Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GFB dv+ installed

As long as I do that maybe every 7k miles or so it’s been fine. Lots of folks forget to lube on initial install, that causes lots of issues as well.
It is always a good idea to lube any moving part before install, especially the DV+. Taking it apart every 7k miles is a little too soon for me. It is not the easiest part to get too. Seeing that I had over 35k miles on mine before I noticed any changes in performance. I would venture to say maybe every 25k. Honestly, after taking apart hoses, pipes, throttle body, and DV+ it would seem that I don't have much blow-by. The DV+ internals were pretty much bone dry. I am starting to think that the oil I cleaned off is the same stuff I used when I first installed it lol. I recently changed the rubber hoses to silicone hoses about 3k miles ago and even then, the pipes and hoses only had a slight residue if any. Even the throttle body had slight carbon built up no oil or sticky residue on it. I was expecting a lot more given that I don't have a catch can, or have taken any of part any of the charge pipes in 77k miles.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I would think grease is to viscous and would cause sticking. Brass does pretty well on It's own.
Maybe, but I thought that it would not be as volatile as even a stout motor oil would be, but it could be a problem in very cold climes until it fully heats up and thins out somewhat.

Maybe micro-polishing it, and running it DRY IS the answer? [dunno]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It is always a good idea to lube any moving part before install, especially the DV+. Taking it apart every 7k miles is a little too soon for me. It is not the easiest part to get to.
SAME HERE!

For me at least, this part was the ROYALIST of PITA's to get on the car, and I had all of the 'proper' tools (wish I could watch all of those installs where they call it "easy as pie"!!).

So, IF it had to be cleaned/serviced THAT frequently, it is coming off of the car and being replaced with the boomba recirculating setup, or a Turbosmart on the symposer nipple of the cold side pipe, [wink]

SAME HERE!

For me at least, this part was the ROYALIST of PITA's to get on the car, and I had all of the 'proper' tools (wish I could watch all of those installs where they call it "easy as pie"!!).

So, IF it had to be cleaned/serviced THAT frequently, it is coming off of the car and being replaced with the boomba recirculating setup, or a Turbosmart on the symposer nipple of the cold side pipe, [wink]
It was harder when I went through the passenger side wheelwell on the initial install. However, I did find it much easier just to jack the whole front end up, take the hot-side charge pipe off and get it from there. You can get to 2 of the screws pretty easy, but the third you have to just rely on feel. It is still a lot of work, but much easier to use a small ratchet and MUCH easier on the knuckles.

I don't know if I would trust running it dry. Brass on Brass might be one thing, but Brass on Aluminum...I don't know. That part I imagine sees a lot of pressure and heat. I don't know if I would risk having little metal dust flying into the turbo. I would think that a extreme pressure synthetic grease would be fine. With the DV+ being connected to the turbo it will heat up pretty quick, so I wouldn't think that cold would have much effect on the grease. Either way you are really not supposed to get on it until the car is warmed up any way.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It was harder when I went through the passenger side wheelwell on the initial install. However, I did find it much easier just to jack the whole front end up, take the hot-side charge pipe off and get it from there. You can get to 2 of the screws pretty easy, but the third you have to just rely on feel. It is still a lot of work, but much easier to use a small ratchet and MUCH easier on the knuckles.
THANKS!! [thumb]

I will remember to service the DV+ when I change out the hot side elbow pipe/hoses and clamps to the Mountune silicone kit with Turbosmart clamps I have waiting for installation in the spring. [:)]

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Sounds like its a double edged sword over here. I've read through the entire thread and it seems like a good product but in the long run starts to take a poo and then you'll have to re-lube it again for proper function. I'll hold back until others describe their long term experiences.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I would think grease is to viscous and would cause sticking. Brass does pretty well on It's own.
Grease made mine stick after 2k or so miles, 5w40 from my engine kept it going like 10k or so.

Apologies for my earlier brevity, had surgery a few days ago so I'm a little "floaty" still - I do mine every 7-10k miles because thats when I change my oil. Since I have to remove intake pipe, etc. and the GFB is right next to the oil filter on my Abarth, I just do it as a target of opportunity at that time. Once I bought ball-head allens it takes all of 10 minutes to pull lube and reinstall. I'm sure you could stretch it out more. After the initial lube and install the theory is that blowby will keep it lubed, but if you have a catch can then you aren't going to get that sporadic lubrication.

