Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Firestone Firehawk Indy 500

Hey all. Any idea what the "XL" means on these tires? I am looking at Firestone's website and the 205/40 and 205/45 R17 both say "XL", where many of the other sizes don't.

jayrod1980

Hey all. Any idea what the "XL" means on these tires? I am looking at Firestone's website and the 205/40 and 205/45 R17 both say "XL", where many of the other sizes don't.
I believe it means Extra Load... as in heavy. You always want to check the load ratings of tires to make sure you aren't installing tires that aren't rated for the weight of your vehicle.

Hi Guys,

I just got the Firehawk Indy 500's in 205/40/17 (OEM Size) put on the stock rims over the weekend. I am thinking that I am one of the first Fiesta ST guys in the country to have these put on.

I know there has been a lot of grumbling (myself included) about a lack of good options for our stock size. After BFG discontinued the Sport Comp 2 in our size, we were left with precious few options for a summer tire. I was jumping for joy when these became available because it meant I didn't have to get the Yokohama S-Drives.

This is my third set of tires on the Fiesta ST. The OEM Bridgestones lasted until about 18K. I then went to the Sport Comp 2's which lasted until about 38K, so I am getting pretty average wear for the ST. I will try to compare them to both, though I haven't had the Bridgestones for a year and a half and the BFG's were worn down to almost nothing:

First is about setting expectations: this is a $90 tire. For the most part, I have the mantra that you get what you pay for, with few exceptions. I think the Indy 500 is an exception to that rule. Is it going to challenge the Star Specs or the RE-71R on the track or Auto-X? Most certainly not. Is it really even a challenge for the MPSS or PS4S? No, and it shouldn't be. However, I am looking at it as a comparison to what I have used and what's available in the Ultra-High and Max Summer category in our stock size.

In comparison to the Sport-Comp 2's, the Firehawks fare quite well. They simply have more grip in the dry. I can do full throttle starts and there is no slip, no ESC intervention, nothing. It hooks and goes, through first and second. Granted, I am on a stock car with the exception of the Cobb RMM and Quick Shift Kit. The Sport Comp 2's would lose traction a bit more easily and you had to fight the wheel a bit more, even in the dry. There is NO QUESTION the Indy 500's would outcorner the Sport Comp 2's. Even brand-new before they are fully broken in, they have more grip.

I haven't had a chance to test the wet grip yet (shocking in Portland). From everything I have read they are phenomenal in the wet. I will post my thoughts when we get rainfall next. I never had a big problem with either the BFG or the RE050A's in the rain, as long as you are responsible and reasonable.

Where the Indy 500's don't quite stack up to Sport Comp 2's is in initial turn-in and mid-corner feedback. On the first point, I must clarify that the Indy 500's are brand new and still haven't been broken in and the Sport Comp 2's were worn. I do believe that the response will improve significantly as the tread blocks get a bit of wear, as they are full-depth right now which causes some tread roll which I am almost certain is what I am feeling. I haven't run these tires within an inch of their limits yet but when I do I will post my thoughts on their limits.

The comment about mid-corner feedback echoes what Tire Rack said in their review against the Sport Comp 2's. They simply don't transmit as much feedback about the limits as the SC2's do, though the difference isn't that noticeable and if Tire Rack hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed. It doesn't detract from the experience and for street driving it shouldn't make any difference, and these aren't track tires. I am sure I will get used to it as the SC2's fade to a distant memory. The Indy 500's have more ability than the SC2's, though they don't always tell you they do through the steering wheel in the corners. They WILL pull you around. Moreover, I am sure the feel will improve as the tread gets a bit of wear.

I am hesitant to compare the Indy 500's to the RE050A's as they are a different class of tire (Ultra-High vs. Max), but a lot of people are going to be coming from the RE050A's so I feel it prudent to do a limited comparison.

