Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

POLL: What Tune are you using on your Fiesta ST?

What Tune are you using on your Fiesta ST?

• COBB Tuning

Votes: 138 23.8%
  • Mountune

Votes: 85 14.7%
  • Tune+

Votes: 58 10.0%
  • Stratified Automotive Controls

Votes: 132 22.8%
  • DeadHook Motorsports

Votes: 23 4.0%
  • Livernois Motorsports

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Oz Tuning

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • PERON

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • "Self-Tuned" w/ COBB ATR

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • Modern Automotive Performance

Votes: 2 0.3%
  • PD Tuning

Votes: 5 0.9%
  • Dizzy Tuning

Votes: 115 19.9%

• Total voters
Why isn't the tuner who actually got over 300 wheel hp out of an Ecoboost first (late 2013) not even on your list? Shame. Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning is the original Ecoboost tuner, and his E30 tune I run is off the hook, I'd put it up against any of the johnny come lately names on your poll list anyday, twice on Sunday. LOL By the way, you buy the SCT X3 or 4 (I use a 4) and he gives you 2 tunes for free, my E30 tune was free....why spend $600 or $700 on a device and a tune, I have almost 1/2 that in mine, and all my data logging and tune revisions were free too, with no time limit on doing them either. Torrie is the best, I won't let anyone else tune my cars.

Why isn't the tuner who actually got over 300 wheel hp out of an Ecoboost first (late 2013) not even on your list? Shame. Torrie @ Unleashed Tuning is the original Ecoboost tuner, and his E30 tune I run is off the hook, I'd put it up against any of the johnny come lately names on your poll list anyday, twice on Sunday. LOL By the way, you buy the SCT X3 or 4 (I use a 4) and he gives you 2 tunes for free, my E30 tune was free....why spend $600 or $700 on a device and a tune, I have almost 1/2 that in mine, and all my data logging and tune revisions were free too, with no time limit on doing them either. Torrie is the best, I won't let anyone else tune my cars.
I'm may have him tune my wife's 2.7TT Edge

Odered the AP from Stratified along with a 91 tune on a Sunday. Got the AP on Wednesday. Sent the form in on Friday and got the tune the next day. Way, way impressed! Went from a week with Cobb's Stage 2 91 to Strat's and WOW!! 26psi with crazy tire spin in 1st and 2nd followed by a neat lil chirp into 3rd:LOL:. Running a Whoosh V2 fmic, Turbosmart plumb back, ST200 airbox with K&N, Whoosh hotside J pipe, symposer delete and muffler/rez delete. TTR engine & trans mounts along with the AWR 88 rmm make it possible to really land gears with telepathy:) Cobb is nice, but Strat is a totally diff animal. Gotta get busy on revisions now(y)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Odered the AP from Stratified along with a 91 tune on a Sunday. Got the AP on Wednesday. Sent the form in on Friday and got the tune the next day. Way, way impressed! Went from a week with Cobb's Stage 2 91 to Strat's and WOW!! 26psi with crazy tire spin in 1st and 2nd followed by a neat lil chirp into 3rd:LOL:. Running a Whoosh V2 fmic, Turbosmart plumb back, ST200 airbox with K&N, Whoosh hotside J pipe, symposer delete and muffler/rez delete. TTR engine & trans mounts along with the AWR 88 rmm make it possible to really land gears with telepathy:) Cobb is nice, but Strat is a totally diff animal. Gotta get busy on revisions now(y)
But pushing that high of peak boost on pump fuel just leads to sputtering out early up top. Also peak boost doesn't mean much, I actually make more power and smoother with my Dizzy tune at 24.75 PSI. Alex may be super knowledgeable, but he caters to people who like racey twitchy throttles that make people think their car is faster than it is and like to see big boost numbers. But hey, there's a market for that so why not for him, right? When I was a noob and got my AP I also went with Stratified first because I didn't know any better but thankfully I do now! :)

