Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Yeah I was blown away to hear that you didn't like them, these are nothing like the ovals.

I find these better than my sc2's in every condition, better in the rain , WAY better In the dry. These also ride much much better, seem to be wearing much bette too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I never heard anything outstanding about the Wide Ovals, so not too surprised there...really looking forward to getting these in the spring with some new wheels too. Stock tires are at about 60% life at 5k miles of not hard driving.

Waterfan

Get these: Firehawk Indy 500

DO NOT get these: Firehawk Wide Oval Indy 500

Editorial: Horrible naming choices, Firestone, A LOT of folks are probably going to end up with the wrong tires (I can't see your average tire shop having enough attention to detail to notice the subtle naming is ACTUALLY a different tire or care about getting it exactly right)

I could see if the wide ovals were still in production, but with them being discontinued I don't think it should be a problem going through Firestone. Sure, if you go through a place like TireRack you may choose the wrong ones, but when I bought my Indy 500's, all I said was I wanted the Firestone 500's and the Indy's were the only ones that showed up on the computer

Waterfan

I could see if the wide ovals were still in production, but with them being discontinued I don't think it should be a problem going through Firestone. Sure, if you go through a place like TireRack you may choose the wrong ones, but when I bought my Indy 500's, all I said was I wanted the Firestone 500's and the Indy's were the only ones that showed up on the computer
Hopefully I am worried for nothing...

Izzy

Currently torn on getting a set of these since I'm also considering the Federal 595 Evo as its rated AA vs the single A of the 500. Any thoughts from those who have had both would be greatly appreciated.

That's the other tire I'm thinking about...looks like it's very good and a lot of people on here have talked about them, but haven't actually seen anyone running them (in any size). I'm glad I've got about 6-8 months of time to shop for wheels/tires. Still unsure of my wheel, but looking at the Rota RB 16x7 et30 in hyper black, but they're about $200 more than the Maxxim Winner's (but I don't like that those only come in silver)

frankiefiesta

1000 Post Club
I know someone who works at a firestone. Said she could get me these tires for $400 mounted and balanced! Jumping on that in the spring

When it comes to tire reviews its very hard to get consistent, objective data. I rely on observing what the fastest and consistent autocross drivers are using. For the past 2 seasons, in the dry, it has been the RE-71... there's no argument there.
I did observe, a couple of months ago, a driver of no significance smash a national level trophy winner with Indy 500s in the rain. So, now when someone asks me if they should carry a set of DWs with them alongside their re71, I tell them to look at the Indy 500's for wet duty. (They're also not bad in the dry)

caliboy15

I was supposed to get this but I found a deal with sport comp 2 $420 installed otd so I went for it

Ordered the Perelli PZero Nero otd mounted with road hazard for $460. I wanted the Indy 500 but they were $130 more.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
The prices on these start out cheap but seem to have been steady rising fairly fast.

Sent using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I got these a couple weeks ago based on the TireRack comparison and some reviews for my oem wheels and stock springs and koni str.ts at 205/45 17 - no rubbing at all so far and I have lots of dips, potholes, and bumps in my routes. Although they did mention that performance was better than sc2s, they seemed to have downplayed it based on the lesser feedback given.

I haven't driven the sc2s yet (and unfortunately I probably won't based on what I've read and heard regarding the relatively high noise levels since that's really important to me for road trips), but performance wise these do not disappoint wet or dry. They are definitely grippier than stock tires and I actually have more wet experience than dry with these so far because it has been raining here almost every day since I bought them.

After the initial break-in I started pushing them a bit and not once did they slip. A few times in the wet I hit a some turns a bit faster than I really wanted and was pleasantly surprised at the grip. Made me want to push it further. These tires are really amazing. Better than they are rated I think. Not only that but they are smooth and quiet too. Exactly what I'm looking for in a tire if they get long tread life (time will tell).

They do have one caveat though which brings me back to the feedback thing TireRack was talking about. When you push them, there is virtually no feedback. It's hard to tell when or if they are at their limits. I still haven't pushed them to their limits yet but in a way I worry that they will just slip when least expected. Tire wall seems a little soft (not a lot) but you can feel it in turns and since it's the only thing you feel, it makes you wonder if it will slip...they just don't.

Overall it's not a big issue though and I still like them so much I would have skipped the Federal ss595s for my 15s (even though they are like 40% cheaper) and bought another set of these instead. Unfortunately they don't make them in 15 inch which I don't get because the wide ovals came in 15s and these are supposed to replace them but oh well. Federal it is...

caliboy15

I got these a couple weeks ago based on the TireRack comparison and some reviews for my oem wheels and stock springs and koni str.ts at 205/45 17 - no rubbing at all so far and I have lots of dips, potholes, and bumps in my routes. Although they did mention that performance was better than sc2s, they seemed to have downplayed it based on the lesser feedback given.

I haven't driven the sc2s yet (and unfortunately I probably won't based on what I've read and heard regarding the relatively high noise levels since that's really important to me for road trips), but performance wise these do not disappoint wet or dry. They are definitely grippier than stock tires and I actually have more wet experience than dry with these so far because it has been raining here almost every day since I bought them.

After the initial break-in I started pushing them a bit and not once did they slip. A few times in the wet I hit a some turns a bit faster than I really wanted and was pleasantly surprised at the grip. Made me want to push it further. These tires are really amazing. Better than they are rated I think. Not only that but they are smooth and quiet too. Exactly what I'm looking for in a tire if they get long tread life (time will tell).

They do have one caveat though which brings me back to the feedback thing TireRack was talking about. When you push them, there is virtually no feedback. It's hard to tell when or if they are at their limits. I still haven't pushed them to their limits yet but in a way I worry that they will just slip when least expected. Tire wall seems a little soft (not a lot) but you can feel it in turns and since it's the only thing you feel, it makes you wonder if it will slip...they just don't.

Overall it's not a big issue though and I still like them so much I would have skipped the Federal ss595s for my 15s (even though they are like 40% cheaper) and bought another set of these instead. Unfortunately they don't make them in 15 inch which I don't get because the wide ovals come in 15s and these are supposed to replace them but oh well. Federal it is...
I wonder why people say it's noisy. It is much quieter than the OEM Bridgestone

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
My sc2's weren't that loud But I have to agree with [MENTION=4988]neeqness[/MENTION] that these are damn good! No regrets, will just stick with these when it's time to replace them:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Yes, the oem Bridgestones were pretty loud. But these would be my new go to tires if only the sizes weren't so limited.