch.

At the track a couple weeks ago and on a hard launch sheared 3 motor mounts including my cobb one. Car is e30 stage 2+. I was pretty surprised to hear the cobb one broke...the dealer who fixed my car refunded my the 173 dollars for my cobb one cause they through it out or else id take pics and show cobb. just thought id share and see if anything you guys have done has helped. thanks.

Sticky tire setup? What were the shear points on the passenger and driver/transmission side mounts?

I bet a couple were broke and the launch broke the cobb one making it more noticeable.

Chris G

I don't know about 'common' but a few guys on here have had issues with the bolts on the pass. side mount breaking.

OP
P
Thread Starter #8
Back to all stock motor mounts and its nice and smooth again. No sticky tires which caused diabolical wheel hop with catastrophic consequence haha But yea it was passenger side, the rear motor mount (cobb) and upper trans. Gonna be a few months before I'm going back to the track. 15inch rims, 23x7.5 hoosiers slicks and a new launch control rpm setting for my next visit.

A7xogg

Wheel hop will break anything, especially if the track has bumps and I'd uneven. A few years back I launched my civic at a shitty track and I did every mod to prevent when hop(full mounts, control arm bushings, properly set up coil overs) and broke both axles on the launch and messed up the LSD in the tranny

OP
P
Thread Starter #10
Wheel hop will break anything, especially if the track has bumps and I'd uneven. A few years back I launched my civic at a shitty track and I did every mod to prevent when hop(full mounts, control arm bushings, properly set up coil overs) and broke both axles on the launch and messed up the LSD in the tranny
Damn, the fear has awoken in me lol. Hopefully it doesn't happen next time but if it does it does, at least Ill run a better time haha And looking at the paperwork closer it was two tranny mounts that broke due to my previous transmission leak. Don't know for sure but could have affected the cobb one too or it was simply too much stress once the other two failed.

A7xogg

Damn, the fear has awoken in me lol. Hopefully it doesn't happen next time but if it does it does, at least Ill run a better time haha And looking at the paperwork closer it was two tranny mounts that broke due to my previous transmission leak. Don't know for sure but could have affected the cobb one too or it was simply too much stress once the other two failed.
you haven't lived until it happens to you lol. oil may have gotten on the rubber in the mount and deteriorated it

Rhinopolis

I sheared the bolts on the upper bracket and engine mounting point of the RMM last weekend...lol. I didn't even launch, and just did a wide open full throttle 1st into 2cd gear upshift. I also have the TTR motor and tranny mounts, and this kept me from feeling the damage completely until after I was aggressive again later on in the drive and heard my RMM swinging up and slapping the underside of my car. Also the shifting wasn't as crisp.

I had to use a fluted screw extractor to remove the three bolts that were left in the mounting points, and I ordered a new CPE RMM because I lost the upper mount bracket when the bolts sheared. The CPE RMM includes the bracket and the mount all as one piece instead of reusing the factory bracket.

I went ahead and reordered all 4 new bolts, and holy shite is that expensive to do. You have to order 4 bolts for each of the 4 different bolt types since they come in packs of 4, and the dealer wanted close to $200....lol.

I found them online (still had to order in packs of 4) but with delivery it came out to $60.

haste

1000 Post Club
I sheared the bolts on the upper bracket and engine mounting point of the RMM last weekend...lol. I didn't even launch, and just did a wide open full throttle 1st into 2cd gear upshift. I also have the TTR motor and tranny mounts, and this kept me from feeling the damage completely until after I was aggressive again later on in the drive and heard my RMM swinging up and slapping the underside of my car. Also the shifting wasn't as crisp.

I had to use a fluted screw extractor to remove the three bolts that were left in the mounting points, and I ordered a new CPE RMM because I lost the upper mount bracket when the bolts sheared. The CPE RMM includes the bracket and the mount all as one piece instead of reusing the factory bracket.
I went ahead and reordered all 4 new bolts, and holy shite is that expensive to do. You have to order 4 bolts for each of the 4 different bolt types since they come in packs of 4, and the dealer wanted close to $200....lol.

I found them online (still had to order in packs of 4) but with delivery it came out to $60.

Crazy. This talk of motor mounts breaking has me a little worried. It almost makes me want to order spare mounts and bolts, just in case.

Rhinopolis

Crazy. This talk of motor mounts breaking has me a little worried. It almost makes me want to order spare mounts and bolts, just in case.
PM me a mailing address and I'll send you 1 complete set of the 4. Hopefully I don't shear them again, but 2 complete sets after I mount the new RMM should do me good enough as an "emergency" bolt kit to hang on to.
[MENTION=1668]haste[/MENTION] - I just noticed that you have the CPE RMM. Does it seem to be doing a good job for you?

haste

1000 Post Club
PM me a mailing address and I'll send you 1 complete set of the 4. Hopefully I don't shear them again, but 2 complete sets after I mount the new RMM should do me good enough as an "emergency" bolt kit to hang on to.
[MENTION=1668]haste[/MENTION] - I just noticed that you have the CPE RMM. Does it seem to be doing a good job for you?
I've had the CPE mount on the car for 35k miles now. I check it every time I am under the car. It does add some vibration the to chassis but it seems like a good compromise between stiffness
and durability. I have heard of Cobb and Mountune RMMs failing but not a CPE, yet.