Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast
36 Likes

Thread: Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Member 26 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Cleveland
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Been running them in 205/45 17 on stock rims for a couple weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them! Great in dry and wet. I don't track the car but they grip well for spirited street driving.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Fort Carson
    State
    CO
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by lytheum View Post
    Been running them in 205/45 17 on stock rims for a couple weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them! Great in dry and wet. I don't track the car but they grip well for spirited street driving.
    I've been considering going up tot hat size, but am hesitant due to their larger diameter sucking away some power through gearing and throwing my speedo off. Really hoping when I go to the Firestone on base on Tuesday that the stock size is able to be ordered and I can get them thrown on. After this trip tomorrow, I will need new tires very soon.
    2016 Kona Blue Fiesta ST - 16x7 Team Dynamic Pro Race 1.2 in white, 205/50 Bridgestone RE71R, symposer delete, Whoosh Motorsports wing riser kit, RamAir kit filter, AWR RMM 88A, Powerstop Evolution Z23 brake pads

---Past Cars--- (the fun ones anyways)
    2011 Kona Blue Mustang GT
    2003 Infra Red Focus SVT ZX5
    2004 Screaming Yellow Mustang GT
    2000 Mahogany Mica Miata SE
    1993 Bitch-blue & Barbie-pink Geo Tracker 4x4

Member 31 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Birmingham
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 92FOX View Post
    I've been considering going up tot hat size, but am hesitant due to their larger diameter sucking away some power through gearing and throwing my speedo off. Really hoping when I go to the Firestone on base on Tuesday that the stock size is able to be ordered and I can get them thrown on. After this trip tomorrow, I will need new tires very soon.
    https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Appx 2mph difference from 205/40-17 at 65mph. And as the tread depth decreases, that difference closes to less than 1mph. Not enough to make a noticeable difference IMHO...

Member 26 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Cleveland
    State
    OH
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Doesn't seem to hurt power on the butt dyno. I couldn't decide between 215 or 205s.

Plus the extra side wall helps cushion the ride a bit.

Member 76 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points  
    City
    Viva Las Vegas!
    State
    NV
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    14 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

I just got mine a week ago. I'm riding on stock suspension and wheels and went for 205/45's. All I can say is wow... what a difference a good tire that's 13 years newer in design makes. I know these are the re-branded Bridgestone RE0S03's, but they just destroy the RE050's. That's a tire that Tire Rack was doing tests in the early 2000's by the way. 140 treadwear is awful, but I would have been able to eek out a few more months on mine if I didn't get a nail in my tire. The repair started to leak, so I knew it was time. I couldn't be happier with these amazing Indy 500s. I have about 300 miles on them and they are brilliant. I read through this thread and they are still better than I could imagine. On a stock height, stock suspension car, the tires fill the gap perfectly, and the design looks amazing, especially with some tire glaze!

After about a day I really notice how quiet these tires are. The taller profile absolutely sucks up all the old bounces and issues the stock tires had. Because of the reviews, I'm biased to think that it's not just the taller sidewall that makes these tires feel so much more plush. Plus, even with the taller sidewall, they ABSOLUTELY corner better. The car sticks, and you can really feel how much stiffer the two-ply sidewalls are on this car. After 26K miles on my 2016, I was starting to get a little tired of the ride quality, and the tires wearing really increased the amount of wheelspin with my lightly modified car. I can't even break the car loose on these new tires, literally everything is improved. I'm upset there's few high-performance 205 choices in 17 inch wheels, but if you stay on stock height suspension, this is a perfect tire. Can't recommend enough.

I lusted after some Pilot Super Sports in the same size, but $88 a tire or whatever vs. $155 a tire on Tire Rack.... this is a no brainer. The PSS is NOT almost double the quality tire.
    2016 Fiesta ST - White Platinum Tri-Coat, Navigation, Recaro Package

Active Shift Designs pedal spacer, Boomba - Symposer delete, brake deflectors, COBB - Accessport, RMM, Deadhook Motorsports - Race crash bar/intercooler, Diode Dynamics LED fogs, FSWerks Short-shift adapter, Huskyliner floor mats, MAPerformance - Cat-back, charge pipes, intake, Mishimoto trunk brace, Pierce Motorsports - 2-point lower brace, torsion bar brace, Suntek - 35F/17R tint, Rally Armor - Mud flaps, TB Performance cross member brace, Tune+ - IWG controller, tune, spark plugs, Xenon Depot H11 LED bulbs, Xpel film

Member 62 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    LA
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Solort View Post
    Remember that your speedometer/ odometer accuracy will also change due to depth of tread. New tires will have 5/8 in more diameter than tires worn past the 2/32 tread indicators....

Yes, I know. The worn tires were new at one time also. I believe that the true comparison should be based on that instead. In any case though, the odometer reading won't change much between those sizes. I think a larger difference will be seen in the mpg reading since it's a bit more sensitive to small differences.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Member 31 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    Birmingham
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by neeqness View Post
    Yes, I know. The worn tires were new at one time also. I believe that the true comparison should be based on that instead. In any case though, the odometer reading won't change much between those sizes. I think a larger difference will be seen in the mpg reading since it's a bit more sensitive to small differences.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
    No worries. It seems that so many people get hung up on OEM sizes for Speedo accuracy, but forget about the fact that any tires you put on will change circumference (and speedo accuracy) as they wear. I use Waze for my driving, and it will tell you how accurate your speedo is at different speeds.

With the ST, I would not think you would feel any change by the slight tire size change (and by the reviews here, will feel vast improvement in ride and handling with good tires)...

Senior Member 531 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

^^^I could not give a CRAP about odo/speedo readings being effected, but rubbing/scraping/gouging brand new tires because they are too tall is something I cannot/will not tolerate.

Granted, the sizes I would want to use (215/45-17/225/45-17) are MUCH taller, and therefore MUCH MORE rub-prone (even at factory ride height/on factory suspension) than the 205/45-17s being discussed above. ;)
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Member 31 Rep Points

Medals
    City
    Birmingham
    State
    AL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M-Sport fan View Post
    ^^^I could not give a CRAP about odo/speedo readings being effected, but rubbing/scraping/gouging brand new tires because they are too tall is something I cannot/will not tolerate.

Granted, the sizes I would want to use (215/45-17/225/45-17) are MUCH taller, and therefore MUCH MORE rub-prone (even at factory ride height/on factory suspension) than the 205/45-17s being discussed above. ;)
    Saw a friend that has a 2016 ST at Dixie Nat Tour on 215/45-17 RE71R on stock Rado wheels and he said they work well. Offset of wheels when you start expanding height and/or width of tires can make or break you with rubbing issues. I try to use a corticosteroid cream when I have rubbing issues

Senior Member 531 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Quote Originally Posted by Solort View Post
    I try to use a corticosteroid cream when I have rubbing issues
    IF ONLY that could be used to solve/prevent damage to side walls, and tread shoulders when using too tall a tire on our cars!
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415 LastLast