Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to disable the double honk when you close the door and exit if running?

Folks, this is merely part of the key-minder feature that helps prevent you from locking or leaving the key in the car.
[MENTION=30]CivicAssassin[/MENTION]: That's what I've been doing is leaving the door cracked-open. That avoids the honk. However this is visible from a distance and inviting.
[MENTION=3611]miguel.in.az[/MENTION]: Temporarily placing the keyfob on the windshield or on the roof sounds like a nice idea that I'll try. Maybe it'll even let you lock the car while it runs? That would be nice. I wonder if it'll honk if you walk-up and hit unlock haha?

I once set the alarm off, opening the door with the keyfob in my pocket so I know detection failures can sometimes occur. Odd that it somehow armed with the doors unlocked though. It seems the two systems were briefly out-of-sync. (no pun intended)

Two Questions:

1) Where is the horn relay? Simply splicing in an interrupt switch on the low-current side of the horn relay would prevent the relay from being signaled.

2) Has anyone tried to drive away without the keyfob in the car? Does it die as soon as you shift into gear?
You can lock and unlock the car while its running with the keyfob outside. It won't honk at you

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
[MENTION=5184]Intuit[/MENTION] for your point 2 you got about 10-20 miles before the car stops. If you shut it off no start back.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I think he was answering my question stating, that with the keyfob on the outside of the windwhield or on the roof, you could shut the door *and* lock and unlock and not get honked. It appears he has a 2016 also.

[MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]: Hope it doesn't shutdown in the middle of left turns. [wink] Seems like it'd be a better idea just to shutdown the moment the clutch pedal or neutral safety sensor states change. There's probably some logical explanation for their decision though.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Pulled into a fueling station a few days ago and stopped at the pump. As I began pumping I heard a honk, honk. Turned around and saw a guy with a late model Ford SUV with it's owner walking into the the convenient store. Broadcast to the entire lot and beyond, was the state of his vehicle. Unlocked and running or, vulnerable.

I can confirm that holding the keyfob against the windshield, while shutting the door and pressing the lock button works. Thanks fellas. :)

Pulled into a fueling station a few days ago and stopped at the pump. As I began pumping I heard a honk, honk. Turned around and saw a guy with a late model Ford SUV with it's owner walking into the the convenient store. Broadcast to the entire lot and beyond, was the state of his vehicle. Unlocked and running or, vulnerable.

I can confirm that holding the keyfob against the windshield, while shutting the door and pressing the lock button works. Thanks fellas. :)
So, Get out, walk around the door, hold the fob on the windshield while holding the lock button then shut the door?
Nothing suspicious there LOL.
Rather just not fully latch the door if I gotta do that maneuver. Kinda sucky situation they got us in...

Intuit

3000 Post Club
So, Get out, walk around the door, hold the fob on the windshield while holding the lock button then shut the door?
Nothing suspicious there LOL.
Rather just not fully latch the door if I gotta do that maneuver. Kinda sucky situation they got us in...
"Suspicious" wasn't the point. The point was the vehicle was unlocked (and running) and that fact was being broadcast.

If you're worried about looking suspicious, here's what you'll want to do:
1) Put your remote in your right hand,
2) as you get out, put your right arm over the roof,
3) use your left to shut the door, (no honk,)
4) then hit the lock button as you walk off.
5) Perform five minute rain dance.

"Suspicious" wasn't the point. The point was the vehicle was unlocked (and running) and that fact was being broadcast.

If you're worried about looking suspicious, here's what you'll want to do:
1) Put your remote in your right hand,
2) as you get out, put your right arm over the roof,
3) use your left to shut the door, (no honk,)
4) then hit the lock button as you walk off.
5) Perform five minute rain dance.
Thanx! Though not elegant it gets the job done for now.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
I know of no work-around for shutting the rear hatch other than leaving a front door open or chucking the remote onto the rear seat and going to retrieve it...

Oh, you CAN lock your key fob in the car... I've seent it.
Let me tell you guys a quick story.

A couple friends and I drove up to northern Michigan for a camping trip last summer. We get to the campground, its really late, like 12:30am late, completely dark, and whatever neighbors are there are either asleep or finishing their last smores sandwhich and calling it a night. We find our campsite and decide we should just keep the headlights on while we put up our tents. Don't want to drain the battery, right? So 'lets keep the car running'.

Well, we all get out of the car, and before I slam the last/ front passenger door shut, double honk anxiety kicks in. I don't want that obnoxious noise to wake everyone up! 'Lets not disturb the neighbors' and 'lets think ahead this time' are all thoughts that came to my mind. So I reach into my pocket, grab the keyfob, and proceed to put it in one of the cup holders. Awesome.

As I step out of the car, I notice my cousin trying to get into the 2nd row for something, but can't, as the rear door is locked (door auto lock).

Normally I would reach into my pocket and use the keyfob, but alas! its no longer there. I PUT IT IN THE CUPHOLDER. And being the lazy person that I am, I ask myself - whats going to be the more convenient thing to do? Go through the process of stepping back into the car to grab the keyfob out of the cupholder, OR just extend out my arm and press the lock button on the center console?

Well. it was really late, and I was anxious to set up camp. Guess what I did? I chose to press the lock button.

And I pressed it a couple times. Thinking (incorrectly at the time) that the orange lock light meant that doors were now unlocked, I hastily shut my door. "Go ahead and try your door now', I told him. 'Hey its still locked', he said.

And this was the moment I knew something terrible just transpired. haha. 2 hours and 75 dollars later some guy in a beat up Cadillac drove over and professionally broke into my car. (We were out in the middle of the boonies, holiday weekend, and even the local police department said to seek help elsewhere -- So thank you kind stranger, whoever you are, who went out of your way and rescued a few stranded kids at 2 in the morning) lol.

And that is the story of how avoiding the dreaded double honk can lead you in to locking your key fob inside a running car, especially if you are stupid. [gunfire]

^^ Whats even more funny was that this was before we got to grab the six pack out of the trunk!

So about this fix to delete out or bypass the double honk. Has anyone done it yet, whether it be with a separate switch or by reprogramming code?

Can the dealers even get to the code or is the feature tied to a separate module?