Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.0 for next ST?

I'm thinking that there will be:

• Base model (NA)
  • "sportier" model - A sort of middle of the range performance variant (1.0 ecoboost)
  • ST version (1.6 turbo?)

This is what Ford should have done from the start. ...instead of just using it (the 1.0) to advertise for gas mileage, offer only stripped down models, and then hide it in the back of the lot.

It would make everyone happy!

And as BRGT350 said, a 6-speed would make it even better.

...on a selfish side, I would finally get aftermarket support here in the states if they only used the 1.0 in the new ST! Hehe!

I had a DSG Focus rental last week and it was a horrible transmission. Jerky, noisy, hesitates, and just awful. Every Focus rental I have ever driven has been a horrible car thanks to the transmission.
I had a Focus rental a few months ago and the transmission was the worst I'd ever driven. When I took it back, I actually told them it was shot and they should have it looked at, but now I'm wondering if it was just really that awful to begin with. In any case, they need to keep it away from the ST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Just to confirm/clarify; we are speaking of the horrid DCT slushbox Ford uses in it's small cars above, and NOT an actual SMG-like box as used in Bimmers, etc., correct??

If my 1.0 had had a six speed, I probably wouldn't have ended up buying a FiST...

the current 1.0L has the vertical intercooler next to the radiator. Having driven the 1.0L with a manual transmission on a number of occasions, the engine is really impressive. Much like the normally aspirated 1.6L Fiesta with a manual, it is the gear ratios that suck the life out of the car. With a close ratio 6-speed, the 1.0L could be an absolute blast! The 1.0L also has a very impressive exhaust note for such a small engine. I do think this engine has some serious potential, after all, it is now the engine used in the rally Fiestas.

As far as a DSG transmission, I sure hope the ST doesn't come with one. Ford just announced the GT350 will come with one, so I would bet they will be showing up in the ST and RS shortly. I had a DSG Focus rental last week and it was a horrible transmission. Jerky, noisy, hesitates, and just awful. Every Focus rental I have ever driven has been a horrible car thanks to the transmission. I would take a traditional automatic over a dual clutch any day. A DSG is how to ruin a good car, but it is great for the kiddos who can't put their phone down long enough to change gears or for the internet racers who will tell you that their DSG is .0004 seconds faster on the 'Ring than my manual.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
The 1.0L Fiesta with a ST 6-speed manual would probably be one of the best compact cars in the market. The engine is very impressive, it is just mated to some crappy gearboxes. The US IB5 5-speed has some of the worst gear ratios I have ever driven. The EU version is far better. I remember turning in my EU Fiesta at the end of the Fiesta Movement and getting into my 2011 Fiesta and wondering what was wrong with it. The car felt unresponsive, down on power, and sluggish. It was all the transmission. The DCT 6-speed is a better boat anchor than a transmission. The ST 6-speed is pure joy. Put that with a 1.0L and you would have a great package.

I would be ok with it it was chevy spark size (I love small cars!) lol and a whole lot cheaper! Actually I'd be ok it being the current size and I'm sure it would it would drop weight with the engine swap. If it was maybe like titanium level price. People would go nuts over them! I was always a fan of the 1.0. Imagine if it had an eco mode where it dropped it to the current 1.0 power level. Then with the push of a button you were back to the current ST levels! Best of power and fuels economy. I imagine this would help reduce the wear and tear from pushing a 1.0 too hard all the time.

I'm not a huge speed freak but I enjoy a great driving car as much as the next guy.
Not too long now

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Ford plans to reveal the next gen FiST this Friday 24th ahead of it's world debut at next month's 2017 Geneva auto show 3/9...I would expect more details will be revealed at Geneva...

CSM

1000 Post Club
Exhaust note in the teaser clip seems to point to a three cylinder...I'm REALLY hoping its not the 1.0T tuned to 200hp. While I bet the combination of performance and fuel efficiency will be terrific, there will be not much room for any sort of tuning and I worry about reliability. Guess we will see tomorrow

Brura22

200 hp per liter? Lol that would put the current 1.6 at 320 crank hp [emoji23]
If only....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Next Gen Fiesta ST

200hp / 1.5 liter / 3 Cylinder / Turbo

KTEc6EW.jpg

http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/ford/fiesta/97192/all-new-2018-ford-fiesta-st-unveiled-with-197bhp

New Ford Fiesta ST hot hatch set to star at Geneva with new 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbo engine

Ford has revealed a new Fiesta ST hot hatch, based on the upcoming seventh generation version of the supermini. The new ST family member will be the firm?s headline act at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show.

The biggest news is the move to an-all new engine configuration. The 1.6-litre four-cylinder turbo used in the current car is out, replaced by a lightweight, aluminium 1.5-litre three-cylinder turbo.

The new motor produces 197bhp. That?s 17bhp up on the standard output of the current Fiesta ST, but equal to its ?overboost? figure. Torque swells from 240Nm to 290Nm, and Ford claims that the new Fiesta ST can crack 0-62mph in 6.7 seconds ? two tenths quicker than the current generation model and on par with the ST200. A top speed just above 140mph seems likely.

Naturally, the downsized motor will be cleaner and more efficient than the outgoing four-cylinder. Ford reckons CO2 emissions for the new model will tumble from 138g/km to 114g/km, and with cylinder de-activation technology on-board, fuel-economy should improve too.

Speaking to Auto Express last year, Ford?s head of small cars in Europe, Darren Palmer spoke up the prospects of a three-cylinder ST, calling the new engine ?promising?.

?It?s a great engine ? it sounds brilliant and there?s loads of torque when the turbo comes on boost?.

However, the improvement drive won?t just focus on what?s under the bonnet. According to Palmer, the European development team at the brand?s Lommel testing facility in Belgium has ?obsessed over the car?s steering. They?ve fine-tuned the calibration to make sure it drives exactly how a Fiesta should?. Palmer told us Ford knows it?s got one of the most popular superminis and wants to build on the nameplate?s popularity, so it?s ?going in hard with the new Fiesta?.

The seventh generation Fiesta is still based on Ford?s global B-car platform, but on top of the tweaks received by the standard car to improve grip, plus the new model?s wider track, the ST?s chassis has been further tuned by Ford Performance.

Like on the previous generation car, a torque-vectoring unit can step in to reduce understeer by braking the inside front wheel in corners, and the new Fiesta ST comes with three selectable driving modes ? Normal, Sport and Track ? altering traction control, throttle response, power steering and exhaust valve settings.

From launch the new Fiesta ST will be available in both three-door and five-door bodystyles. In terms of design, it cuts a close look to the standard new Fiesta in ST-line trim, but with a slightly more aggressive front bumper and grille, a painted rear diffuser, and exclusive 18-inch alloy wheels. A new paint colour option, Liquid Blue, also appears.

In the new cabin, Ford promises greater levels of personalisation than before. Interior styling packs will be available, offering alternative trim and finishes on items around the cockpit. In terms of technology, the new Sync 3 infotainment system appears alongside touchscreen displays up to 8-inches in size. In tune with the car?s hot hatch image, Recaro sports seats with chunky side bolsters appear up front, and a flat-bottomed sports steering wheel makes the cut.

Though the car will make its debut at the 2017 Geneva Motor Show, Ford won?t be launching the new Fiesta ST until early 2018. Order books should open at the end of the year though, and we expect a slight increase to around the ?19,000 mark when it goes on sale.

me32

1000 Post Club
An all new 1.5 3cylinder. That will be interesting. I wonder what the US verison will look like there always different in some way.