If you are deciding between going with the RE050A's again or getting the Indy 500's: SAVE YOUR MONEY. Tire Rack has the RE050A's for $175 per tire. That is a rip-off. The Indy 500's are available for $90 per tire. They are not twice the tire that the Indy 500 is. Not even close. The Bridgestone is an OLD tire and it is very clear that development and technology has come A LONG way since 2004.

The Bridgestone does have slightly better turn-in and I am guessing that the ultimate grip may be a little bit higher, but it would be negligible and most of us aren't going to be able to take advantage of that on the street. The Indy 500 is quieter, has a better ride, and I think will be better in the wet.

The Indy 500's are currently the best option for anyone looking for a Ultra-High Performance or MAX summer tire in the stock size. All of the other options are either very old, very expensive, or do not perform very well. This is not a track tire and is obviously not a snow tire, though I have run summer tires and had no issues in rain or near freezing temps as I run them all year round: just be responsible.

I will post more as they break in and I get to drive them in different conditions.

Thanks!

Sean

Last edited:

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Thanks, this is a very helpful review. It's also encouraging for those of us who committed to staying with oem sizes by investing in aftermarket 17" wheels.

Hi Guys,

I just got the Firehawk Indy 500's in 205/40/17 (OEM Size) put on the stock rims over the weekend. I am thinking that I am one of the first Fiesta ST guys in the country to have these put on.

I know there has been a lot of grumbling (myself included) about a lack of good options for our stock size. After BFG discontinued the Sport Comp 2 in our size, we were left with precious few options for a summer tire. I was jumping for joy when these became available because it meant I didn't have to get the Yokohama S-Drives.

This is my third set of tires on the Fiesta ST. The OEM Bridgestones lasted until about 18K. I then went to the Sport Comp 2's which lasted until about 38K, so I am getting pretty average wear for the ST. I will try to compare them to both, though I haven't had the Bridgestones for a year and a half and the BFG's were worn down to almost nothing:

First is about setting expectations: this is a $90 tire. For the most part, I have the mantra that you get what you pay for, with few exceptions. I think the Indy 500 is an exception to that rule. Is it going to challenge the Star Specs or the RE-71R on the track or Auto-X? Most certainly not. Is it really even a challenge for the MPSS or PS4S? No, and it shouldn't be. However, I am looking at it as a comparison to what I have used and what's available in the Ultra-High and Max Summer category in our stock size.

In comparison to the Sport-Comp 2's, the Firehawks fare quite well. They simply have more grip in the dry. I can do full throttle starts and there is no slip, no ESC intervention, nothing. It hooks and goes, through first and second. Granted, I am on a stock car with the exception of the Cobb RMM and Quick Shift Kit. The Sport Comp 2's would lose traction a bit more easily and you had to fight the wheel a bit more, even in the dry. There is NO QUESTION the Indy 500's would outcorner the Sport Comp 2's. Even brand-new before they are fully broken in, they have more grip.

I haven't had a chance to test the wet grip yet (shocking in Portland). From everything I have read they are phenomenal in the wet. I will post my thoughts when we get rainfall next. I never had a big problem with either the BFG or the RE050A's in the rain, as long as you are responsible and reasonable.

Where the Indy 500's don't quite stack up to Sport Comp 2's is in initial turn-in and mid-corner feedback. On the first point, I must clarify that the Indy 500's are brand new and still haven't been broken in and the Sport Comp 2's were worn. I do believe that the response will improve significantly as the tread blocks get a bit of wear, as they are full-depth right now which causes some tread roll which I am almost certain is what I am feeling. I haven't run these tires within an inch of their limits yet but when I do I will post my thoughts on their limits.

The comment about mid-corner feedback echoes what Tire Rack said in their review against the Sport Comp 2's. They simply don't transmit as much feedback about the limits as the SC2's do, though the difference isn't that noticeable and if Tire Rack hadn't mentioned it I probably wouldn't have noticed. It doesn't detract from the experience and for street driving it shouldn't make any difference, and these aren't track tires. I am sure I will get used to it as the SC2's fade to a distant memory. The Indy 500's have more ability than the SC2's, though they don't always tell you they do through the steering wheel in the corners. They WILL pull you around. Moreover, I am sure the feel will improve as the tread gets a bit of wear.

