Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Business6

Until tomorrow I'm still on these. I've driven in 20º temperatures carefully (...at first) and they've done a shit ton better than I could have expected. I'm obviously not saying to do what I've done or that it'll work the same, I'm just saying that's my experience.

They remind me of the old Kumho SPT. At the time those were fantastic tires for the price and I'm very happy with these thus far. Come spring time the Indy's will go back on the stocks when the Blizzaks come off and get tossed to be a full set of spares. I'm definitely going with the Indy 500s in either 205/45 or 205/50/16, most likely the latter

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The 340 tread wear class of summer UHP tires do tend to fare better in sub freezing temps than the 200 tread wear gumballs do, which tend to turn into deeply frozen hockey pucks, let alone begin crystallizing, and cracking at those temps.

The 340 tread wear class of summer UHP tires do tend to fare better in sub freezing temps than the 200 tread wear gumballs do, which tend to turn into deeply frozen hockey pucks, let alone begin crystallizing, and cracking at those temps.
Until tomorrow I'm still on these. I've driven in 20º temperatures carefully (...at first) and they've done a shit ton better than I could have expected. I'm obviously not saying to do what I've done or that it'll work the same, I'm just saying that's my experience.

They remind me of the old Kumho SPT. At the time those were fantastic tires for the price and I'm very happy with these thus far. Come spring time the Indy's will go back on the stocks when the Blizzaks come off and get tossed to be a full set of spares. I'm definitely going with the Indy 500s in either 205/45 or 205/50/16, most likely the latter

I currently run Nitto Neogen as my spring/summer/fall tire, then switch to my winter set. I try to keep them on until December (regularly in the 30's). Pittsburgh traffic keeps me slow in the rain so that's not a problem. I'll need a new set in the spring - think I should try out these Indy's? Street and commuter use only. The Neogen have worked fine, and I don't need any more lateral grip, but some more straight-line grip would be nice. Thoughts on making the switch for my case? Size would be 205/45/16. Price is negligible between the two tires.

CSM

1000 Post Club
I was just thinking about this.

When I ran ZIIs i vaguely remember seeing a warning by dunlop that repeated exposure to these tires to freezing temps (32F or below) would result in permanent damage to the tire compound itself, so I always stored mine inside during winter months.

I am planning on running my Indy 500s year round, wondering if they might suffer similar fate if exposed to sub freezing temps for long periods.

I was just thinking about this.

When I ran ZIIs i vaguely remember seeing a warning by dunlop that repeated exposure to these tires to freezing temps (32F or below) would result in permanent damage to the tire compound itself, so I always stored mine inside during winter months.

I am planning on running my Indy 500s year round, wondering if they might suffer similar fate if exposed to sub freezing temps for long periods.
I am in Atlanta too and with the next few mornings dropping into the 20s, I wonder if I will be damaging my stock tires. The wear rating is well below 200.

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
I am in Atlanta too and with the next few mornings dropping into the 20s, I wonder if I will be damaging my stock tires. The wear rating is well below 200.
If it doesn't actually put cracks in the tire it definitely starts to ruin the tire compound. I don't mean to be rude to anybody but if you are in climates where it's going to get below freezing you have got to either have a separate set of tires or if you can't afford that then compromise with a all season tire. I don't drive mine when it's that cold out because I have a separate car if I didn't I'd have a separate set of tires and wheels.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

CSM

1000 Post Club
I'm going to send a quick e-mail to Tire Rack and hear what their thoughts are. I would really hate to have to throw on all seasons (UGH). Was hoping to get away with UHP summers all round if possible here in ATL.

CSM

1000 Post Club
Sent a note to Tire Rack and also to a friend who is a chemical engineer at Michelin for his input on how damaging cold temps are to summer tires. Will report back!

