Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yup, poor maintenance is the main culprit. Wish I could say our roads are maintained but they aren't and I suspect that even when they are, the quality is poor. We don't get much rain but new roads in my area can begin getting cracks and potholes (albeit smaller ones) after the first rainy season...which is really sad considering that our rainy seasons are literally laughable compared to other parts of the country.

I'm holding back a snicker just at me calling it a rainy season, lol.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

What pressures are you guys using for these? I have 205/50-16 (Went with the bigger sidewall for a few reasons; closer to OEM Diameter, wider contact path, and the roads I take to work everyday make Pennsylvania look like the shining example of road quality) I'm using the OEM tire pressures for now because I haven't had time to push these tires yet and try different pressures.

So what do you guys run? or think is optimal?
Sorry I can't answer your question but...

How do you like the 205/50r16 size? Supposedly it's the SL tire vs the 205/45r16 being an XL which has a stiffer sidewall. True?

I only ask because I want that size on slipstreams.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

How do you like the 205/50r16 size? Supposedly it's the SL tire vs the 205/45r16 being an XL which has a stiffer sidewall. True?

I really like it, I think it has a few benefits- the OD of the tire is off from stock by ~0.2" rather than almost an inch so the speedo will still be accurate. I really like the look of the meatier tire, and the tread is also a bit wider than the 45 sidewall.
As far as performance, you can feel a verrry slight flex in the sidewall on turn in, but it really isn't much and for all I know it could just be in my head. I want to eventually get some bracing and that should fix it right up, but I also feel like I have more grip than I did with the OEM tires. And the other big thing for me is the improvement in ride because of the bigger sidewall.

Side note....do you live on Alabama? I might live a few houses down from you...

HBEcoBeaST

I really like it, I think it has a few benefits- the OD of the tire is off from stock by ~0.2" rather than almost an inch so the speedo will still be accurate. I really like the look of the meatier tire, and the tread is also a bit wider than the 45 sidewall.
As far as performance, you can feel a verrry slight flex in the sidewall on turn in, but it really isn't much and for all I know it could just be in my head. I want to eventually get some bracing and that should fix it right up, but I also feel like I have more grip than I did with the OEM tires. And the other big thing for me is the improvement in ride because of the bigger sidewall.

Side note....do you live on Alabama? I might live a few houses down from you...
Nice I like the 'fuller' wheel well look and extra rubber never hurt[emoji16]

I've heard some say they feel the slight loss of turn in feel when going to 16s but if you can barely/maybe feel it on 205/50s I'm ok with that. I'm sure it rides much better than stock too.

I live in southern California.
Edit: thought you meant in Alabama not ON Alabama St. I live on Florida St. No way I've seen a silver one around often not too many FiSTs just a little of FoST and RS folks around here.

I have 205/50-16 (Went with the bigger sidewall for a few reasons; closer to OEM Diameter
Hmm, so according to https://tiresize.com/calculator/, stock 205/40r17 is 23.5", 205/45r16 is 23.3" (-0.2") and 205/50r16 is 24.1" (+0.6"), so 45r16 is actually closer to OEM than 50r16? Or am I missing something? Looking at Indy 500 specs on Tirerack gives the same numbers.

HBEcoBeaST

I believe that BiigMe was asking which street/avenue you are located on, since he is in the same town as yourself. ;)
Haha yeah I edited my post. Hopefully he hasn't seen me hooning around. My excuse is I'm trying to kill my crappy igen imove 2 AS tires the car came with.

DaveG99

Supposedly if you stretch the tire a bit it will have a much tighter turn in. So a 205 on a 8" wheel should work great. But the indys dont run real wide. What size slipstreams?

Nice I like the 'fuller' wheel well look and extra rubber never hurt[emoji16]

I've heard some say they feel the slight loss of turn in feel when going to 16s but if you can barely/maybe feel it on 205/50s I'm ok with that. I'm sure it rides much better than stock too.

I live in southern California.
Edit: thought you meant in Alabama not ON Alabama St. I live on Florida St. No way I've seen a silver one around often not too many FiSTs just a little of FoST and RS folks around here.

Yeah I'm a big fan of the 205/50s, especially with the roads we have around here.

And yeah I meant Alabama St. There's a dude with a silver fist a few houses down from me but other than that I don't really see many

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

HBEcoBeaST

Supposedly if you stretch the tire a bit it will have a much tighter turn in. So a 205 on a 8" wheel should work great. But the indys dont run real wide. What size slipstreams?
No slipstreams yet until I wear down my cheapy tires. Was planning on 16x7s et38 for lightweight and affordability. Love the 16x8 look but they weigh like 3lbs more each, cost more, pricey tires, etc.