danbfree

3000 Post Club
So not trying to shamelessly plug anyone but Tim @pwnall1337 of Pwnall Performance is now in the tuning game. After working with the platform for 6 years on his own, he now offers fully custom tunes for stock turbo cars for under $200 and on top of 91 and 93 pump tunes offers both e30 and e50 tunes as well... The first question is "Why bother with e50 if e30 maxes out the stock turbo? Well, first of all is easy math, simply mix half pump and half e85, second of all, e85 is usually much cheaper than pump in most places, so why not save a couple of bucks every fillup and make massive power with no knock and negative corrections? And for me at least, although Tim doesn't recommend this, you gotta realize Premium fuel is mainly octane boosters and additional detergents over 87, right? So I am seeing amazing results using half e85 and half 87 for a final octane of 96, which is far more than a stock turbo can use on top of the ethanol cooling charge. Also, ethanol is a cleaner in and of itself so there is no reason to use premium as the mixer, in my view. But the big caveat here is that I have only one e85 station around and it's high quality stuff that is 88% year round, if you know your local e85 varies a lot to as low as 51% in the winter, you're definitely going to want to just use premium as your mixer for peace of mind outside the summer months. Keep in mind half e10 and half full percentage e85 comes out to "E47.5", so while the name is rounded up, you are in that under e50 safe percentage as well.

So I have been evaluating his e50 tune and I'm impressed! He keeps the OEM smoothness under light throttle, unlike flash tunes that have been mentioned recently, even with their less aggressive throttle option, and easily makes just as much power as my e30 tune using a little less boost than some may expect. By doing this, the damn thing pulls all the way to 6500RPM with VERY little drop off from its power peak, but also, this is easily the fastest spooling tune I've used! So while you have that smoothness for driveability around town under light throttle, hang the Eff on when you hit about 20% throttle, it just takes off like hell! I'm not even on my final revision and I'm really, really enjoying this tune! I thought I was totally happy with my previous tune, which is indeed the best flash tune around but with custom tuning you can have him dial in the power exactly how you like, but overall the insane quick spool time and how it just PULLS up top is amazing!

So not trying to shamelessly plug anyone but Tim @pwnall1337 of Pwnall Performance is now in the tuning game. After working with the platform for 6 years on his own, he now offers fully custom tunes for stock turbo cars for under $200 and on top of 91 and 93 pump tunes offers both e30 and e50 tunes as well... The first question is "Why bother with e50 if e30 maxes out the stock turbo? Well, first of all is easy math, simply mix half pump and half e85, second of all, e85 is usually much cheaper than pump in most places, so why not save a couple of bucks every fillup and make massive power with no knock and negative corrections? And for me at least, although Tim doesn't recommend this, you gotta realize Premium fuel is mainly octane boosters and additional detergents over 87, right? So I am seeing amazing results using half e85 and half 87 for a final octane of 96, which is far more than a stock turbo can use on top of the ethanol cooling charge. Also, ethanol is a cleaner in and of itself so there is no reason to use premium as the mixer, in my view. But the big caveat here is that I have only one e85 station around and it's high quality stuff that is 88% year round, if you know your local e85 varies a lot to as low as 51% in the winter, you're definitely going to want to just use premium as your mixer for peace of mind outside the summer months. Keep in mind half e10 and half full percentage e85 comes out to "E47.5", so while the name is rounded up, you are in that under e50 safe percentage as well.

So I have been evaluating his e50 tune and I'm impressed! He keeps the OEM smoothness under light throttle, unlike flash tunes that have been mentioned recently, even with their less aggressive throttle option, and easily makes just as much power as my e30 tune using a little less boost than some may expect. By doing this, the damn thing pulls all the way to 6500RPM with VERY little drop off from its power peak, but also, this is easily the fastest spooling tune I've used! So while you have that smoothness for driveability around town under light throttle, hang the Eff on when you hit about 20% throttle, it just takes off like hell! I'm not even on my final revision and I'm really, really enjoying this tune! I thought I was totally happy with my previous tune, which is indeed the best flash tune around but with custom tuning you can have him dial in the power exactly how you like, but overall the insane quick spool time and how it just PULLS up top is amazing!
I don’t know how to articulate an intelligent post right now (no coffee) so I’ll just ask, how do you like the tune vs the dizzy that you had in April? You wrote a pretty compelling arguement for him.

