Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3d printed wing risers.

Has anyone 3d printed their wing risers? I like the look but I'm not trying to spend over $100 for something so small. If no one has done it I want to attempt it but I need dimensions, if anyone knows the dimensions or is willing to get them for me it would be much appreciated. My one concern is the durability of the material, if anyone has any input I'm open to ideas and suggestions.

Spaceman_Spiff

I don't know what kind of copyright-type laws there are protecting their product, but directly copying what they've done doesn't seem very above the table. I'd say if you were willing to put the work in and take measurements on your own of what needs to be there, or look up the do-it-yourself wing riser (made from common hardware components) and take your measurements from there, you might be better off.

Instead of asking someone who's purchased the hardware to turn around and give you the dimensions for free, try doing some leg work on your own.

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #4
I don't know what kind of copyright-type laws there are protecting their product, but directly copying what they've done doesn't seem very above the table. I'd say if you were willing to put the work in and take measurements on your own of what needs to be there, or look up the do-it-yourself wing riser (made from common hardware components) and take your measurements from there, you might be better off.

Instead of asking someone who's purchased the hardware to turn around and give you the dimensions for free, try doing some leg work on your own.
Well I have mechanical engineering and solidworks experience so it's not really a matter of not being able to do it myself. But if I could get the dimensions then I would have a place to build from and it would just cut out a lot of time, work smarter not harder right?

10 outa 10 on the user name and profile picture by the way haha [thumb]

Spaceman_Spiff

Well I have mechanical engineering and solidworks experience so it's not really a matter of not being able to do it myself. But if I could get the dimensions then I would have a place to build from and it would just cut out a lot of time, work smarter not harder right?

10 outa 10 on the user name and profile picture by the way haha [thumb]
Ok, I've tried replying to this a couple times now, hopefully I'm not quadruple-posting!

I'm not saying you don't have the skills to do such a thing - you wouldn't be asking if you didn't, right? I'm just saying that you're talking about reverse-engineering a supporting vendor's product on a forum that they frequent. I don't know what the rules are about that, but it's probably not a good idea. Anyway, that's all I was getting at.

I hear ya that spending $100+ on some little metal pieces seems a bit outrageous. On top of that, it seems to me that 3d-printed risers (plastic?) would be less abrasive on the finish than metal in the long run...

Thanks for noticing the username, etc. Calvin & Hobbes played a big part in my childhood [twothumb]

OP
Tedicus43
Thread Starter #6
Ok, I've tried replying to this a couple times now, hopefully I'm not quadruple-posting!

I'm not saying you don't have the skills to do such a thing - you wouldn't be asking if you didn't, right? I'm just saying that you're talking about reverse-engineering a supporting vendor's product on a forum that they frequent. I don't know what the rules are about that, but it's probably not a good idea. Anyway, that's all I was getting at.

I hear ya that spending $100+ on some little metal pieces seems a bit outrageous. On top of that, it seems to me that 3d-printed risers (plastic?) would be less abrasive on the finish than metal in the long run...

Thanks for noticing the username, etc. Calvin & Hobbes played a big part in my childhood [twothumb]

OH got it, yeah I don't know what the copyright legality would be but I don't think there would really be an issue? but I have no idea.

I had the same thought with it being plastic though. I still want to put rubber washers between the part and my car just in case. I'm just kinda worried about the durability of the material, I don't need my wing flying off my car while I'm on the highway! But I'm pretty sure it would hold up just fine.

And same! My girlfriend and I are going to Halloween parties as Calvin and Hobbes haha.

Spaceman_Spiff

...I'm just kinda worried about the durability of the material, I don't need my wing flying off my car while I'm on the highway!...
It still gets bolted down, it might just start rattling or something if they failed and fell off.

And same! My girlfriend and I are going to Halloween parties as Calvin and Hobbes haha.
That's freaking awesome.

grnmachine02

I'm not going to get into the whole morality issue. I would love some wing risers that didn't cost $100. That being said, I think by being so open about wanting to measure a product, and then reproduce said product, may get you in some hot water legally. I'm not a lawyer, so take that with a grain of salt.

Also, I'll add to the Calvin and Hobbes discussion. I moved recently, and I found a box hidden away in my closet. Inside were 15ish Calvin and Hobbes books. I was trying to collect them all at one point. I wonder how many I still have left to complete them collection. Those books meant so much to me as a kid, hell they still do now.

Ok. We all need to go back and reread those books. I expect a full report...

Sent from my Spaceship