Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2JR 3" Hi-Power Catback Exhaust - $529

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
You know, the 2J Racing website says there is a 20% restocking fee on returns. Considering the difficulty you are having with selling your exhaust, perhaps you could see if they will take it as a return with the 20% charge. That's probably better than you could do on a resale.
Didnt know that. Thanks.

What's the difference from the 409 Stainless Steel (dull finish) and the Aluminized Steel steel option?

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
The 409 series stainless steel will weigh slightly more than the aluminized steel, but will protect against rusting. So if you live in areas where salt is used to melt snow, I would suggest the 409 stainless steel. Aluminized steel is regular carbon steel that was coated with a hot dip aluminum coating. This would be perfectly adequate for those of us who live in warmer climates where we see little to no snow. 409 stainless ateel has higher levels of Chromium which forms oxides. Its these chromium oxides which make a steel stainless.

For the money, I like 304 stainless steel better because it develops a golden hue, this is due to the higher nickel content. However, if you get 409 stainless steel, check the surfaces annually, and clean any oxidation with a stainless steel brush or stainless steel scouring pad to keep it fresh. 409 will rust, if not taken care of, or if cleaned with carbon steel brushes. Stainless steel brushes are made from 300 series stainless, so they are non-magnetic. 409 stainless is magnetic, however. That is due to its lower nickel content.

Thanks for the infor WestCast, I called up Joe and ended up talking to him for a bit. Ordered the Aluminized steel + Race Downpipe + a wilwood brake set. Great deal and awesome dude.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Unfortunately I had to remove this stainless cbe. The drone was unbearable. Sold it to a forum member for less than half of what I paid and he says he also has drone on his car. So that rules out bad installation. I ended selling the brand new downpipe to him also because i was afraid to experience another problem. Another member who also has the drone problem bought the vibrant res and tells me it didnt remove the drone. I wanted to fully support this company but after this experience im gonna have to direct my support elswhere.

Unfortunately I had to remove this stainless cbe. The drone was unbearable. Sold it to a forum member for less than half of what I paid and he says he also has drone on his car. So that rules out bad installation. I ended selling the brand new downpipe to him also because i was afraid to experience another problem. Another member who also has the drone problem bought the vibrant res and tells me it didnt remove the drone. I wanted to fully support this company but after this experience im gonna have to direct my support elswhere.
Not very comforting reading this. My exhaust is scheduled to come in today. I already uninstalled my stock downpipe and exhaust. I had to cut my exhaust off using a dremel so there's no way I'll be able to get the stock one back on. I'll post my results later today once I get my 2JR pipes on.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Not very comforting reading this. My exhaust is scheduled to come in today. I already uninstalled my stock downpipe and exhaust. I had to cut my exhaust off using a dremel so there's no way I'll be able to get the stock one back on. I'll post my results later today once I get my 2JR pipes on.
Not everyone that purchased this cbe is experiencing drone which is mind boggling.

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Weird over 6 months on mine and on track or off track as a daily driver I still very happy and sometimes think it is too quiet .. I did the Aluminized one if that matters

Also ran Both Catted and now catless DP from Joe with great results on both catless for just a wee bit more powa

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Its probably the 409 stainless steel causing resonance I dunno man. Im really disappointed :(

westcoaST

1000 Post Club
Frequency response is an exact science and is related to the diameter (OD and ID) of the tube, as well as the material type and physical properties. There is an equation, called the Euler Bernoulli equation that allows one to determine resonant frequencies. Mass per length (ML) is a variable, as is Youngs Modulus (E).

Here is the equation (Den Hertog, P 432 mechanical vibrations) W = an*SQRT(E*I(MU*L^4))

f = an*sqrt(E*(pi*(OD^4-ID^4)/64/(MU*L))/2*pi

This will tell one, analytically where srong resonance peaks are.

Here is material data for 316 stainless steel

E = 1.93X10^11 N/m^2
Density = 8000 kg/m^3
Poissons Ratio = 0.26
We would need the axial and radial sound velocity, in meters per second, and the mechanical impedence to solve this equation. But there would be multiple frequencies where resonance would occur.

Changing material types can have an effect on resonance frequencies, as can changing the sound velocity. Thats why certain RPMs result in droning, and others do not. Take a look at cp-e nexus exhausts for designs that tune out resonance. For our application (FiSTs), 3" exhausts have a higher tendency to drone. That is why the MBRP exhaust says its a 3" diameter exhaust, but really isn't. This is to prevent droning. 409 is a martensitic stainless, as has a slightly lower density than 316 stainless. One is lower(409), and the other higher (316) density than regular carbon steel, used in aluminized exhausts. Lower densities increase resonance frequency response.

In the ducting systems I work on at my place of business, high speed vibration can cause fatigue failures, so we design all of our ducting with analytical vibrational analysis, which is verified by testing.

Me, I'm either going for the Cobb 316 or the Mountune, depending on the material and diameter.

Just got it installed with the Race Downpipe. The exhaust is whisper quiet at 1.7k-2.2k rpms. There is some slight drone but nothing out of the ordinary. The front wont hook up as easily as before when I floor it. Overall great exhaust. My only gripe is that the supplied bolts that hook up the rear muffler to the mid pipe were too short. I had to go to home depot and buy some longer bolts. Other than that I'm diggin it so far.

Thanks Joe.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
Just got it installed with the Race Downpipe. The exhaust is whisper quiet at 1.7k-2.2k rpms. There is some slight drone but nothing out of the ordinary. The front wont hook up as easily as before when I floor it. Overall great exhaust. My only gripe is that the supplied bolts that hook up the rear muffler to the mid pipe were too short. I had to go to home depot and buy some longer bolts. Other than that I'm diggin it so far.

Thanks Joe.

Oh no, Home Depot parts on your car.
That's where it starts.
I know, this is how it got me.

Now every weekend you will need to add your car to the "Honey Do List".
Every waking hour, you will thinking of what you can do to it next.
Now you will be constantly be modding your car.

Wait,
They didn't have Home Depots when I started.

Oh well,
You will be doing all that anyway.

Dave

meFiSTo

I'd like to interject a comment into this thread about Joe and 2J Racing. This exhaust (SS version) did not work for me. We tried to mitigate a persistent, loud midrange drone with a replacement resonator, but saw no apparent improvement.

As a result, I returned the exhaust and replaced it with a much quieter option that better suits my intended use. My wife is ecstatic. Now we just need to find a way to make the Recaro seat more comfy for her. Hah.

While I was sorely disappointed that this solution did not work, 2J Racing was very fair to me. They paid for the return shipping of all the parts, fully reimbursed me for the replacement resonator, and provided partial (but totally appropriate) compensation for the big exhaust. The exhaust has been on the car since mid-May, although the mileage on the car is VERY low.

I am sad that this did not work out, but am completely satisfied with the overall vendor experience.

I would not hesitate to buy other products from 2J Racing if they map to my application requirements. However, I've just purchased a big pile of FRPP/mountune parts, so there's not a lot on my list right now that maps to what Joe offers, but there are few things. My wallet just needs to take a rest.

Thank you Joe and Brock for a first-rate customer experience.