Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

1.0 for next ST?

Rhinopolis

Perhaps cannibalization between the higher priced models was more than they originally expected, and they are crippling the FiST intentionally?

^^^^ LOL well I chose a FiST over a RS sooooo :)

I'm not sure where they have got this info from? The biggest thing you need to look at is competition in this segment. With the FiST it is more of a matter with what is around across the pond. That 3 cylinder though gets amazing praise and is loved by many. It makes a good amount of power in the Formula Ford (road legal in the UK). I think a big clue is what the next Gen Fiesta platform is like, if it looses some weight this may be possible.

Rhinopolis

^^^^ LOL well I chose a FiST over a RS sooooo :)

I'm not sure where they have got this info from? The biggest thing you need to look at is competition in this segment. With the FiST it is more of a matter with what is around across the pond. That 3 cylinder though gets amazing praise and is loved by many. It makes a good amount of power in the Formula Ford (road legal in the UK). I think a big clue is what the next Gen Fiesta platform is like, if it looses some weight this may be possible.
Yep, you and I are both able to afford a more expensive product, but we (at least I did) chose based off the bang for the buck that the current FiST offers. I was willing to spend $35-40k on a weekend fun car at the time when I was cross shopping, and here I am with a heavily moddified 2015 and I only owe $5k at 0%......lol. What's better than a free short term loan and performance on par with much more expensive cars?

Yep, you and I are both able to afford a more expensive product, but we (at least I did) chose based off the bang for the buck that the current FiST offers. I was willing to spend $35-40k on a weekend fun car at the time when I was cross shopping, and here I am with a heavily moddified 2015 and I only owe $5k at 0%......lol. What's better than a free short term loan and performance on par with much more expensive cars?
Same, just couldn't pass up on the deal for what you get. Owed 4K on the FoST traded it for 16K with D plan and a 2750 rebate I ended up cutting my payment by $100 compared to the FoST with no money out of pocket. The smile per dollar factor can't be beat, not to mention already having a well sorted aftermarket that is continuing to grow. If I got the RS I would be hesitant to buy anything for a year not knowing what's coming out, but with the FiST, I was able to make a mod list with 1 sleepless weekend lol.

I drove an RS and didn't care for it. Not worth twice as much as a FiST.
My problem was my short commute. I have a 10 minute commute and work 11 hour days. It can be tough to find time to drive up your favorite road for a blast so something was needed to make my commute fun. The RS would not be that vehicle considering there is no place to use the power and only a few places to push grip limit. The FiST made perfect sense for my commute and the smaller size helps squeezing through traffic even easier.

BTW as I know getting the RS is hard enough and takes a good amount of effort to find one for MSRP. The fact my dealer ordered one Nov 17th and it showed up last week says something. 5K over MSRP is what they are asking and I have seen higher, so a little more then twice in my circumstances as I paid 21K fully loaded and the RS on the showroom floor is 47K.

I think a big clue is what the next Gen Fiesta platform is like, if it looses some weight this may be possible.
So the next gen FiST is rumored to get bigger, heavier, and have a smaller/more strung out engine?

The more that comes out about the next gen, the happier I am with my 2015 model, jeez.
I clicked through to the original article and a related one at Auto Express. They are reporting (who knows how reliable their sources are) that it will stay on the Global B platform, so the dimensions are unlikely to change dramatically. They are also predicting it will move a bit upmarket in terms of interior quality. The shift to the 3-cyl turbo could be a way to reduce weight and cost, while improving fuel economy, which is still a big deal in Europe. Whether they can reliably get current-gen FiST-like performance out of it, we will see. As some have mentioned, they run similar power in Formula Ford, but your average daily driver is not maintained like a race car engine, and it's expected to last much longer. I don't see how they can expect similar reliability/longevity to the 1.6 from a 1.0 boosted to make 200ish bhp.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I clicked through to the original article and a related one at Auto Express. They are reporting (who knows how reliable their sources are) that it will stay on the Global B platform, so the dimensions are unlikely to change dramatically. They are also predicting it will move a bit upmarket in terms of interior quality. The shift to the 3-cyl turbo could be a way to reduce weight and cost, while improving fuel economy, which is still a big deal in Europe. Whether they can reliably get current-gen FiST-like performance out of it, we will see. As some have mentioned, they run similar power in Formula Ford, but your average daily driver is not maintained like a race car engine, and it's expected to last much longer. I don't see how they can expect similar reliability/longevity to the 1.6 from a 1.0 boosted to make 200ish bhp.
They are going to be absolute DOGS (with apologies to canines everywhere ;) ) with the 1.0 and the DCT unless they come out with a new slushbox for these new models.

When everyone is saying the 1.0 is used in Formula Fords, are they referencing the actual open wheel race cars, or something else?? [dunno]

My understanding was that they are using OUR 1.6 EB engines, in almost pure stock form, in the current Formula Ford class of open wheel race cars. [???:)]

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Perhaps Ford will have something in common with Dodge... start & end a classic in three years time.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
This is also interesting. Apparently it costs more to build the 1.0 ecoboost than the 1.6 in our cars. I'll stick with the cheaper more powerful, proven option. \
Excerpt taken from the 2015 Ford Press release at the Chicago Auto Show"

"Though it has less holes, the EcoBoost 1.0 costs more to manufacture than Ford?s venerable four-cylinder engine. It?s about $400 more than a Focus with the 1.6L, but its improved emissions can add up to tax savings for some buyers. Eventually, the 1.0L is going to be the base engine for the Focus, Fiesta, and several other models worldwide. The popularity of Ford?s 2.0L and 3.5L EcoBoost mills is expected to help the 1,0L gain complete acceptance here."

They are going to be absolute DOGS (with apologies to canines everywhere ;) ) with the 1.0 and the DCT unless they come out with a new slushbox for these new models.

When everyone is saying the 1.0 is used in Formula Fords, are they referencing the actual open wheel race cars, or something else?? [dunno]

My understanding was that they are using OUR 1.6 EB engines, in almost pure stock form, in the current Formula Ford class of open wheel race cars. [???:)]
[video=youtube;tmZMwk14r4c]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmZMwk14r4c[/video]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
OK, THANKS!

Somehow, I've never seen that beast before.

I guess they are trying to one up the Ariel Atoms and the like, and I'd like to drive one with a full-on, built, 2.3 EB in it! [ohcrap]

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club

There'll be 6 speed manuals and there is talk of offering it with some form of automatic transmission. I hate when they put training wheels on enthusiast cars. If you want a sporting autombile, you should be able to drive a manual. I know more and more manufacturers are doing away with manuals and using SMG, DSG, PDK etc and that they are quicker than the manual cars, but there is something to be said for driver involvement. I love rowing my own gears especially when you have a nice gearbox at your hand.

OK, THANKS!

Somehow, I've never seen that beast before.

I guess they are trying to one up the Ariel Atoms and the like, and I'd like to drive one with a full-on, built, 2.3 EB in it! [ohcrap]
As would I :). You can add this one to the list of forbidden across the pond vehicles :( Call me crazy but I would DD a vehicle like this, as long as weather permitted of course [raceflag]