Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Think clutch just let go need help..

Hi, car had 65 000 km, i was coming off a red light hard acceleration and the clutch completly let go the rev went up hi and the pedal started to feel numb im having hard time moving the shifter trhoght the gear when i press the clutch... i can still '' drive'' the car but the clutch is barely grabbing and if i press to hard on the gaz it starts slipping and the rev goes up but i mon moving acording to the rev...
any idea..?

thanks guys!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Would/could these symptoms be caused by bad/faulty clutch hydraulics (master/slave cylinders, throw out bearing, line leaks, etc.)?? [dunno]

I agree; sounds like something sticking/seized/broken in the slave/throw-out, not allowing the clutch to fully engage or disengage. If it was worn/slipping, it would still fully disengage still, yet he says it's hard to shift. Still under warranty, take it in ASAP.

OP
rastok
Thread Starter #7
Took it in they said it was the clutch, that it has overheated " I'm convinced it overheated while I drove it the the dealership slipping all the way" and they told me it caused the slave to go bad..

So 2000$ later they changed the clutch, pressure plate, flywheel and slave..

Dang man you could have gotten an upgraded clutch and aluminum flywheel for less than that. It's weird that it went out so soon and wasn't covered under warranty. And just weird that it went out so soon.

Dr. Prutteklutt and I beat the hell out of our cars and we're both on stock clutch. Last time we met up I think he had about 70,000km on his and nearly all track use as he has another car for a daily driver.

If the Clutch is worn and slipps once its the End and will not get better...

grnmachine02

Dang man you could have gotten an upgraded clutch and aluminum flywheel for less than that. It's weird that it went out so soon and wasn't covered under warranty. And just weird that it went out so soon.

Dr. Prutteklutt and I beat the hell out of our cars and we're both on stock clutch. Last time we met up I think he had about 70,000km on his and nearly all track use as he has another car for a daily driver.
Unfortunately, clutches will rarely ever be covered under warranty. As far as the manufacturer is concerned it's a wear and tear item. They feel as though the driver is directly responsible for the amount of said wear and tear. Which in 95% of cases, they are. Not saying you did anything wrong, and I'm not defending the dealer. Just saying that's how it is.

Warranty is not a 100% fix anything that breaks guarantee. It's only there to cover manufacturer defects. Again, not placing blame.

I would escalate your claim above the dealer level. You did say the clutch was slipping after the original event; so I agree the condition probably overheated the clutch.
The original cause was probably the slave/throw-out, which should be under warranty.

I would escalate your claim above the dealer level. You did say the clutch was slipping after the original event; so I agree the condition probably overheated the clutch.
The original cause was probably the slave/throw-out, which should be under warranty.
^This. You're telling me they said a worn or "overheating" clutch caused the slave to go bad and not the other way around? That makes no sense. Much more likely the slave went bad, the clutch wasn't fully disengaging, which made shifting difficult and burned up the clutch. This should all be covered.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
^This. You're telling me they said a worn or "overheating" clutch caused the slave to go bad and not the other way around? That makes no sense. Much more likely the slave went bad, the clutch wasn't fully disengaging, which made shifting difficult and burned up the clutch. This should all be covered.
I had this happen and dealer covered new clutch and flywheel under warranty. It happened 2,000 miles after they replaced engine. Which I'm sure was related.

Im with greenmschine on this one....Clutch is one of those wear and tear parts...BUT...if this happened before and your dealer ignored it or did not do anything.....then escalate it past the dealer for sure.....good luck.

I believe OP had/has an aftermarket lightweight flywheel... could this be part of the problem? Did you have the aftermarket flywheel prior to the clutch issue?

I think, typically, when the slave cylinder fails, it stops lifting the clutch. You get permanent engagement, not partial engagement. Unless it seized up and wouldn't collapse under the force of the pressure plate. I would've asked to look at the bad parts. Hell, if I pay for the job, I would keep all of the replaced parts. Of course, if that above is true, the OP probably has a sense that the aftermarket parts are to blame and is, thus, reluctant to argue with the dealer.