This is my daily so the Firehawk 500s seem perfect. With our crappy roads the 205/50r16s should help ride quality while still performing.

HBEcoBeaST

Yeah I'm a big fan of the 205/50s, especially with the roads we have around here.

And yeah I meant Alabama St. There's a dude with a silver fist a few houses down from me but other than that I don't really see many

Nice! Yea I have a black top and side mirrors with tint. Would live to see your set up sometime and judge the look of the tires. I'm just stage 1 waiting for my e30 tune from Stratified. Trying to be patient....

Nice! Yea I have a black top and side mirrors with tint. Would live to see your set up sometime and judge the look of the tires. I'm just stage 1 waiting for my e30 tune from Stratified. Trying to be patient....

I'd love to show it off haha, I have a magnetic with orange mirror caps, sparco wheels and mudflaps so if I ever see you around I'll honk haha

CSM

1000 Post Club
Just hit 5k miles on my 205/40/17 Firehawk Indy 500s. All highway miles, no events. Fronts measure at about 8/32 to 8.5/32s, rears are still at 9/32s. I did a rotation today too. Hoping to get ~35k out of these!

DaveG99

No slipstreams yet until I wear down my cheapy tires. Was planning on 16x7s et38 for lightweight and affordability. Love the 16x8 look but they weigh like 3lbs more each, cost more, pricey tires, etc.

This is my daily so the Firehawk 500s seem perfect. With our crappy roads the 205/50r16s should help ride quality while still performing.

The problem with the 16" wheel is that tires are about $30-$40 more per tire and the selection is much more limited (in sticky 200 or less tread wear) compared to a 205/50/15. I do prefer the look of a 16" wheel or even a 17" wheel but Im also trying to get a much lighter wheel and most the 17's are heavy.

HBEcoBeaST

The problem with the 16" wheel is that tires are about $30-$40 more per tire and the selection is much more limited (in sticky 200 or less tread wear) compared to a 205/50/15. I do prefer the look of a 16" wheel or even a 17" wheel but Im also trying to get a much lighter wheel and most the 17's are heavy.
I haven't really seen that much of a price difference. This thread is about the Firestone Indy 500s tires so most on here won't be as concerned about 200 and below rated tires. This is more of a daily summer/good tread life tire vs. all out performance set up.

DaveG99

I haven't really seen that much of a price difference. This thread is about the Firestone Indy 500s tires so most on here won't be as concerned about 200 and below rated tires. This is more of a daily summer/good tread life tire vs. all out performance set up.

Agreed. I'm running a set of these indys on my car and they were cheap! $89 in stock size.

Is anyone running these tires on a 17x8 wheel?! I have made the wheel purchase and been doing some tire research and I’m not overwhelmed by most of the 215/40 size tire options available. I’m considering getting these in 205/45/17 for the new wheels. I’m on eibach springs and b8s and don’t have plants to go lower. No problems trimming and massaging the fender liners if need be a little bit.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Is anyone running these tires on a 17x8 wheel?! I have made the wheel purchase and been doing some tire research and I’m not overwhelmed by most of the 215/40 size tire options available. I’m considering getting these in 205/45/17 for the new wheels. I’m on eibach springs and b8s and don’t have plants to go lower. No problems trimming and massaging the fender liners if need be a little bit.
As long as you aren't expecting top performance, these tires are awesome. Great grip all around in wet and dry and actually fairly comfortable and relatively quiet considering what you are getting and the price is not bad either! That size worked great for me and filled in the fender gap nicely with stock suspension and wheels.

However, with that drop and at that same size they may start rubbing...especially if your roads are not the smoothest. Perhaps the 205/40 would be a better option considering this. Hopefully there are others who can chime in with first hand experience with that setup and tire size.

Thabks for the response. Theres no way I’m doing 205/40 on the 8” wide wheel, it’s more stretch than I want. I’ll deal with 215/40 options and get a federal tire or s-drives. I’m hoping that the 205/45 going on an 8” wide will stretch a little bit but minimal to no rubbing and still some cushion.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Thabks for the response. Theres no way I’m doing 205/40 on the 8” wide wheel, it’s more stretch than I want. I’ll deal with 215/40 options and get a federal tire or s-drives. I’m hoping that the 205/45 going on an 8” wide will stretch a little bit but minimal to no rubbing and still some cushion.
I don't blame you actually. I'd probably do the same and try it out first...hopefully the stretch will lower the top enough that you won't rub. But since you asked I had to at least make you aware of it.