Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Been running them in 205/45 17 on stock rims for a couple weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them! Great in dry and wet. I don't track the car but they grip well for spirited street driving.

Been running them in 205/45 17 on stock rims for a couple weeks. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them! Great in dry and wet. I don't track the car but they grip well for spirited street driving.
I've been considering going up tot hat size, but am hesitant due to their larger diameter sucking away some power through gearing and throwing my speedo off. Really hoping when I go to the Firestone on base on Tuesday that the stock size is able to be ordered and I can get them thrown on. After this trip tomorrow, I will need new tires very soon.

I've been considering going up tot hat size, but am hesitant due to their larger diameter sucking away some power through gearing and throwing my speedo off. Really hoping when I go to the Firestone on base on Tuesday that the stock size is able to be ordered and I can get them thrown on. After this trip tomorrow, I will need new tires very soon.
https://tiresize.com/speedometer-calibration/

Appx 2mph difference from 205/40-17 at 65mph. And as the tread depth decreases, that difference closes to less than 1mph. Not enough to make a noticeable difference IMHO...

Doesn't seem to hurt power on the butt dyno. I couldn't decide between 215 or 205s.

Plus the extra side wall helps cushion the ride a bit.

jayrod1980

I just got mine a week ago. I'm riding on stock suspension and wheels and went for 205/45's. All I can say is wow... what a difference a good tire that's 13 years newer in design makes. I know these are the re-branded Bridgestone RE0S03's, but they just destroy the RE050's. That's a tire that Tire Rack was doing tests in the early 2000's by the way. 140 treadwear is awful, but I would have been able to eek out a few more months on mine if I didn't get a nail in my tire. The repair started to leak, so I knew it was time. I couldn't be happier with these amazing Indy 500s. I have about 300 miles on them and they are brilliant. I read through this thread and they are still better than I could imagine. On a stock height, stock suspension car, the tires fill the gap perfectly, and the design looks amazing, especially with some tire glaze!

After about a day I really notice how quiet these tires are. The taller profile absolutely sucks up all the old bounces and issues the stock tires had. Because of the reviews, I'm biased to think that it's not just the taller sidewall that makes these tires feel so much more plush. Plus, even with the taller sidewall, they ABSOLUTELY corner better. The car sticks, and you can really feel how much stiffer the two-ply sidewalls are on this car. After 26K miles on my 2016, I was starting to get a little tired of the ride quality, and the tires wearing really increased the amount of wheelspin with my lightly modified car. I can't even break the car loose on these new tires, literally everything is improved. I'm upset there's few high-performance 205 choices in 17 inch wheels, but if you stay on stock height suspension, this is a perfect tire. Can't recommend enough.

I lusted after some Pilot Super Sports in the same size, but $88 a tire or whatever vs. $155 a tire on Tire Rack.... this is a no brainer. The PSS is NOT almost double the quality tire.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Remember that your speedometer/ odometer accuracy will also change due to depth of tread. New tires will have 5/8 in more diameter than tires worn past the 2/32 tread indicators....

Yes, I know. The worn tires were new at one time also. I believe that the true comparison should be based on that instead. In any case though, the odometer reading won't change much between those sizes. I think a larger difference will be seen in the mpg reading since it's a bit more sensitive to small differences.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Yes, I know. The worn tires were new at one time also. I believe that the true comparison should be based on that instead. In any case though, the odometer reading won't change much between those sizes. I think a larger difference will be seen in the mpg reading since it's a bit more sensitive to small differences.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk
No worries. It seems that so many people get hung up on OEM sizes for Speedo accuracy, but forget about the fact that any tires you put on will change circumference (and speedo accuracy) as they wear. I use Waze for my driving, and it will tell you how accurate your speedo is at different speeds.

With the ST, I would not think you would feel any change by the slight tire size change (and by the reviews here, will feel vast improvement in ride and handling with good tires)...

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I could not give a CRAP about odo/speedo readings being effected, but rubbing/scraping/gouging brand new tires because they are too tall is something I cannot/will not tolerate. [nono]

Granted, the sizes I would want to use (215/45-17/225/45-17) are MUCH taller, and therefore MUCH MORE rub-prone (even at factory ride height/on factory suspension) than the 205/45-17s being discussed above. ;)

^^^I could not give a CRAP about odo/speedo readings being effected, but rubbing/scraping/gouging brand new tires because they are too tall is something I cannot/will not tolerate. [nono]

Granted, the sizes I would want to use (215/45-17/225/45-17) are MUCH taller, and therefore MUCH MORE rub-prone (even at factory ride height/on factory suspension) than the 205/45-17s being discussed above. ;)
Saw a friend that has a 2016 ST at Dixie Nat Tour on 215/45-17 RE71R on stock Rado wheels and he said they work well. Offset of wheels when you start expanding height and/or width of tires can make or break you with rubbing issues. I try to use a corticosteroid cream when I have rubbing issues[^]

Just did my first time attack event on these this weekend. My impressions...pretty dang good grip but not a ton of feedback. The other Fiesta ST was on 15" RE71's and was about a half second a lap faster than me. Though I believe I am tuned and he isnt and I have ST XTA coilovers and I think he was on stock suspension. I am running 17x8 tarmacs with a 205/45/17. So great all around summer tire, but definitely not RE71 fast.

Last edited:

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yes, it IS a bit much to ask these tires (great as they are) to give RE71R grip levels, combined with possibly 3x-4x the wear mileage, and half the co$t.

That just could not (co-)exist, either physics wise, nor market wise. ;)

Just put my new Firehawk Indy 500's on last night. (205/45-17 on stock suspension) For the last 10 years or so every tire I put on a car has had directional tread. So I look over these very closely. No arrows, no direction instructions. Then I see that all four tires are identical. Maybe I've got four lefts or four rights[duh]. OK I accept that these aren't "directional". These may ride a bit rougher than I'd like. But they're on and they will stay on (until winter comes around again). I guess I got soft after five months on my 60 series snow tires.

Ford Community Posts