Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

15" vs 16" Rim size, and 7" vs 8"

So can anyone give me the pros and cons of running a 15" vs 16" rim size? I want to drop from a 17, but I'm not sure if I want to go to a 15", will that make kill the tire sidewall strength? Is there a downside for canyon carving/autoX which is what I mostly do and want to do?

Same goes for 7" vs 8" width, is running a 15x8 comparable to a 16x7? Can I run 8" width on stock ride or will my wheels rub? I'm kinda a n00b in this area and wheels/tyres are about 5k miles out but I want to have all my research done before I pull the trigger on anything. Thanks for all the help.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Most of (with the exception of maybe ONE) the available tires for the 15" wheels we could possibly use are much shorter in overall diameter than the OEM/factory setup.

Although the ABS/ESC/all other 'nannies' will not be affected as long as using the same size (overall diameter) front and back, the speedometer (tuner adjustable??) will be (off) as will the overall effective gear ratio (NOT tuner adjustable), as well as the bigger fender gap on a non-lowered car (IF that means anything to you at all).
YES, you DO save a fair amount of the 'holy grail' un-sprung weight which is incessantly pounded into our heads on here by going to 15s, especially the feather weight ones everyone pushes on this site.

The 16s, although slightly heavier yes, do come much closer to the factory overall diameter when using a 215/45-16 tire on them, which most on here will then critique as being "too wide" for 'optimal' turn-in response on the 7" wide 16" diameter wheels that are our only choice for these cars, with very few exceptions.

'Criticisms' be damned, IF I go to 16s, that is EXACTLY what I plan on running for a STREET summer setup on mine. [wink]

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...Poor-steering-response-on-15s-compared-to-17s

be aware of the tire you are buying.

Talking to some guys who buy the stickier tires, they seem to not have the same issue with initial turn in response because they have stiffer sidewalls.

If that crisp tight turn in response that we all know and love is important to you, do not buy 15 inch wheels and BFG sport comp 2s. I didn't know it would be THAT bad, but I sacrificed initial turn in response for what will hopefully be (yet to be tested) same traction as stock, more longevity of tire life and comfort. My next tire will be a stiffer sidewalled tire, i'll bet you 500 dollars :( lol.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^Yes, that is the "one" I was referring to above, and is touted as the "be all, end all" for a street 15" size setup by the 'gurus' on here.

The 215/45-16 I plan to use on the 16x7s IS a stiffer sidewalled 200 tread wear 'autocross' tire, so that will probably make up for it being "too wide" for a 7" wide wheel as claimed by those same 'gurus', at least a little. ;)

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #5
So I think I want to go with a 16" wheel, what size width should I get then? Is there an advantage to 8' other than wider tires? Is that going to rub up on the car because its too wide? As for tire size, what size would I need on a 16" rim to keep the same OD of the tires? I want to drop wheel size and get some performance tires, but I just don't want low profile tires anymore.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The problem is that there are very few 16x8s for our cars in the correct offsets, PCD (bolt pattern), and center bore.

IF there were more made, in a brand/style I could live with, I would go 16x8 in a heartbeat, and put those same 215/45s on them, and be within .2" (taller) of the factory setup's overall diameter. [:)]

If the taller, 17x8s with 215/40-17s on them do not rub (at stock ride height OR slightly lowered), then the above 16x8 with 215/45s on them will not either (as long as the offset is correct).

^^Yes, that is the "one" I was referring to above, and is touted as the "be all, end all" for a street 15" size setup by the 'gurus' on here.

The 215/45-16 I plan to use on the 16x7s IS a stiffer sidewalled 200 tread wear 'autocross' tire, so that will probably make up for it being "too wide" for a 7" wide wheel by those same 'gurus', at least a little. ;)
Just because one person is not happy with them, does not mean they are not a great option. Not sure how many folks are running this setup on the forum (5 or 6) I've only heard one complaint.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just because one person is not happy with them, does not mean they are not a great option. Not sure how many folks are running this setup on the forum (5 or 6) I've only heard one complaint.
True, different strokes and all, but just because more have no problem with it than those that do, does not make it the "ultimate" street going setup either. [wink]
But, as long as YOU are happy with YOUR given setup, that is ALL that really matters, no?? (Just as the un-sprung weight fanatics on here tell me about whatever "not the lightest possible" rolling stock setup that I may choose/want to use.)

The REAL problem as I see it is that we are ALL at the mercy of these very fickle tire companies due to so few of them making the sizes we need anyway, that if ANY of them decide to drop (bowing to their corporate bean counters, or austerity measures from their shareholders) our needed/chosen size for a given wheel, yes, even the factory size, then we are ALL S.O.L.!! [mad] [:(]

As mentioned earlier, the 4x108 pattern is going to be the biggest obstacle you will face in finding a variety of other wheels, especially in smaller diameter

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #10
Well I think I'll stick to the 16x7 wheel size then, probably just going to do a 205/45 so I have options. I just want to see what I can run I guess. Since I want some rally wheels I've been shopping and found 2 manufacturers that I like...Braid and Speedline, anyone know where I could get those in the US?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well I think I'll stick to the 16x7 wheel size then, probably just going to do a 205/45 so I have options. I just want to see what I can run I guess. Since I want some rally wheels I've been shopping and found 2 manufacturers that I like...Braid and Speedline, anyone know where I could get those in the US?
PCA (sponsor on here) carries the Braids, I don't know who carries the Speedlines, but expect them to be $$$$ when you do find them.

(Speedline makes 16s for our cars with the correct; offsets, PCD, and center bores?? Is it the rally 'disc' style you were seeking, or the multi radial straight spoke, OZed Superturismo style???)