Thanks

danbfree

3000 Post Club
I don’t know how to articulate an intelligent post right now (no coffee) so I’ll just ask, how do you like the tune vs the dizzy that you had in April? You wrote a pretty compelling arguement for him.

Thanks
No, fair question and without a doubt Dizzy is an AMAZING flash tune and AMAZING value, but I can see now just how custom tunes done by those who know what they are doing has value in the level of precise refinement that you want... Stratified is good for those who like racey sound and throttle feel and like to see big boost numbers, Dizzy for smoothness and even more power than Stratified, and Tim does an amazing job balancing everything to just how you like it... While Stratified uses 26.5 psi on a pump tune and totally sputters out up top, like many people just assume is just how our small turbo is, Dizzy's makes that much boost on e30 and pulls better to 6000 RPM and Tim's, as of now, makes "only" 25 on e50 and it pulls smooth all the way to 6500 easily while matching the Dizzy e30 power levels with still maybe a revision or 2 to go. Hope this explains better!

No, fair question and without a doubt Dizzy is an AMAZING flash tune and AMAZING value, but I can see now just how custom tunes done by those who know what they are doing has value in the level of precise refinement that you want... Stratified is good for those who like racey sound and throttle feel and like to see big boost numbers, Dizzy for smoothness and even more power than Stratified, and Tim does an amazing job balancing everything to just how you like it... While Stratified uses 26.5 psi on a pump tune and totally sputters out up top, like many people just assume is just how our small turbo is, Dizzy's makes that much boost on e30 and pulls better to 6000 RPM and Tim's, as of now, makes "only" 25 on e50 and it pulls smooth all the way to 6500 easily while matching the Dizzy e30 power levels with still maybe a revision or 2 to go. Hope this explains better!
Yeah it does explain everything. I think you’re the candidate to put numbers to paper and compare the three pump gas and blend tunes.
What is the talk about the e30 maxing the fuel system or whatever? Is the e50 just as reasonable to use with proper programming? Good talk being had here, hope I’m the guy asking questions that other people scratch their heads about.
Thanks.
Cheers!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Yeah it does explain everything. I think you’re the candidate to put numbers to paper and compare the three pump gas and blend tunes.
What is the talk about the e30 maxing the fuel system or whatever? Is the e50 just as reasonable to use with proper programming? Good talk being had here, hope I’m the guy asking questions that other people scratch their heads about.
Thanks.
Cheers!
No man, you are asking the exact right questions! In my post above that you replied to I explain that part about e50: "The first question is "Why bother with e50 if e30 maxes out the stock turbo? Well, first of all is easy math, simply mix half pump and half e85, second of all, e85 is usually much cheaper than pump in most places, so why not save a couple of bucks every fillup and make massive power with no knock and negative corrections? And for me at least, although Tim doesn't recommend this, you gotta realize Premium fuel is mainly octane boosters and additional detergents over 87, right? So I am seeing amazing results using half e85 and half 87 for a final octane of 96, which is far more than a stock turbo can use on top of the ethanol cooling charge. Also, ethanol is a cleaner in and of itself so there is no reason to use premium as the mixer, in my view. But the big caveat here is that I have only one e85 station around and it's high quality stuff that is 88% year round, if you know your local e85 varies a lot to as low as 51% in the winter, you're definitely going to want to just use premium as your mixer for peace of mind outside the summer months. Keep in mind half e10 and half full percentage e85 comes out to "E47.5", so while the name is rounded up, you are in that under e50 safe percentage as well." So this last part kind of explains it, up to e50 is totally safe to use with stock fuelling. The main difference between his e30 and e50 tunes is the fuel maps are set up to expect this. So an e30 tune is likely best to use between e25-35 and an e50 is good to use e40-e50, there is flexibility within the programming of the powerful ECU to handle it. If it doesn't see what it wants it will instantly cut back timing and boost as needed so you don't blow your engine. I accidentally ran e10 93 on an e30 tune once for like 300 miles, I was just wondering why I was getting more negative correction and boost cut than I would on a 93 tune before I figured it out, it wasn't a big deal! :)

