Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2JR 3" Hi-Power Catback Exhaust - $529

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #101
Looking at the pictures, it looks as if the crash brace is rubbing but you said you spaced it out. Do this - and should be fairly easy to do. Remove the brace completely and check the nuts on the exhaust clamp. It looks like there should be a little more threads showing. Lastly, replace the OEM gasket bw the downpipe and the catback with the 2JR 2 bolt gasket.

What I have noticed is the exhaust gets quieter with the larger downpipe vs the OEM downpipe. MeFisto, are you running a stock DP? With the race DP and 2JR catback, its actually pretty quiet. I wonder if the stock DP is causing some of the resonance.

There is a vibrant resonator I really like and holds up well to abuse. I made the exhaust so the resonator can be swapped out easily. Let me build one ASAP and see how it does - and we can make that a simple bolt on option.

http://vibrantperformance.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=1022_1033_1055&products_id=47

2jrex.jpg
2jrex1.jpg

^^ its the only resonator I run on our Time Attack car and its quiet.
Joe I can guarantee nothing is near rubbing on my car and you know I have your catted DP installed with the 2 layer gasket. Going from the stock DP to the 2J DP didn't make a noticeable difference.

You are a good guy Joe and I like the system in general. I hope we can find an answer to this or I will have to put something else on. It's just too intense inside the car and really the biggest annoyance for me is how it distorts the frequency so bad that I can't gage the engine RPM by the sound.

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #104
Maybe we could do a loud and quiet option. I made the resonator pipe long enough to run varying sizes. I'll order in a couple different ones and post up the results.

Maybe we could do a loud and quiet option. I made the resonator pipe long enough to run varying sizes. I'll order in a couple different ones and post up the results.
Joe my issue isn't loud, it's a drone/resonance/distortion like I have never experienced before. It seriously vibrates my brain. I don't have a problem with the volume outside the car at all. It's the inside sound that's killing me.

meFiSTo

I hear ya (no pun intended) - check out the reviews from the Vibrant. I think this will really help

http://www.amazon.com/Vibrant-1142-...iewpoints=1&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending
Hello Joe: Are you proposing perhaps a swap out for a the resonator section? Getting a setup that does not drone would be awesome. Thanks for paying attention to our concerns.

Also: Yes, I am running the stock downpipe. However, I don't want to run an open pipe (it's a street car in a county with bi-annual smog checks). I'd have to run the aftermarket high-flow cat at the very least. And I'd want it to pass smog, run without CELs. I could do it.

- Kim

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I dont plan to install your DP till a tune to remove the cell is released.

meFISTto is yours stainless or aluminized?

Joe could the resonance have something to do with the SS piping?

I dont have a problem with the loudneas really, its the drone at the 2.5k-4k rpm range that deafens me inside the cabin. Im willing to try anything to get rid of it.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I wonder if this is why the CP-e exhaust has that resonation chamber out back. I wonder if they tuned it to cancel out those frequencies.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Joe sent me a defouler for my catted dp. And Colin I believe has the catted also and he gets a cel from time to time.

meFiSTo

I dont plan to install your DP till a tune to remove the cell is released.

meFISTto is yours stainless or aluminized?

Joe could the resonance have something to do with the SS piping?

I dont have a problem with the loudneas really, its the drone at the 2.5k-4k rpm range that deafens me inside the cabin. Im willing to try anything to get rid of it.
Stainless steel. Sigh. I hope this is not a stainless steel piping related issue. Same on the drone vs. loudness, but if the drone can be dialed out, fantastic. It's not deafening for me, but I have not been in the car for long periods of time since the install. The stock setup was practically silent.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Joe are you gonna send us a replacement free of charge or do we have to test this out of our own pocket?

meFiSTo

Joe are you gonna send us a replacement free of charge or do we have to test this out of our own pocket?
That is, of course, the main question for all of us. But I think Joe first has to test the Vibrant resonator setup to determine if it has any effect on the mid-range drone.

Joe: Please test the SS version.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
I was just about to say test the SS. It seems people wi th aluminized doeant have this problem.

meFiSTo

I was just about to say test the SS. It seems people wi th aluminized doeant have this problem.
Yes. Right at this moment I'm feeling a little silly for shelling out the extra $$$. Car does sound awesome when asked to accelerate with a little conviction (any kind of meaningful throttle expression over 4500 RPM; very nice through 5000 RPM...still avoiding anything above that...even that is only when absolutely needed at present). I wonder if this kind of thing mellows out at all as the exhaust ages. Seems unlikely. Would be nice if some kind of solution is found.