Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Quick release steering wheel and harness bar....

Was wondering if anyone has done this in a fiesta. Looked around for the hub and didn't see any but probably me not looking hard enough. Was looking for a hub and quick release. Also looking to see if anyone has had a harness bar built for our car?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I don't know anything about the harness bars for these cars, so I will let someone else give their pro or con opinions about that subject.

But, I have been researching the aftermarket steering wheel option, and what I have come up with so far, after speaking to a mechanic at Tim O'Neil's Rally School (they would probably know since they are the North American M-Sport FIA legal, R2 rally conversion dealers/distributors) is that it CANNOT be done while retaining the factory electrically assisted steering rack and column because all of the complex, integrated sensors in the wheel and column will not convert over to an aftermarket wheel/hub (the air bag being eliminated in the process has NOTHING to do with this at all).

He told me that in order to use an aftermarket steering wheel/hub in these cars, one must convert (with a whole NEW rack, NOT by adapting the factory rack) to a hydraulic rack/system from either the FIA approved WRC R5, or R2 'kits' for the Fiesta. [:(]

I am going to call Vermont Sports Car rally prep shop on Monday and try to either confirm or refute the above info, if possible.

ANYONE at all on here know this for sure or not?? [???:)]

BRGT350?? Anyone?

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
I don't know anything about the harness bars for these cars, so I will let someone else give their pro or con opinions about that subject.

But, I have been researching the aftermarket steering wheel option, and what I have come up with so far, after speaking to a mechanic at Tim O'Neil's Rally School (they would probably know since they are the North American M-Sport FIA legal, R2 rally conversion dealers/distributors) is that it CANNOT be done while retaining the factory electrically assisted steering rack and column because all of the complex, integrated sensors in the wheel and column will not convert over to an aftermarket wheel/hub (the air bag being eliminated in the process has NOTHING to do with this at all).

He told me that in order to use an aftermarket steering wheel/hub in these cars, one must convert (with a whole NEW rack, NOT by adapting the factory rack) to a hydraulic rack/system from either the FIA approved WRC R5, or R2 'kits' for the Fiesta. [:(]

I am going to call Vermont Sports Car rally prep shop on Monday and try to either confirm or refute the above info, if possible.

BRGT350?? Anyone?
I'm pretty sure [MENTION=1862]15pbfist[/MENTION] didn't go through all of that for his quick disconnect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, I was HOPING that you would come on this thread since I had seen last night (on another thread) that you have the OMP wheel, and NRG QD listed in your sig! [thumb]

So, except for trying to find a resistor to turn off the AIR BAG dash light, and IF one does not care about the factory wheel's control buttons, there are NO OTHER problems with using an aftermarket hub/wheel, and that mechanic is totally wrong with the info they gave me (maybe as a discouraging disclaimer to cover their ass)??

In other words, there is NO electronic sensor interface necessary between the electric rack and the upper column/steering wheel/hub in order for the steering to function properly? [dunno]

THAT above is EXACTLY what I want, sans the Raptor kit! [:)]

BRGT350?? Anyone?
Absolutely not, the rack is a completely seperate part/callout. Replacing your steering wheel has nothing to do with your steering rack at all. You'll throw a code like any other OBD vehicle for SRS and you'll lose any buttons and cruise control unless you relocate them or repin them work with whatever addon.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Absolutely not, the rack is a completely seperate part/callout. Replacing your steering wheel has nothing to do with your steering rack at all. You'll throw a code like any other OBD vehicle for SRS and you'll lose any buttons and cruise control unless you relocate them or repin them work with whatever addon.
OK, THANKS!

I guess they (O'Neil's mechanic) were doing a "cover thine ass" liability type discouragement move, OR were trying to get me to buy a whole new CO$TLY steering rack conversion R2 kit from them? [dunno]

Ok for the quick disconect go to Nrg order the parts and then get your wheel if you want your buttons to work order the raptor by summit from the uk they are 800$ and you have to figure out the resistance for all the buttons you want
I may not have searched hard enough but I looked for an adapter from NRG but could not find anything. I have a '16 ST and I really want an aftermarket wheel because the stock one is huge and I'm not a fan. Could you provide me with the part number you used?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I still want to do this as well since I NEVER use the steering wheel radio controls, and have never used cruise control once in my life, even when driving across the entire country.

In fact, if cruise control could have been deleted on the order sheet, I would have done so, along with crank windows and manual mirrors!!

We have to find out which model number Momo, Sparco, OMP, etc. HUB is needed and then install the NRG or whomever's QD to that. [wink]

The hub as far as I remember it was the focus one that I used
M sport as far as window rollers the electric windows are lighter that is why the viper and other cars have them
Man I love the cruise control we were driving across the upper part of Michigan and allegedly I had my cruise set at around 130mph lol but also have done a ton of driving with out it because of the new steering wheel

M sport as far as window rollers the electric windows are lighter that is why the viper and other cars have them
Man I love the cruise control we were driving across the upper part of Michigan and allegedly I had my cruise set at around 130mph lol but also have done a ton of driving with out it because of the new steering wheel
Thanks, I searched again and found the hub. No idea how I missed it. Thanks!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, THANKS! [thumb]

And yes, I know that in some instances, the electric windows are slightly less weight than the manuals, but, the manual windows also have much less of a chance of failing down the line (see 4th gen f bodies for reference ;) ).

I also have MUCH better things to spend $900.00 on than those Raptor steering wheel controls (COOL as they are!) IF I do the aftermarket wheel conversion. [wink]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I had gone down the path of installing an aftermarket steering wheel in my 2000 Focus and vowed to never do it again to a modern car. Doing so turns off all of the airbags and seat belt retention system. It just isn't worth the risk and what happens to insurance when you have an accident when you disable the safety systems? When I tried selling my Focus, I had to put the factory wheel back in and there is a very complex set of instructions to get it plugged in right or else the fuses blow. I blew mine and had to pay a shop to take apart the console, replace the fuses, and reconnect the airbag so the car could be sold. I spent hundreds doing this.It sucked.

Anybody have a harness bar installed on their FiST? I'm looking to purchase a Sparco harness, and ideally would like a harness bar, but I'm also not opposed to bolting them to the frame of the rear passenger seat, if advised as an alternative.

Thoughts?

- JR

Ok for the quick disconect go to Nrg order the parts and then get your wheel if you want your buttons to work order the raptor by summit from the uk they are 800$ and you have to figure out the resistance for all the buttons you want
How’d you figure out the resistance and wiring?? Also noticed you live(d) in south gate, I grew up in Huntington park