Last edited:
Hell yeah. Good info there. Going to have to take a look at pwnall for sure. Cobb AP goes on to day with the panel filter. Super pumped. BUT, I’m a huge proponent of custom tuning. It’s a no brainer for specific adjustments for your car. Thanks for the info!!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hell yeah. Good info there. Going to have to take a look at pwnall for sure. Cobb AP goes on to day with the panel filter. Super pumped. BUT, I’m a huge proponent of custom tuning. It’s a no brainer for specific adjustments for your car. Thanks for the info!!
Absolutely! And sure, with our little stock turbo limiting overall power quite a bit, it's easy get 90%+ "there" with a solid flash tune, but every tuner brings a slightly different personality to the car and its driveabilty, i'm impressed with Tim and how he maxes the top end pull, and provides amazing spool with the daily driveability too.

But pushing that high of peak boost on pump fuel just leads to sputtering out early up top. Also peak boost doesn't mean much, I actually make more power and smoother with my Dizzy tune at 24.75 PSI. Alex may be super knowledgeable, but he caters to people who like racey twitchy throttles that make people think their car is faster than it is and like to see big boost numbers. But hey, there's a market for that so why not for him, right? When I was a noob and got my AP I also went with Stratified first because I didn't know any better but thankfully I do now! :)
Good points Dan. I wouldn't really say I'm a racey twitchy throttle type, but I am one who loathed the factory mapping fluffy response. It was hard to know exactly what kind of pull I'd get from the pedal travel. Very inconsistent. Most of my driving is on the surface streets, so rarely do I get a chance to wring out 2nd, let alone 3rd gear, so I'm often short shifting. Strat's peak boost figure does leave me a bit concerned though, 26psi not flooring it. I'll likely give Dizzy a try just to see what it feels like. Thanks!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Good points Dan. I wouldn't really say I'm a racey twitchy throttle type, but I am one who loathed the factory mapping fluffy response. It was hard to know exactly what kind of pull I'd get from the pedal travel. Very inconsistent. Most of my driving is on the surface streets, so rarely do I get a chance to wring out 2nd, let alone 3rd gear, so I'm often short shifting. Strat's peak boost figure does leave me a bit concerned though, 26psi not flooring it. I'll likely give Dizzy a try just to see what it feels like. Thanks!
And thanks for not taking offense, sorry if I came off a little harsh! And yeah, every tuner brings a different personality to the, Dizzy is by far the smoothest and makes more power than Strat but actually *feels* slightly conservative in flash form on pump but e30 is a monster...Now, I'm digging how Tim's is nice and driveable at low throttle but then has like zero lag as you start to lay into it.. and yeah I even had Stratified lower the max boost a tiny bit as I was getting some strange carbon burning smells when my car only had a few K on the clock from new. Their tune also, appears to be just my case and to their credit they say they are working on it for me, but has horrible rev hang, it's really strange. In any case not a fan of how light throttle the car just wants to take off from you either, some may prefer that but I certainly don't but I will say that Stratified makes the best noises too without ordering their pops and crackles, I have done a simple muffler to glasspack swap and it gives me the bit of natural ones I like on any tune.

And thanks for not taking offense, sorry if I came off a little harsh! And yeah, every tuner brings a different personality to the, Dizzy is by far the smoothest and makes more power than Strat but actually *feels* slightly conservative in flash form on pump but e30 is a monster...Now, I'm digging how Tim's is nice and driveable at low throttle but then has like zero lag as you start to lay into it.. and yeah I even had Stratified lower the max boost a tiny bit as I was getting some strange carbon burning smells when my car only had a few K on the clock from new. Their tune also, appears to be just my case and to their credit they say they are working on it for me, but has horrible rev hang, it's really strange. In any case not a fan of how light throttle the car just wants to take off from you either, some may prefer that but I certainly don't but I will say that Stratified makes the best noises too without ordering their pops and crackles, I have done a simple muffler to glasspack swap and it gives me the bit of natural ones I like on any tune.
Oh no, no offense taken whatsoever(y). No issues with rev hang here. It's there, but so miniscule I barely notice. I'd love to try an E30 tune, but here in Phx I'm pretty much limited to 91, but there's a place nearby that has 95 and 100. How do you think Dizzy's 93 tune running 95 would be? Thanks for the insight!