I would honestly defer to GFB, when they say to use engine oil it's for a reason. I wouldn't use grease, it's too viscous for how tightly the pistons fit. If you feel that there's enough room in there for grease then you might have a fake GFB. I got two fake ones from Amazon before just ordering from an approved vendor.

I don't know yet about ST's, but on Abarths at least, the stock DV leaks like a sieve, going to a GFB with the silicone/brass piston tightened up my boost substantially, and I made just as much power with a few PSI less boost (indicated).

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
It is always a good idea to lube any moving part before install, especially the DV+. Taking it apart every 7k miles is a little too soon for me. It is not the easiest part to get too. Seeing that I had over 35k miles on mine before I noticed any changes in performance. I would venture to say maybe every 25k. Honestly, after taking apart hoses, pipes, throttle body, and DV+ it would seem that I don't have much blow-by. The DV+ internals were pretty much bone dry. I am starting to think that the oil I cleaned off is the same stuff I used when I first installed it lol. I recently changed the rubber hoses to silicone hoses about 3k miles ago and even then, the pipes and hoses only had a slight residue if any. Even the throttle body had slight carbon built up no oil or sticky residue on it. I was expecting a lot more given that I don't have a catch can, or have taken any of part any of the charge pipes in 77k miles.
Do you have a catch-can? If so, then it might be eating any oil that would normally lube the DV+.

Sounds like its a double edged sword over here. I've read through the entire thread and it seems like a good product but in the long run starts to take a poo and then you'll have to re-lube it again for proper function. I'll hold back until others describe their long term experiences.
It really is a good product. The stock one was horrible and didn't notice how bad it was until I put on the GFB. I bought mine not long after they came out and have not touched it since the install. I think 35k+ miles on a part is not unrealistic for routine maintenance for any part. I change my transmission fluid every 25k, so to do this at the same time is fine with me. I really don't know if it was the cause of my problems or if it was just a strange fluke. It does "feel" different, but also the temperature has dropped 30 degrees since Monday, so the car will feel different just from the temp drop alone.

Do you have a catch-can? If so, then it might be eating any oil that would normally lube the DV+.
Nope, no catch can. I guess the question is on the Abarath what does the piston look like after 7k miles? Does it have excess oil in the area or does it look like my picture I posted?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
It really is a good product. The stock one was horrible and didn't notice how bad it was until I put on the GFB. I bought mine not long after they came out and have not touched it since the install. I think 35k+ miles on a part is not unrealistic for routine maintenance for any part. I change my transmission fluid every 25k, so to do this at the same time is fine with me. I really don't know if it was the cause of my problems or if it was just a strange fluke. It does "feel" different, but also the temperature has dropped 30 degrees since Monday, so the car will feel different just from the temp drop alone.
I gotcha. I'll most likely end up getting it as it sounds pretty solid, along with a Daman OCC.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club

Nope, no catch can. I guess the question is on the Abarath what does the piston look like after 7k miles? Does it have excess oil in the area or does it look like my picture I posted?

there's mine after I think 11k miles?
I can tell its dirty when blowoff starts to sound "soft" and sometimes off/on throttle i can hear the DV slowly close instead of snapping shut.

there's mine after I think 11k miles?
I can tell its dirty when blowoff starts to sound "soft" and sometimes off/on throttle i can hear the DV slowly close instead of snapping shut.
Interesting. It looks similar to mine. I don't always hear mine so it is hard to tell. The only draw back to this valve.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Oh and breaking the stock do while disassembling for install is pretty normal. I ordered a spare stock dv alongside my dv+ so I have a stocker to reinstall should it be needed. Abarth stock dv was like 50 bucks.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Interesting. It looks similar to mine. I don't always hear mine so it is hard to tell. The only draw back to this valve.
I cannot hear mine AT ALL, under any boost/throttle position scenarios, even when it was first installed, so I really can't go by that indicator for a maintenance schedule. [:(]

I cannot hear mine AT ALL, under any boost/throttle position scenarios, even when it was first installed, so I really can't go by that indicator for a maintenance schedule. [:(]
I only hear it if the windows are down and I am driving close to a concrete barrier or building lol. But yes, pretty much inaudible.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Sorry hit post too soon. In his words.

There should be no need to grease or oil the plunger frequently. Out of interest, is the plunger o-ring on your new valve orange, or brown? We changed suppliers recently and the colours are different.