Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Vibration in 2nd and 3rd gear?

Has anyone ever noticed a very pronounced vibration on and partially off throttle resonating through the gear lever when in 2nd and primarily 3rd gear?

I noticed it while very lightly hovering my fingers on the gear knob. The feeling is almost non-existent in 1st, very very slightly in 2nd and very pronounced in 3rd at around 2,700 - 3000 rpm, non existent in 4th, 5th and 6th.

I can also notice some very slight movement in the knob while it is in 3rd, oddly enough no other gears do this. The car is a 2016 with less than 1000 miles on the clock.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Take your hand off the shifter. "problem" solved. :)

It's not good for the tranny to keep your hand on it anyway. It's a brand new car and seems to me ur just looking too hard for shit lol just drive it!

Watch the road and keep those hands off. All my cars have done some form of this. Drive and enjoy!

OP
D
Thread Starter #5
Take your hand off the shifter. "problem" solved. :)

It's not good for the tranny to keep your hand on it anyway. It's a brand new car and seems to me ur just looking too hard for shit lol just drive it!
I would normally agree, but with new axles for under 1000 miles I'm a little concerned. Do you notice the same thing in yours? Just find it odd that no other gears except for 3rd really do it, never noticed it on my 2014 FiST.

Watch the road and keep those hands off. All my cars have done some form of this. Drive and enjoy!
There's no weight from my hand on the shifter, I noticed the issue when engaging the shift and felt the vibration and the movement of the knob in my hand. I never noticed it in my 2014 which is what caught my attention.

Thanks for any and all feedback Guys!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
The mushy bushings in the shifter plate and the transmission adapter are likely the cause. When I had stock I fell vibrations which also the rmm needs to be updated. Once installed the solid bushing from Boomba vibration gone. After that a quick change in tranny fluid once the tranny is broken in 5000 miles or so and buttery heaven transmission.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
The mushy bushings in the shifter plate and the transmission adapter are likely the cause. When I had stock I fell vibrations which also the rmm needs to be updated. Once installed the solid bushing from Boomba vibration gone. After that a quick change in tranny fluid once the tranny is broken in 5000 miles or so and buttery heaven transmission.
Thank you for commenting [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]. Did you notice the vibrations in all of your gears or just 3rd as in my case? Did you ever take it in to a dealer for evaluation?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thank you for commenting [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION]. Did you notice the vibrations in all of your gears or just 3rd as in my case? Did you ever take it in to a dealer for evaluation?
Can't remember that far back. I have not brought it to the dealer. Like I said after many miles it smoothed out and fluid change it has smoothed out.

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
Can't remember that far back. I have not brought it to the dealer. Like I said after many miles it smoothed out and fluid change it has smoothed out.
Ah I see. The presence of the vibration and the noticeable movement mainly in 3rd is disconcerting, as I don't recall in my 2014 behaving the same. By the way your car looks amazing, loved reading your build.

Ah I see. The presence of the vibration and the noticeable movement mainly in 3rd is disconcerting, as I don't recall in my 2014 behaving the same. By the way your car looks amazing, loved reading your build.
Saw your post, checked my car personally. I usually am hands off so I wouldn't notice something like this.

Sure enough, I felt a vibration in those low gears around that rpm range. Pretty sure that is normal. I have a 2015 with jury-rigged intercooler, and tuned. All stock mounts, 15" rims/tires. 41,000 miles in and I love my car, minus the occasional overheating I have not found anything else wrong with it...it probably has the best shifting transmission I've ever driven.

Edit: Probably going to change the transmission oil sometime soon.