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh no, no offense taken whatsoever(y). No issues with rev hang here. It's there, but so miniscule I barely notice. I'd love to try an E30 tune, but here in Phx I'm pretty much limited to 91, but there's a place nearby that has 95 and 100. How do you think Dizzy's 93 tune running 95 would be? Thanks for the insight!
You have a number of places that has e85, what's stopping you?
1559602254959.png
I have to drive a good 20 minutes out of the way each way to get my e85 and it's TOTALLY worth it! :)
Use the locator HERE to find the exact locations... Anyway, you'd have to pay up for a custom tune to get your money's worth on a 93 tune, the flash tune is slightly conservative and wouldn't take advantage of it. You COULD try to see if Jason (Dizzy) will set you up with a 95 tune by simply making a 93 tune you order more aggressive, but likely he would charge you for a custom tune, which could be worth it if you REALLY don't want to just add 3 gallons of e85 when filling up.

You have a number of places that has e85, what's stopping you?
View attachment 20799
I have to drive a good 20 minutes out of the way each way to get my e85 and it's TOTALLY worth it! :)
Use the locator HERE to find the exact locations... Anyway, you'd have to pay up for a custom tune to get your money's worth on a 93 tune, the flash tune is slightly conservative and wouldn't take advantage of it. You COULD try to see if Jason (Dizzy) will set you up with a 95 tune by simply making a 93 tune you order more aggressive, but likely he would charge you for a custom tune, which could be worth it if you REALLY don't want to just add 3 gallons of e85 when filling up.
Oh damn! I didn't realize there were that many E85 pumps around. I don't drive much, or very far. I'm aware Jason offers an E30 tune along with a 91 or 93 flash. I guess my real question is, from your experience, are his E30 tunes pretty safe from the get go without revisions?

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Oh damn! I didn't realize there were that many E85 pumps around. I don't drive much, or very far. I'm aware Jason offers an E30 tune along with a 91 or 93 flash. I guess my real question is, from your experience, are his E30 tunes pretty safe from the get go without revisions?
Oh, heck yeah, they are safe but still smooth and strong... he doesn't even offer "Stages" for e30 but you can always pay for a custom tune if you want to squeeze out more power but, yeah, absolutely safe and strong from the get go, you won't be disappointed!

Oh, heck yeah, they are safe but still smooth and strong... he doesn't even offer "Stages" for e30 but you can always pay for a custom tune if you want to squeeze out more power but, yeah, absolutely safe and strong from the get go, you won't be disappointed!
Hmmm, serious food for thought. Much appreciated Dan! I guess I'll go ahead order a 91 and E30 from Jason when I get back from my vacation at the end of the month. Most likely just run a 91 tune until I decide to make the FiST my daily. Currently I'm only running thru 1 tank a month and I'd rather not have E30 sitting in my tank for so long. With your account and all the other positive reviews of E30, I know it'll be well worth it:cool:

danbfree

3000 Post Club
Hmmm, serious food for thought. Much appreciated Dan! I guess I'll go ahead order a 91 and E30 from Jason when I get back from my vacation at the end of the month. Most likely just run a 91 tune until I decide to make the FiST my daily. Currently I'm only running thru 1 tank a month and I'd rather not have E30 sitting in my tank for so long. With your account and all the other positive reviews of E30, I know it'll be well worth it:cool:
Yep, good idea not to let ethanol sit too long but at the same time you'll WANT to find reasons to go out and drive more, completely transforms the car! :)