Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Repairing damage to plastic body panels.

grnmachine02

last week we had some pretty bad storms here. i was driving through it, and I hit some debris in the road. Couldn't even see it thanks to the super heavy rain. Long story short, it put some scratches/gouges in my passenger side lower quarter panel. Any home brew method to fix this? I know sanding and filler and paint is the "correct" way, but I was hoping maybe some one had some ideas? I'm not looking to make it 100%, i'd be happy with 80% I think.

I could have it fixed, but I don't feel like paying my insurance deductible. Thanks!

Here's a picture.

man, what a great photo.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Options

Fill it with jbweld plastic sand, spray paint and done.

If not too deep, primer filler spray paint than paint again.

Scuff sand entire rocker and then spray on rocker panel spray paint. It's black, it's textured and it protects.

Fill holes with jbweld plastic and than vinyl wrap the rocker.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #3
I never thought about the JBweld plastic route. I could sand down the high spots, fill it, and then use some touch up paint.

Thanks!

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
It'll only cost a few hundred for a paint shop to respray that area and blend it in. I would suggest going that route instead of home remedies. You can easily remove the bumper for them.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #5
It'll only cost a few hundred for a paint shop to respray that area and blend it in. I would suggest going that route instead of home remedies. You can easily remove the bumper for them.
A simple respray won't do it though. The gouges are deep and jagged. Honestly the panel needs to be replaced.

MKVIIST

5000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
A simple respray won't do it though. The gouges are deep and jagged. Honestly the panel needs to be replaced.
From the pictures you posted it doesn't look that bad, shops can sand down gouges, then respray and blend in that area to the rest of the bumper. Depending on your deductible, the repairs might end up being cheaper than going through your insurance.

OP
G

grnmachine02

Thread Starter #7
That's true. Maybe I'll drop by one this weekend and see about getting an estimate.