Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

PumaSpeed Variable Volume Intake Manifold

Manufacturing Costs for this unit are very high
It's gone to the back of the list but we have to sort it in February to be ready for the season

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Manufacturing Costs for this unit are very high
It's gone to the back of the list but we have to sort it in February to be ready for the season
Will hit purchase button day 1 of availability
Would also distribute for US and stock in US
[wave]

OP
BoostBumps

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Thread Starter #27
Pumaspeed Variable Intake Manifold

Preliminary Development Test Results from PumaSpeed

Set Up:
- Fiesta ST with PumaSpeed x47 Hybrid Turbo and PumaSpeed single version 2 base map

Conditions:
- We ran on same Fiesta ST / Same day / Same conditions / Same Tune (no mapping changes) / Just swapped inlet spacers

• 0mm (stock)
  • +10mm
  • +20mm
Preliminary Results:

- Increases in hp / tq seen mid rpm range
- With specific mapping for the inlet at the top end we can expect to see more gains.

PumaSpeed Variable Manifold Results.jpg

Excited for this! During my internet browsing and peeking at @worfab build thread I saw the Jenvey intake and man do they look sexy. I just wonder if there will be a unit without the injectors. Anything semi-functional there to replace that huge plastic piece would be a plus.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
The same reason I chose the Cobb intake is the same reason I wouldn't even consider one of these. Plastic doesn't retain near as much heat as aluminum...So this intake mani will be hot to the touch and transferring all the nice heat into raising IATs. If you are going BT and the stock mani is a real bottleneck then I suppose the increased IATs wouldn't matter as much. My goal is smallish "BT" like the S280. No one has reported any issues on the cold side so this may remain a very niche mod for those going for more than 320 wheel. I imagine the bang for buck will be abysmal

Old Mike Emerson

U.S. Navy Veteran
Agreed - let's hope that they offer a separate port into each set of runners, or at least one runner for each cylinder, so that we can inject meth/water or aux. fuel and know that it's being distributed evenly without having to use an intake spacer and use up space that we don't have.
An injector bung could be welded above each port, that would not be hard. Drill a hole, weld the bung, no AUX spacer needed. The problem I see with the AUX injectors is that they are batch fired. I'm not a tuner or a computer nerd but how hard would it be to tap into the stock injector harness and pair up the injectors. I'm sure that resistance or ohms or some other electrical engineering black magic would come into play but hey something to think about.

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
Update: 1/24/17

[HR][/HR]
9/13/2016

"A sneak peak ...

Variable volume inlet manifold for the 1.6 and 1.5 ecoboost engines" - PumaSpeed

Teaser Video (Link Below):

https://www.facebook.com/pumaspeedp...723550881677/1111400115580680/?type=2&theater

View attachment 10230

View attachment 10231

Interesting - back when I was doing gen 4 Nissan maxima stuff (I really liked the VQ engines!!) an occasional mod was the "MEVI" or middle eastern variable intake. People would order the middle eastern variable intake manifold and install it on their US cars and apparently the gains were pretty noticeable. I'm curious what the effect will be on a forced induction motor.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Excited for this! During my internet browsing and peeking at @worfab build thread I saw the Jenvey intake and man do they look sexy. I just wonder if there will be a unit without the injectors. Anything semi-functional there to replace that huge plastic piece would be a plus.
I actually sold the Jenvey intake to WOR due to it not being direct fit and the plenum volume is too small vs stock
The new option coming out will be direct fit, all vacuum connections and sensor locations are asd close to stock position as possible
There is also a US company working with us exclusively on another billet intake as well as the UK option. Both options will NOT have a single or 4 injector bungs/ports. There is no need for aux fuel for 99+% of owners now the XDI 35 HPFP and larger 30% injectors are avalable. An EVO pump(upgrade to current XDI) is already available plus larger flowing injectors are also about to be released as well

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
An injector bung could be welded above each port, that would not be hard. Drill a hole, weld the bung, no AUX spacer needed. The problem I see with the AUX injectors is that they are batch fired. I'm not a tuner or a computer nerd but how hard would it be to tap into the stock injector harness and pair up the injectors. I'm sure that resistance or ohms or some other electrical engineering black magic would come into play but hey something to think about.
WHY I would never ever go AUX injectors on an upgraded turbo, despite the valve cleaning benefit function, unless the above could be somehow accomplished. [wink] [thumb]

The same reason I chose the Cobb intake is the same reason I wouldn't even consider one of these. Plastic doesn't retain near as much heat as aluminum...So this intake mani will be hot to the touch and transferring all the nice heat into raising IATs. If you are going BT and the stock mani is a real bottleneck then I suppose the increased IATs wouldn't matter as much. My goal is smallish "BT" like the S280. No one has reported any issues on the cold side so this may remain a very niche mod for those going for more than 320 wheel. I imagine the bang for buck will be abysmal
Wait... Maybe I misunderstood what your said. Are you saying if the material used is aluminum that the heat soak would be worse then the stock plastic intake? If aluminum doesn't cut it like plastic then why are they selling aluminum piping, radiators, intercoolers and coolant reservoir?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Wait... Maybe I misunderstood what your said. Are you saying if the material used is aluminum that the heat soak would be worse then the stock plastic intake? If aluminum doesn't cut it like plastic then why are they selling aluminum piping, radiators, intercoolers and coolant reservoir?
To fashion bespoke automotive parts in a plastic mold requires pricey CAD engineering software (and paying a nerd to use it well) even before you start looking into the pricey equipment and molding needs for the actual fabrication, which most won't invest in for a small group of enthusiasts. A lot of vendors sell aluminum piping instead cuz all you need is a mandrel bender which are only a few hundred bucks. Couldn't tell ya if this same logic applies to intake manifolds from a design/manufacturing standpoint.

The premise with an IC or a radiator is that the air/coolant is arriving insanely hot. Hotter than the material itself. That temperature delta allows for heat to dissipate outward and cool the air/coolant. Will the aluminum mani temps be higher than the intake air? imo it may well be. If so, the delta and bigger words than I understand, dictate that the air will absorb the additional heat in the mani. It prob won't be much so let's not make mountain out a mole hill here!

But the heat soak is def more for aluminum when compared to an automotive plastic. Just touch it. You can feel the heat where plastic is barely lukewarm. Now which would you want your intake charge passing through, something already hot to the touch or barely warm? Will it mean that this new part won't show gains? No, it doesn't mean that at all! Temp is not the only metric effecting power. Velocity and volume are also key factors! So if the increased IATs are reasonable, even through the hot mani, the velocity & volume will surely have a positive effect. Will said effect be worth the 500-$2000 this thing may end up costing? Not to me. Unless this mani starts handing our 40 hp gains!!! lol And I highly doubt anyone running a hybrid or S280 is bottlenecking at the intake mani right now....