Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Unusually delayed order - anyone else?

Hey guys,

So I ordered my FiST back in early March of this year, and by early May it finally got scheduled to build for July 14th. At that time I got on this site and saw that some of you guys who had ordered their cars after me had your build dates ahead of me! But, whatever... maybe Ford didn't have all the right parts to build my exact combo, it is what it is.

However though, my car did get built around that date promised and was loaded on to a railcar on July 16th. Perfect timing, until then. However, my dealer gave me an update in early August and let me know that the car arrived in Kansas City, MO from the factory in north of Mexico City. I figured another 2 weeks, or at the very most by end of August the car would be at the dealer and undergoing inspection. August passed, then early September, the car had still not arrived! I got to the dealer and it has been over 8 weeks... tried to get an answer, at least an estimate as to when its going to arrive, and got them to print out the entire trace history of the vehicle. Here it is attached.

As you can see, car arrived in Kansas City, MO on August 3rd, and as of September 8th, its still in the vicinity! Its been going from place to place within Kansas City area, for over a month! As of today, dealer still doesn't know when estimated delivery is.

Can any of you shed light on this? Is this normal? I figured once it got to Kansas City, which I'm guessing is one of Ford's sorting points... it would be another two weeks at most to come to Canada, but its still there! And that's been really frustrating me! When I placed the order, I wanted to have the car in time for summer, but its nearly fall already and snow to arrive in a month or so! Is that kind of delay in shipping normal? I can understand a later than usual build date but what's taking so long to get it on the right railcar and have it on its way?!

I'd like to hear your stories... hopefully I'm not the only one something like this has happened to!

racer_27

Attachments

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
I ordered 3/21, got a build date of 7/14 around May, the official build date then became 7/13. The car was loaded on a train a week or so later to the east coast of Mexico, then went on a ship to Florida, trucked to NC, and I got it 8/12. Hope you get yours soon.

Mine didn't get shipped to Canada, so I don't know what the logistics are for that. 2015, my car was ordered June 12th. Built Sept 7th. Delivered Sept 25th to the dealer in Central Texas. Central Texas is much closer to Mexico than Canada, but it's still odd that it's been sitting in the same place for the last month. Your wait for July build date was probably for 2017 model year change over. Your car is likely one of the first built 2017's based on when the change over happened last year. I'd push the dealer harder to try and figure out why it's been chilling in the same place for so long so they can get it rolling again.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
According to my dealer, the LAST build day for the '16s is 11/25/16, and the first build date for the '17s is 11/28/16, IF I can believe a word they say, since when pressed they will NOT give me an actual build date, just an estimated delivery date (which they claim is some kind of 'average' of the build date and shipping time, and they CLAIM that Ford DOES NOT, and WILL NOT give them an actual build date- I don't know WHO to believe at this point! [mad] [???:)] ).

IF the first line above is reality, we CANNOT be getting '17s, since they are not even taking orders for the '17s yet (but it will be soon), and not building them until Thanksgiving time.
The date to order a '16 is LONG past, however.

I thought I was waiting a long time (ordered it on 7/1/16), until I heard of some of the horror stories (like racer 27's above), and the half year+ waits some have had to endure.[crazyeye]

It seems a custom optioned Ferrari takes less time than our little econoboxes to get into a customer's hands from time of order, and that has to be shipped overseas!! [crazyeye]

The dealer told me (again, ESTIMATED) a delivery time for the week of 10/10/16, but I can tell they just do not want to be bothered with a 'low profit margin' item like the FiST (I'm guessing/ would bet that I would have been informed EVERY step of the way IF it were an $85K+ F-350 Lariat Super Duty dually or the like, as they had promised to do by email every Friday, but have not done even ONCE, for my order at the time of ordering).

I am already regretting using this stealership, as I can tell the sales manager has a MAJOR attitude (and I have NOT bugged either him, my salesman, or any of the other sales staff there at all until very recently, and probably a lot less than most of the other order customers do), probably because they know they are "the only game in town", or even within 30 miles. [thumbdown]

OP
R
Thread Starter #5
Thanks for the early input, guys!

ST Enthusiast, looks like both our cars were built around the same time. Actually, my brother ordered his FiST two weeks before mine, and they were built on the same date - AND they're both stuck in Kansas City area, likely in the same railcar as they are coming to the same city! So I guess the route they take have something to do with it as yours got delivered in a reasonable timeframe.

And yeah, I have the VIN number for the car (its easy to pull up the window sticker once you have that) and it does say 2016 model, so I guess as Sil3nt611 says maybe the switchover is later this year.

OP
R
Thread Starter #6
I hear you M-sport fan! You're stuck in the same boat as me then!

The dealership me and my brother ordered from gave us incredible service... which is why we decided to go with them. However, around the time we ordered, they were bought by new management... and the super awesome sales guys I dealt with eventually all left with, the kind of dealer you've had to deal with (maybe worse). Anyways, I can't defame the dealer much right now as the cars are still under Ford's possession until they arrive at the dealership... so yeah, maybe they aren't being as pushy, although they say they are, but really not as much margin for them in this one!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
If you are importing to Canada, there may also be customs issues that they may have had to deal with and that would help explain why it has been sitting in one spot. They could be waiting to resolve those issues. The dealer would probably not be directly involved with things like that.

Secondly, the following link is a topic that might not be helping the overall situation.

http://www.businessinsider.com/ford-small-car-production-mexico-2016-9

Sent using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, I WISH that they could build this car HERE in the U.S., but especially with the news in that article that will NEVER happen. [:(]

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yes, I WISH that they could build this car HERE in the U.S., but especially with the news in that article that will NEVER happen. [:(]
Agreed. But at least they kept their major production vehicles here. Overall it's a smart decision though because they save costs in both markets. Mexico does like the smaller cars so they can compete in Mexico and sell the cars there and make a profit which helps make it possible for them to release the car here with lower sales and still make a decent profit to compete here.

I can respect that because they are still making their main sellers here and helping build or maintain the economy here. Unlike some other car manufacturers that have all or most production outsourced...

Sent using Tapatalk