Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GFB dv+ installed

Hey there guy's. I am a little late getting on this thread. I got my FiST November 2013 but have just started modding it this year. All my mod's so far have been fairly inexpensive, nothing over $200-300. I will start getting to the big stuff next year first thing probably being the Cobb AP. I installed the GFB DB+ this past summer. As others have stated I definitely noticed a reduction in lag between shifts just overall better throttle response. It is the only mod I have done so far that I can feel an actual performance increase. Earlier in the summer I installed the Boomba Throttle Body and Intake Spacers. To be honest I did not really notice a difference on the butt dyno from those. I just yesterday installed the MAP intake. Got it for only $164 delivered with the holiday discount so I had to try it. I know it is not a true cold air intake but for the price I thought what the heck. Only took it out for a quick drive down the road but I finally can hear some of these noises everyone keeps talking about. I liked what I heard. There was no flutter, just the spooling and Pssst. Can't comment on pre DV+ sound. I had no problems getting the OEM apart. I would definitely recommend the DV+.

Fake vs Real Gfb DV+
OK guys, check out this video on YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRXlS-d4KnE
Apparently there are some phony ones floating around.
Wouldn't think it would be worth replicating them but somebody does.
The video goes into specifics on how to tell the difference, starting with the box, foam, bolts.
I just bought one from Whoosh Motorsports. First thing I asked him was how does the box open.
Watch the video, and you'll see what I'm talking about.
Talked to the owner of Whoosh, for a couple of minutes, sounds like a good guy and enthusiast.
Good price too

A7xogg

After now having one installed for a few thousand miles, my wastgate duty cycle actual reads 10-15% lower than with stock dv. What does this mean? Turbo is spinning slower to make same boost(23-25 psi)

jeff

2000 Post Club
Observation:

Since install I've made 2 road trips, one 700 miles and one 300 miles (today). Around the 200 mile mark on both trips I noticed 2 things - (1) that there was a very subtle noise which I'd describe as low-rev venting. I talked alot about this elsewhere and it was the reason I bought the DV+ after my turbo upgrade, and it eliminated the noise. However after a few hundred miles a venting noise returns....and, (2) that the car studders when you try to go into boost.

Now both times, both of these issues were cleared up by a few WOT runs in 2nd and 3rd gear.

My theory is that when the car is in cruise control and/or asking for about the same level of boost for hours at a time, the valve sticks a bit and causes these two symptoms. After a good thrashing (the WOT pulls) the oil re-lubricates the valve and all is well. Of course it stays lubricated under normal conditions because it's constantly opening and closing, but not when maintaining the same speed for 100s of miles.

So maybe if you have these issues you'll know you're not alone because of this post. In the future when I anticipate driving a long way as such I'm going to periodically drop it into 3rd and floor it to redline to hopefully prevent this sticking and keep the valve lubricated.

[thumb]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wonder if using a SUPER PREMIUM, very high temp capable, synthetic grease (like Red Line's CV-2 grease or the like) would help the above symptoms at all?? [dunno]

Observation:

Since install I've made 2 road trips, one 700 miles and one 300 miles (today). Around the 200 mile mark on both trips I noticed 2 things - (1) that there was a very subtle noise which I'd describe as low-rev venting. I talked alot about this elsewhere and it was the reason I bought the DV+ after my turbo upgrade, and it eliminated the noise. However after a few hundred miles a venting noise returns....and, (2) that the car studders when you try to go into boost.

Now both times, both of these issues were cleared up by a few WOT runs in 2nd and 3rd gear.

My theory is that when the car is in cruise control and/or asking for about the same level of boost for hours at a time, the valve sticks a bit and causes these two symptoms. After a good thrashing (the WOT pulls) the oil re-lubricates the valve and all is well. Of course it stays lubricated under normal conditions because it's constantly opening and closing, but not when maintaining the same speed for 100s of miles.

So maybe if you have these issues you'll know you're not alone because of this post. In the future when I anticipate driving a long way as such I'm going to periodically drop it into 3rd and floor it to redline to hopefully prevent this sticking and keep the valve lubricated.

[thumb]
Jeff, you didn't happen to get one of the Chinese knock off's I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, did you?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Jeff, you didn't happen to get one of the Chinese knock off's I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread, did you?
Nope mine is the real thing, I checked. I've talked with some other folks who have the DV+ and they have the same issue. I think it's just a thing.

Thanks for posting that vid by the way!

I have noticed the stutter recently as well, but I have about 20k miles on my DV. I was thinking it had something to do with the new tune I got, but now it has me thinking. I have thought about removing it and doing a light polish on the brass piece and then using a thin coat of grease to see if it helps.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Mine worked fine for 20 k no maintenance. Lost the tip o ring and housing got beat up. New one coming under warranty from GFB.

Had some time yesterday to do a few things. After hitting 77K on the odometer and having the surging and stutter issues I decided to remove the throttle body and the DV+ and clean them. The throttle body was surprisingly clean, so I did a wipe down, did a little polishing on the inlet and reinstalled it. Next I removed the DV+. As you can see in the picture it was pretty gummed up. I am not sure why the cylinder has that area where there is no gunk, but there are 2 other areas same size and evenly spaced that go all the way around. So I wiped it down and gave it a light polish and coated it with some oil. I looked around for some grease but couldn't find it. With it all back together it seems to be running smooth and I have not noticed any stutter so far.

B&F.jpg

You said you have 77K on your odo. How many miles since you installed the DV+ and how many miles before you noticed performance issues? Thanks.

You said you have 77K on your odo. How many miles since you installed the DV+ and how many miles before you noticed performance issues? Thanks.
There is about 35K+ miles on the GFB. What I can say is most of this has happened within the past few weeks. I just started noticing small things like when coming to a stop with the clutch in and foot on the break the RPMs dip to idle like normal and by the time I would come to a stop the RPMs would shoot up to 1200 and after about 15 sec would drop back down. I was thinking that the throttle body was stuck or something. It only did it twice that I can think of. As far as the GFB goes. When almost going WOT, especially in 2nd gear once you hit about 4500 - 5000 RPM it felt like it lost boost for a split second and then come back on. I am not sure if any of these problems are a result of a gunked DV or not. The only thing I have done to the car was switch to a tune from Dizzy. I have not ruled out the tune, so I will probably switch back to my old tune and see if it does the same thing.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I know I’m brand new here, but I’ve had multiple vehicles with dv+ installed. Ideally the dv+ would be lubricated with blow-by, but after experiencing symptoms like yours cfg support told me to clean and re lube. As long as I do that maybe every 7k miles or so it’s been fine. Lots of folks forget to lube on initial install, that causes lots of issues as well.

I know I’m brand new here, but I’ve had multiple vehicles with dv+ installed. Ideally the dv+ would be lubricated with blow-by, but after experiencing symptoms like yours cfg support told me to clean and re lube. As long as I do that maybe every 7k miles or so it’s been fine. Lots of folks forget to lube on initial install, that causes lots of issues as well.
What did you lube it with?

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Just engine oil. Just dip your finger into the cap of a bottle of engine oil and rub it into the piston, then slide the piston into the housing. Both of my gfb’s had “lube the piston” as a step in the instructions, does the fiesta one not say that? I know a lot of people skip the instructions and just watch the install videos, and none of the videos show lubing :p

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I followed the printed instructions for the Fiesta ST in the GFB box, which DEFINITELY stated to lube that piston.

I used some red Mystic grease, but when it comes apart again for cleaning (it's only been in for ~5500 miles), I might use either Red Line CV-2 grease, or some of their engine oil. ;)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I would think grease is to viscous and would cause sticking. Brass does pretty well on It's own.