Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Nervous and excited

Doing my first auto-x in the ST on Sunday. Been auto-xing for three years in my DSG equipped GTI, so nervous about having to actually think about shifting. Still on stock wheels and tires, so trying to figure out tire pressure with the weather expected to be in the mid-60s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well if it's parking lot auto-x you only have to worry about that 1-2 shift. After that it's just gas and brake. You'll do fine.

OP
Patch
Thread Starter #3
It is a parking lot course, which is also an additional new element to me. The group I normally run with uses an outdoor kart track, which is a blast! I'm sure I'll be fine, which is where the excited part comes in because I've had the ST for a week!

OP
Patch
Thread Starter #5
I had a blast yesterday! There are a lot of differences between this car and the my GTI, so I feel like I'm re-learning to drive. I wasn't fast, had awful lines, and had the stock tires screaming the whole time, but I think I had more fun than I've had since the first year I autocrossed my GTI in 2014. Classing for the event was based on NASA rules, so I was in E class with 25 other drivers (there were 95 total drivers registered). I ended up 20th in class and 78th overall, but I kept telling myself that I had only had the car for 9 days. I managed to trim 4.5 seconds off my time over my 5 runs and think I would have been even faster if I would have been in a later run group because during my work session I got a much better understanding of some of the areas that I struggled with. There is another event this coming Saturday at the kart track where I usually run, so I'm going to try and make it out there to continue to learn the car.

JTP

That's great! I am also "learning" in my little ST. I think this is a such a great little car in general mine is bone stock.

Now I did a track day not auto cross but for tire pressures on the stock tires I started with stock pressures and then slowly lowered them through out the day. I honestly was fastest with the stock pressures which after a session went up 5 psi on each wheel consistently.

OP
Patch
Thread Starter #7
I started at 40/38, but by my last two runs I had lowered it back to stock (based on the recommendation of another FiST driver).