Business6

I currently run Nitto Neogen as my spring/summer/fall tire, then switch to my winter set. I try to keep them on until December (regularly in the 30's). Pittsburgh traffic keeps me slow in the rain so that's not a problem. I'll need a new set in the spring - think I should try out these Indy's? Street and commuter use only. The Neogen have worked fine, and I don't need any more lateral grip, but some more straight-line grip would be nice. Thoughts on making the switch for my case? Size would be 205/45/16. Price is negligible between the two tires.
I've never used Nitto before so I can't comment on that but if you're going to replace them why not try the Indy?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
The irony is that I was planning on replacing my factory size/issued Pilot Sport AS/3s with the Neo Gens when they wear out.
(As an 'intermediate' setup for any in-between dry winter use, since I have a dedicated winter/snow/rally working setup, which I do NOT want to 'burn up' in our mostly DRY, but still COLD winter use, and also a PURE summer, 200 tread wear (RS-RRs on 17x8 Pro Race 1.2s) setup for late spring to early fall.)

Since they are considered an all season tire, I figured that they could handle DRY winter use, and the winter ambient temps around here, without damage.
But being a 280 tread wear donut, maybe I should be wary about that, and call their US HQ to double check that possibility. [dunno]

The irony is that I was planning on replacing my factory size/issued Pilot Sport AS/3s with the Neo Gens when they wear out.
(As an 'intermediate' setup for any in-between dry winter use, since I have a dedicated winter/snow/rally working setup, which I do NOT want to 'burn up' in our mostly DRY, but still COLD winter use, and also a PURE summer, 200 tread wear (RS-RRs on 17x8 Pro Race 1.2s) setup for late spring to early fall.)

Since they are considered an all season tire, I figured that they could handle DRY winter use, and the winter ambient temps around here, without damage.
But being a 280 tread wear donut, maybe I should be wary about that, and call their US HQ to double check that possibility. [dunno]
Well you have the ideal setup with 3 sets... unfortunately not an option for me right now. I'd recommend the Neogen for your use case. I used them all winter last year actually because we never had enough snow in the forecast to make me switch. I'd be comfortable using them in <2-3" of snow when driven carefully on flat to moderate hills. They'll work just fine in the cold - I barely noticed any degradation in grip in the cold actually, and I used them down to probably zero degrees last year. I have to check how many miles I got out of them, but I think it's around 20k or so which isn't too bad. They're pretty low cost as well - I somehow got them for ~$60 each before, I see they're up to ~$80 now.

TDavis

1000 Post Club

So.......can I see a pic of your 17x8s on the 215 RSRRs yet?

TDavis

1000 Post Club
Ha! As if!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I've asked him numerous times if I can see because I want to see the RSRR specific profile on a 8" wide wheel for reference. I've even PM'd him and no response lol

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
He has been saying he will post pictures for years. It's about the same as him saying he would do this or do that but never does either. I'm starting to wonder if he even owns those tires.

SST

question about Stock, the Firehawk indy 500 is listed as discontinused in Canada, is this the case in US?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
He has been saying he will post pictures for years. It's about the same as him saying he would do this or do that but never does either. I'm starting to wonder if he even owns those tires.

WRONG!

I have been saying that I cannot post pics, for years.

No effing smart phone, and I am NOT going to go buy one just to satisfy you, or anyone else on here, or 'prove' anything to anyone on here, since I do not need one in order to survive, as so many others do. [wink]

People on here (JDG and others, at a local FiST meetup) DID see my car with these wheels and tires on it, and can attest to the FACT that they exist.

Here's a pic from that meet, posted up in the Mid-Atlantic forum right on this here site to shut you the eff up.

Right in the middle, with the telltale lower IC grille.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4277/35651751862_4488c44438_k.jpg

TDavis

1000 Post Club
WRONG!

I have been saying that I cannot post pics, for years.

No effing smart phone, and I am NOT going to go buy one just to satisfy you, or anyone else on here, or 'prove' anything to anyone on here, since I do not need one in order to survive, as so many others do. [wink]

People on here (JDG and others, at a local FiST meetup) DID see my car with these wheels and tires on it, and can attest to the FACT that they exist.

Here's a pic from that meet, posted up in the Mid-Atlantic forum right on this here site to shut you the eff up.

Right in the middle, with the telltale lower IC grille.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4277/35651751862_4488c44438_k.jpg
Seems like you overreacted a bit.

You don't have access to a computer that u can save the picture to then then upload for free?

Anyways, got any closer pics to show the fitment of the RSRRs?

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
Yeah that shut me up alright. What an excellent photo of the tires. LMFAO