I am hesitant to compare the Indy 500's to the RE050A's as they are a different class of tire (Ultra-High vs. Max), but a lot of people are going to be coming from the RE050A's so I feel it prudent to do a limited comparison.

If you are deciding between going with the RE050A's again or getting the Indy 500's: SAVE YOUR MONEY. Tire Rack has the RE050A's for $175 per tire. That is a rip-off. The Indy 500's are available for $90 per tire. They are not twice the tire that the Indy 500 is. Not even close. The Bridgestone is an OLD tire and it is very clear that development and technology has come A LONG way since 2004.

The Bridgestone does have slightly better turn-in and I am guessing that the ultimate grip may be a little bit higher, but it would be negligible and most of us aren't going to be able to take advantage of that on the street. The Indy 500 is quieter, has a better ride, and I think will be better in the wet.

The Indy 500's are currently the best option for anyone looking for a Ultra-High Performance or MAX summer tire in the stock size. All of the other options are either very old, very expensive, or do not perform very well. This is not a track tire and is obviously not a snow tire, though I have run summer tires and had no issues in rain or near freezing temps as I run them all year round: just be responsible.

I will post more as they break in and I get to drive them in different conditions.

Thanks!

Sean
Thanks for this. Really been eyeballing these as my RE050As are at ~16k and close to needing replacement. I'm up in Seattle so I'll be facing similar conditions to yours. Subscribing to follow your updates. These are an Ultra and with the glowing reviews from TR and many people on here I'm surprised you find them comparable to or inferior to the Bridgestones in the grip category. I expected they'd have the edge in all manners with the exception of indication at the limits.

Thanks for this. Really been eyeballing these as my RE050As are at ~16k and close to needing replacement. I'm up in Seattle so I'll be facing similar conditions to yours. Subscribing to follow your updates. These are an Ultra and with the glowing reviews from TR and many people on here I'm surprised you find them comparable to or inferior to the Bridgestones in the grip category. I expected they'd have the edge in all manners with the exception of indication at the limits.
Stormy,

Let me give a bit more context. I haven't had the Bridgestone's for a while but the Indy's are VERY close to the level of the RE050A's, if not surpassing them. You will be able to get a much better comparison coming straight from the Bridgestone's than I will. I am trying to give the Bridgestone's the benefit of the doubt, because they are a class above and twice the price, though now that I think about it more, I am not sure that the RE050A's can outperform the Indy's.

I would not even hesitate or look at any other tire. Now that the Sport Comp2 is discontinued, there really aren't any good choices left in the size except for the Indy 500's. And at the price, they are a no-brainer.

Here is the thing: DO NOT WAIT. If you look at the Indy 500's in various sizes on TR, you will see that the availability is very limited. I was looking to go to a 205/45/16 and get the Indy's, and they are on a 3-4 MONTH back order. They can be very hard to find and Firestone does not seem to produce very many, much less in our stock size. I would order sooner rather than later and have them ready to be installed when need be.

I cannot recommend Discount Tire enough. They are phenomenal. I am very picky about my wheels and tires and the shop here in Tigard exceeded my expectations and treated me and my car with the utmost respect. They have a store and regional office up in your neck of the woods in Lynwood.

I'll keep you posted!

neeqness

1000 Post Club
[MENTION=8062]S_Manley[/MENTION] Thanks for the review. Please let us know your feedback in the wet. I experienced great traction but the climate here is not quite as wet as yours and I'm fairly curious how well they handle in more extreme wet environments...

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Stormy,

Let me give a bit more context. I haven't had the Bridgestone's for a while but the Indy's are VERY close to the level of the RE050A's, if not surpassing them. You will be able to get a much better comparison coming straight from the Bridgestone's than I will. I am trying to give the Bridgestone's the benefit of the doubt, because they are a class above and twice the price, though now that I think about it more, I am not sure that the RE050A's can outperform the Indy's.