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #12
PCA (sponsor on here) carries the Braids, I don't know who carries the Speedlines, but expect them to be $$$$ when you do find them.

(Speedline makes 16s for our cars with the correct; offsets, PCD, and center bores?? Is it the rally 'disc' style you were seeking, or the multi radial straight spoke, OZed Superturismo style???)

These are the Speedlines I liked And these are the Braids I want

I was playing around in Forza last night, and originally wanted black rims, but white rims just pop with the magnetic I think. So rally white on rally wheels for me.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
These are the Speedlines I liked And these are the Braids I want

I was playing around in Forza last night, and originally wanted black rims, but white rims just pop with the magnetic I think. So rally white on rally wheels for me.
COOL find, as those Marmoras are NICE, and they are even flow formed so that the wheel snobs cannot even critique them for their construction (and hopefully not for whatever they weigh either, although, if it's anything over 9 lbs., that is DOUBTFUL LOL :( )! [thumb]

I take back what I said about their cost, as those are very reasonably priced. ;)

I believe that Chalon at PCA can get that model Braid wheel, but you will have to check with him on that and price/avaiability.

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #14
COOL find, as those Marmoras are NICE, and they are even flow formed so that the wheel snobs cannot even critique them for their construction (and hopefully not for whatever they weigh either, although, if it's anything over 9 lbs., that is DOUBTFUL LOL :( )! [thumb]

I take back what I said about their cost, as those are very reasonably priced. ;)

I believe that Chalon at PCA can get that model Braid wheel, but you will have to check with him on that and price/avaiability.
I just sent him a PM. but those Mamoras are for sure my top choice, it's just the shipping is about 200...although thinking about it, that's really not that bad. Especially for a company that pretty much only makes WRC wheels...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Well they (Speedline) were also known for their excellent road race wheels as well, as they were the original, and first racing wheels, on the factory team C5R Corvettes, among MANY other works teams, and still are to this day. [:)]

In fact, even for street/production wheels, GM sub-contracted them for the much sought after in that community, C5 Z06 wheels. [wink]

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #16
Well they (Speedline) were also known for their excellent road race wheels as well, as they were the original, and first racing wheels, on the factory team C5R Corvettes, among MANY other works teams, and still are to this day. [:)]

In fact, even for street/production wheels, GM sub-contracted them for the much sought after in that community, C5 Z06 wheels. [wink]
The fact is I like them more than the OZ Leggenda, which were my favorite wheels for a while, they come in 16" and they're cheaper to ship here than buying the OZs from tire rack. So hooray for making decisions!....now I just need to figure out my tires....

I'm very happy with my 16x7 et40 wheels with a 205/50 tire.

The taller tire has given the car some more needed gear height! I used to tap the Rev limiter more often then I liked and felt the car was geared a bit short to take advantage of the power band. Add in about 5lbs savings per wheel and the results are fantastic! Not to mention the significant improvements in ride quality and no visible change in fender gap on stock suspension.

Turn in is still crisp, I don't perceive any major change is sidewall flex, the car is still a total hoot to drive (better than stock in my opinion)

But that's what this all is. Opinions. I would be surprised if you weren't happy with what every you decide on! The car will still be a blast to drive :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, we DO get the most choices in tire variety with that size, and I agree with you on the overall gear ratio benefits with the taller overall diameter. [thumb]

Just as I CANNOT understand the desire by so many on here to run to/embrace a MUCH shorter than factory/OEM overall diameter setup of 23.0" OR LESS, thereby making already rev limiter surpassing factory gearing EVEN MORE unusable yet (not to mention the ridiculous wheel gap increase on a stock height car, but that is 'just aesthetics' so it does not 'count')????? [???:)]

OP
BiigMe
Thread Starter #19
^^^Yes, we DO get the most choices in tire variety with that size, and I agree with you on the overall gear ratio benefits with the taller overall diameter. [thumb]

Just as I CANNOT understand the desire by so many on here to run to/embrace a MUCH shorter than factory/OEM overall diameter setup of 23.0" OR LESS, thereby making already rev limiter surpassing factory gearing EVEN MORE unusable (not to mention the ridiculous wheel gap increase on a stock height car, but that is 'just aesthetics' so it does not 'count')????? [???:)]
I want to make my FiST theme like its rally brotheren, so I don't think wheel gap is that bad right now. In fact I don't want to lower the car at all because I already worry wayyy too much about scraping the front and I'd like a front splitter some day. That being said I really don't think the car needs much in turms of handling, I'm a follower of commonplatapus' 'this car doesn't need much' mantra, so if I do anything it would be some better dampening in the back (probably koni yellows) and betterer front sway bar.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
.4" is not that much shorter than stock diameter but I would prefer stock or a bit taller if tires were made to suit my needs. Running 225/45/15 on 15x9 which gives very good sidewall support, 8.25" of high grip rubber on the ground, 32lbs per corner weight, low cost, not many FiSTs could hang with it anywhere sticky summer tires or race tires are used:)

I would probably run a 16x7 over a 17x8 on this car if they were the only options available and also what tires fit my needs would be part of the decision.

The best all around wheel for this car would be a lower weight 16x8 with a good offset, I have championed that size for 2.5 years but I just would not spend the money on rare wheels I had to import at least 12 of at $400+ each plus shipping from Japan when I got even lighter and wider flow formed 15x8 wheels, ten shipped for $1240.

I just checked on the 16x8 flow formed 4x100 Advanti Storm, they hope to know something by the SEMA show, I thought they would be available by now:(

Speedline, great brand, I had 16 of those C5 Z06 forged wheels I got on a closeout for around $175 each then I had 8 of them widened to 12.5" for the rear, sold them to a racer that won a national championship on them.