Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

H&R Sport lowering springs install

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
After sitting on them for nearly a month, I was finally able to install my H&R Sport lowering springs.

Here was a picture a day before the install, stock suspension on my 16" Sparco Terra wheels.

In the shop ready to be racked the next morning.

Install was super easy, rear springs.

Front springs.

And down on the ground. Wheel gap in the front.

Rear wheel gap.

Clearance underneath the car.

And done!

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
Thank you! I love it as well! I forgot to post side shots also. It is raked to the front, which I prefer.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Opinion on the springs:

I really like them so far. Honestly feels as stiff as stock, and as bouncy on certain roads, but there is almost no brake dip now, which I really like. And the rear end doesn't get as squirly when you are braking hard.

I wish it wasn't as low in the front, but it's not bad. The car rakes towards the front, which looks good with the style of the Fiesta body. I do rub the lower valance beneath the front bumper when entering my driveway if I don't hit it at the right angle, but I am also on 16 inch wheels, so I'm a little closer to the ground. However, it does pass the test on speed bumps as long as you are going 20 MPH or less.

My wheels are 16x7 with a +42 offset, no rubbing at full turn. Stock wheels are +47 offset so you should be fine if you are still using those.

Overall a good set of springs if you don't mind having to mind potential rubbing on the lower front bumper, but I've driven plenty of lowered cars and I'm used to it.

LILIKE16ST

His sig and this thread says it's the sport springs. I think they look awesome. I love the drop and the rake to the front look it has compared to the reverse from the factory. I have my eye on these springs myself I've always been an h&r fan. I would like to use these to go with the factory shocks and struts until they give out then go with some nice coilovers like meisterR and sell the springs to eat some of the cost. I just want a little improvement in handling and ride and in the looks department until that happens because it may be a little ways off before im in the market for coilovers. That sounds like a good plan to me and these springs seem really solid all the way around.

I like the looks of the SS as well but they're on the real low side and may even be too low for optimal handling and too aggressive for the factory dampers. I'm not a suspension expert but that is what I believe based on what I've read.

Does anyone else on here have any first hand knowledge of this or hard facts or testing to show the ss versions are too much for optimal handling and/or too much as far as spring rate for the factory dampers. Based on what I've read the factory dampers are over dampened and can easily handle a 1 or so inch drop but the h&r ss are closer to 1.5 inch or better even on the already lower from the factory ST. Any input on this is appreciated. Btw off the wall the car looks sweet on these h&r sports.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #8
His sig and this thread says it's the sport springs. I think they look awesome. I love the drop and the rake to the front look it has compared to the reverse from the factory. I have my eye on these springs myself I've always been an h&r fan. I would like to use these to go with the factory shocks and struts until they give out then go with some nice coilovers like meisterR and sell the springs to eat some of the cost. I just want a little improvement in handling and ride and in the looks department until that happens because it may be a little ways off before im in the market for coilovers. That sounds like a good plan to me and these springs seem really solid all the way around.

I like the looks of the SS as well but they're on the real low side and may even be too low for optimal handling and too aggressive for the factory dampers. I'm not a suspension expert but that is what I believe based on what I've read.

Does anyone else on here have any first hand knowledge of this or hard facts or testing to show the ss versions are too much for optimal handling and/or too much as far as spring rate for the factory dampers. Based on what I've read the factory dampers are over dampened and can easily handle a 1 or so inch drop but the h&r ss are closer to 1.5 inch or better even on the already lower from the factory ST. Any input on this is appreciated. Btw off the wall the car looks sweet on these h&r sports.
I'll be selling them soon if you're interested. I am getting too much rubbing in the front due to the lower offset of my wheels.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #12
The H&R Sport is 1.5" in the front. I wouldn't say it's slammed but with my wheel/tire setup there is a good amount of rubbing.

EDIT: I just realized that I'm an idiot. These are actually the Super Sport springs. When Google searching the blue coil color gave it away.

I am strongly considering getting the SUPER sports. So just for clarity- SPORTs are black and SUPERSPORTs are blue? Thanks!

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #14
I am strongly considering getting the SUPER sports. So just for clarity- SPORTs are black and SUPERSPORTs are blue? Thanks!
Yep that's correct.

BTW, I love your username. Reminds me of Macho Man from Spider-Man when he played Bonesaw.

"You're going NOWHEREEEEEEE! I got you for 3 minutes!"

LILIKE16ST

I'll be selling them soon if you're interested. I am getting too much rubbing in the front due to the lower offset of my wheels.
When you say lower you mean lower numerically correct? Like yours are 42 vs 47 of stock? I'm running +35 15x8s so I may get a bit of rubbing. Is it rubbing inside or outside the tire or do you know? If it's inside my lower offset may get me by but being an inch wider makes it around another 12 mm closer to the inside which make them sit inside around where the factory wheels did with the offset considered but on the outside it sticks towards the outside of the fender about an inch compared to factory wheels which may get me some rub on these maybe I should consider the sports if these are ss. I like the look of both but prefer the ss slightly but if it's gonna effect handling negatively or be too much for the stock dampers or rub or all of the above I'd rather go with the sports.

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #17
That's correct, lower refers to the +40 offset of my wheels but they are also 17x8. Stock is 17x7 +47.

LILIKE16ST

That's correct, lower refers to the +40 offset of my wheels but they are also 17x8. Stock is 17x7 +47.
My 15s are also 8 wide but 35 offset in sure they would have rubbing issues on the super sports as well I guess I will stick with my original plan of going with the sports I think it would tuck the car down nicely and take away most of the fender to tire gap there that i cannot stand. The next mods on my list are lowering springs for sure along with a RMM

Overall a good set of springs if you don't mind having to mind potential rubbing on the lower front bumper, but I've driven plenty of lowered cars and I'm used to it.
Wanna do me a huge favor??! Can you measure your ground clearance for the front bumper and then again for the valance underneath the motor?

I want to know for comparison because I had about 4 inches on my WRX and I don't know if I'd want to go lower than that.

Thanks!!

OP
OffTheWall503

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #20
The clearance I had was about the length of a lighter between the ground and the lower lip that's tucked under the bumper.