I would not even hesitate or look at any other tire. Now that the Sport Comp2 is discontinued, there really aren't any good choices left in the size except for the Indy 500's. And at the price, they are a no-brainer.

Here is the thing: DO NOT WAIT. If you look at the Indy 500's in various sizes on TR, you will see that the availability is very limited. I was looking to go to a 205/45/16 and get the Indy's, and they are on a 3-4 MONTH back order. They can be very hard to find and Firestone does not seem to produce very many, much less in our stock size. I would order sooner rather than later and have them ready to be installed when need be.

I cannot recommend Discount Tire enough. They are phenomenal. I am very picky about my wheels and tires and the shop here in Tigard exceeded my expectations and treated me and my car with the utmost respect. They have a store and regional office up in your neck of the woods in Lynwood.

I'll keep you posted!
Thanks, man. The RE050As are astonishingly overpriced. They have poor reviews in the FiST community as well as on tire rack's site, and the criticisms mirror my own. The Indys are a category above the Bridgestones (ultra high vs max) and have far better ratings, so even at nearly half the price I would expect them to shine in comparison. There are other options out there like the Pilot Super Sports and the Potenza PP S04 for around 150 and 120 respectively. When the time comes I may very well throw the extra cash at the Michelin depending on the availability of the Indys and how fat my pockets are.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Pretty much ALL of the actual OEM factory fitted sizes of a given tire model are overpriced on TR (and elsewhere), no matter how 'long in the tooth', out of date, or old tech they may be (or even past their "useful" date, why you see the 2013 and older leftovers being sold at a discount on TR).

They were getting (or at least asking) STUPID prices for the ancient (and not so phenomenal even when they were NEW) RE92s not long ago simply because they were the factory tire on many preludes and Integras.

jayrod1980

These are absolutely better than the stock RE050s. I don't slip in areas I used to stock, they handle mild temps better than stock, and wet performance and treadwear are all better. The only thing worse is slightly worse MPG, which is probably why those Bridgestones are OEM for sporty cars... decent grip but okay fuel economy.

Has anyone noticed a slight wub-wub-wub at highway speeds (~90km/h+) or is it just me? There isn't any regular vibration, so I think the balance is OK...

Figured I'd throw something up before I unsubbed from this thread. After debating on these for a while I said F it and pulled the trigger on a set of Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+ in 205/45 r17 V during a sale. So far they have been fantastic. In mid 40's and rain showers they bite better than my 050s did on a hot summer day. I'm stage 1 tuned and I can hammer down in first and second in the wet with barely a flicker of ESP on the dash. Quiet, too. Probably 25-50% more expensive than the Firehawks though, depending on the size and speed rating you decide on. If you want to spend a little extra money on some killer all-seasons though I'd highly recommend these.

DaveG99

Just got them installed. They will be put to the test november 4th when i drive 600 miles through the mountains in arkansas on the north texas ST cruise.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^That's the summer tire which should have come on these cars instead of the Potenzas. [wink] [thumb]
(Yes, I know they were just released recently in our factory size, but If Ford had requested them from Fire/B-stone for factory installation, they would have built our size sooner. ;) )

neeqness

1000 Post Club
^^^That's the summer tire which should have come on these cars instead of the Potenzas. [wink] [thumb]
(Yes, I know they were just released recently in our factory size, but If Ford had requested them from Fire/B-stone for factory installation, they would have built our size sooner. ;) )
Agreed.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

Has anyone noticed a slight wub-wub-wub at highway speeds (~90km/h+) or is it just me? There isn't any regular vibration, so I think the balance is OK...
I had a similar experience for the first 200 miles or so. Now granted I had them mounted on a new to me set of 16x7 lightweight wheels, hunter force balanced, and wasn't sure if it was from the tires or the wheels. No vibrations just the wub wub hum like you described. Whatever it was it went away relatively quickly.

I don't know much about a tires construction, but could it be that that the inner belts/cord needs time to settle in and or break in?