Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

2JR 3" Hi-Power Catback Exhaust - $529

Trader history for joe@2j-racing (0)

meFiSTo

Well I have a Catted DP and get the goofy P0420 CEL
Bleh. I do not want CELs. Oh please let there be a "simple" drone fix for my SS catback exhaust. I don't find it "deafening" but it is quite loud under the right conditions. Worst at about 3100 to 3500 RPM either downhill deceleration or uphill mild acceleration. Definitely drowns out the sound system.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
There something good im getting out of all of this...gas milage... i shift at 2k now just so I stay out of drone zone lol

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
Bleh. I do not want CELs. Oh please let there be a "simple" drone fix for me SS catback exhaust. I don't find it "deafening" but it is quite loud under the right conditions. Worst at about 3100 to 3500 RPM either downhill deceleration or uphill mild acceleration. Definitely drowns out the sound system.
It can be a simple tune to fix your CEL as that code is silly anyway but it is what it is.. Here is a idea someone send me a SS midpipe and I'll test it one my ALsteel pipe to see if it is the issue or if it is somewhere else.. Shame to as this is a nice pipe when it is right..

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
It can be a simple tune to fix your CEL as that code is silly anyway but it is what it is.. Here is a idea someone send me a SS midpipe and I'll test it one my ALsteel pipe to see if it is the issue or if it is somewhere else.. Shame to as this is a nice pipe when it is right..
What will you do when goin to dealer and remove the tune? Cel will pop back up?

rodmoe

5000 Post Club
More than likely though I tend to NOT go to the dealer unless in dire need of smoke blown up my tootie.. Seriously the code is not a instant thing I have been using a tune from Randy at Mountune for a day or two and now code driving down the hwy and doing a few 3/4th gear data pulls. so it baffles me the when and why it pops up I can't make it happen it just does.. Weird so thats why I call it "The Goofy P0420" code

meFiSTo

There something good im getting out of all of this...gas milage... i shift at 2k now just so I stay out of drone zone lol
Particularly vexing as the car was practically silent (drone free) with the stock exhaust right through the RPM range and this 2J Racing product is otherwise a very nice sounding exhaust.

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #127
I dont know how the SS would make a difference in sound but my ST runs the SS system. We received the vibrant parts in today so I'll draw up two different front sections and see what changes.

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #130
I have resonance at that RPM but its not bad or annoying. Some of that may be each persons preference and tolerance on sound. I'm not knocking anyone individually so dont take it that way. We all have different standards. For example, I raced a Ferrari 360 with a Tubi exhaust. Mind you, this 360 was full street trim, and at idle and below 4K, the resonance was so bad that I could feel the inside of my ear vibrating. And I had on a helmet. It was so bad, I cut my time short and handed the keys back.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Joe you a good guy, you sound sincere about your products but if you experienced reaonance/drone in this system I wish you would have warned the non racer like myself. I figured since its resonated it wouldnt drone nor reaonance ita the reason why I bought this one rather than others on the market. Hopefully this vibrant res can solve my issues.

I agree Joe everybody has different tastes and tolerances, but does anybody else get what I am saying about the distortion? I mean let's say I roll along part throttle at a constant 3000 rpm at the lower threshold of the resonance. Then I start to roll into the throttle and the resonance gets really bad ... I know the rpms are rising, but the sound I hear actually DROPS in frequency as the distortion gets really intense. The frequency seems to stay about the same until I am completely out of the drone rpm range and then I can hear the engine speed clearly again. Also if I am hard on the throttle from the start then I get almost no drone as the rpms pass through the drone zone..

meFiSTo

Joe you a good guy, you sound sincere about your products but if you experienced reaonance/drone in this system I wish you would have warned the non racer like myself. I figured since its resonated it wouldnt drone nor reaonance ita the reason why I bought this one rather than others on the market. Hopefully this vibrant res can solve my issues.
Sigh. Same.

I agree Joe everybody has different tastes and tolerances, but does anybody else get what I am saying about the distortion? I mean let's say I roll along part throttle at a constant 3000 rpm at the lower threshold of the resonance. Then I start to roll into the throttle and the resonance gets really bad ... I know the rpms are rising, but the sound I hear actually DROPS in frequency as the distortion gets really intense. The frequency seems to stay about the same until I am completely out of the drone rpm range and then I can hear the engine speed clearly again. Also if I am hard on the throttle from the start then I get almost no drone as the rpms pass through the drone zone..
And that too. I'm sure I'm pretty much experiencing the same exact thing.

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #134
I hear you and we are working to add options to the exhaust. But we have sold about 20 sets and never had a single complaint. Everyone has their preference. We posted videos. Other people posted videos and comments.

Same thing with the delrin motor mount. Some like it, some dont. Its your own preference. A company cant make one product that keeps everyone happy. Some people call us and spec out stiff coilovers, some want soft. Thats what I am trying to do with the exhaust - accommodate everyone. I hope you can understand.

Oh wow...this is a riveting thread..and I hope everyone's problem is resolved..I have a droning noise...even at 30mph...a higher pitch than road noise...and I really don't think our car has loud road noise...it's something else...I have driven over ribbed, torn up roads ready to be repaved...noise ok from tires..textured concrete..noise ok from tires...it's this freaking hum...at one second I think it's the tires...but how can I hear the same goddamn noise at 30mph...something strange is afoot the Circle K...it might not be the same noise you guys are experiencing, but I am ready for earplugs....can it be hangers without enough insulation?...for me I'm thinking vibration, but that post about waves has got me thinking.....HAS ANYONE EXPERIENCED AN ANNOYING HUM FROM THEIR STOCK FiST?.....or it's the...lol...fuel pump...for me...you guys seem to have something else going on...but if anyone else hears what I hear, let me know...oh I just realized this may be off topic...my apologies

OP
joe@2j-racing
Thread Starter #137
We are welding the front sections this week and will wrap up our testing by Friday. Both the large and small resonators will clear the heat shields.

Doogie - when I had mine up on the rack, we have a ton of clearance between the crash brace and exhaust with no spacers. And also we have more threads showing on the U-bolt clamp. Make sure that the nuts on the front section is VERY TIGHT since we use a thick gasket with thin sides. The ends of the flange bend inward to ensure a tight seal.
You can adjust the exhaust so it clears the crash brace with no problem.

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
The pipe never was touching the crash brace to begin with but it was pretty close to it thats why I had spacer put in just incase it did under load.

Just another data point: tonight I replaced the U-bolt clamp with a lap joint band clamp and double checked the rear joint too. No difference. It just seems like a function of the design, so I expect a different resonator to make a difference.