Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

whoosh motorsports 2016 FIST

Trader history for ron@whoosh (1)

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #61
couple small mods today

picked up a Mountune induction hose to test the evap check engine light "fix"
used a 3/8" Boomba check valve on the evap line
deleted the pressure line on the charge pipe with a quick connector and a vac cap + clamp

also ditched the Mishimoto plastic fittings on the oil catch can in favor of some good quality aluminum parts
I don't want to bash Mishimoto but I asked for the correct size of the fittings and was told 3/8 npt with a 1/2" hose so I bought those fittings
guess what, wrong!
3/8" with 5/8" hose is correct so maybe Mishimoto should update their site as well as their CS support LOL

My catch can had a few ounces in it so at least it was doing what its supposed to do

pics for fun

thanks for looking....

I am considering the Mountune or Mishimoto intake hose, not expecting any more power, but hoping for improved throttle response. Can you tell a difference with yours?

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #63
I am considering the Mountune or Mishimoto intake hose, not expecting any more power, but hoping for improved throttle response. Can you tell a difference with yours?
it feels smoother and you can can hear it for sure
I can get you a super deal on Mishimoto as I sell Mishi - Mountune is tough to sell cheaper than Mountune sells direct off their site but I have them as well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
also ditched the Mishimoto plastic fittings on the oil catch can in favor of some good quality aluminum parts
I don't want to bash Mishimoto but I asked for the correct size of the fittings and was told 3/8 npt with a 1/2" hose so I bought those fittings
guess what, wrong!
3/8" with 5/8" hose is correct so maybe Mishimoto should update their site as well as their CS support LOL

My catch can had a few ounces in it so at least it was doing what its supposed to do

pics for fun

thanks for looking....

SMART move on the alloy replacement fittings since that seems to be the most frequent location for leaks on the Mishi OCCs.

IF I had one of their cans, that is the FIRST thing I would get for it, right at the time of installation. [thumb]

(I WISH that the boomba can had 5/8ths hose fittings!! [:(])

Damond Motorsports makes probably the best factory fit catch can. Wish I'd've done a little research before buying my Mishi can. It performs well enough, but I've thought about switching. In any case, I'd recommend getting the Damond check valve and splicing it into the Mishi line. I also cannibalized the factory connectors, as the Mishi ones didn't feel like they connected and sealed very well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I also cannibalized the factory connectors, as the Mishi ones didn't feel like they connected and sealed very well.
Thank you for that info, as I was thinking about getting the Mishi silicone hoses, with the intake manifold and cam cover connectors on them, and adapting them to the boomba OCC setup.[thumb]

Now I will not bother, and just cut the factory, convoluted PCV hose and keep their factory connectors when I install that OCC. [wink]

Thank you for that info, as I was thinking about getting the Mishi silicone hoses, with the intake manifold and cam cover connectors on them, and adapting them to the boomba OCC setup.[thumb]

Now I will not bother, and just cut the factory, convoluted PCV hose and keep their factory connectors when I install that OCC. [wink]
As I said a little earlier, I'd HIGHLY recommend you and Ron getting Damond's check valve and splicing it into your line. It's a quality piece, and mine has performed flawlessly. You can buy it separately from their catch can kit. At the very least, I recommend a check valve of some sort. Why am I recommending it? Well, your OCC setup flows like this: PCV-to-OCC-to-intake manifold. This is all well and good, until you come under boost. This pressurizes the lines, your OCC, and there's the possibility of you bleeding boost past your factory PCV, which isn't very good in the first place. At the very least, you're opening up the opportunity for boost leaks in your catch can, and boost leaks makes a girl like me sad. :(
You'll install the check valve to flow like this: PCV-to-OCC-to-check valve-to-intake manifold. I'll post a pic tomorrow if you wish. Now, under boost, the check valve closes, preventing pressurized air from getting to the OCC and back to your PCV. No boost leaks, and all is sunshine and roses again!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
As I said a little earlier, I'd HIGHLY recommend you and Ron getting Damond's check valve and splicing it into your line. It's a quality piece, and mine has performed flawlessly. You can buy it separately from their catch can kit. At the very least, I recommend a check valve of some sort. Why am I recommending it? Well, your OCC setup flows like this: PCV-to-OCC-to-intake manifold. This is all well and good, until you come under boost. This pressurizes the lines, your OCC, and there's the possibility of you bleeding boost past your factory PCV, which isn't very good in the first place. At the very least, you're opening up the opportunity for boost leaks in your catch can, and boost leaks makes a girl like me sad. :(
You'll install the check valve to flow like this: PCV-to-OCC-to-check valve-to-intake manifold. I'll post a pic tomorrow if you wish. Now, under boost, the check valve closes, preventing pressurized air from getting to the OCC and back to your PCV. No boost leaks, and all is sunshine and roses again!
Yes, THANK YOU [thumb], as I was thinking about doing just that, despite boomba emphatically claiming that it is NOT necessary on a small factory snail with their OCC system (just as they say that their CCV side OCC is only really necessary with BIG boost, BT kits).

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #72
my Mishimoto oil catch can upgrade adventures continue...

Sooooo..... I thought adding a UPR Pro check valve (5/8") to the PCV line could possibly be my final installment regarding upgrades to the Mishi oil catch can kit
well, the clip connectors at the manifold and valve cover and terrible.
The kit has been on my car for just over 1500 miles but the plastic is so brittle already it's like a 80-100,000 mile car where you touch the plastic and it basically just falls apart
I guess I'll be doing some surgery to the OEM line and fitting the OEM connectors to the Mishi silicone hoses for a better seal and crack free connectors

Lastly, I'll be installing a drain so I'll never have to touch this thing again after that LOL!!!!!

Chris G

I had problems with the Mishi connectors and hoses too. Go figure.

Cool build, Ron!

Sooooo..... I thought adding a UPR Pro check valve (5/8") to the PCV line could possibly be my final installment regarding upgrades to the Mishi oil catch can kit
The kit has been on my car for just over 1500 miles but the plastic is so brittle already it's like a 80-100,000 mile car where you touch the plastic and it basically just falls apart
I guess I'll be doing some surgery to the OEM line and fitting the OEM connectors to the Mishi silicone hoses for a better seal and crack free connectors

Lastly, I'll be installing a drain so I'll never have to touch this thing again after that LOL!!!!!

Just fitted a drain kit last night! So much better than having to pull the can each time.

Dealing with the Mishi drain has been a bit... disappointing. So close to being great, but it falls short a bit. I may follow suit with the metal fittings. I don't have much confidence in theirs.

You going to be selling those CVs as a separate item? I may pick one up when you start taking intake payments.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Mishi does NOT use the actual Ford connectors on the ends of their hoses??!! [???:)]

I was going to get their hoses separately to use with my boomba OCC instead of cutting the convoluted factory PCV line, now I am GLAD I did NOT!! [:)]

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #76

Update
I just removed the OEM connectors from the OEM PCV hose (heat gun for 15 seconds, small slit in the hard plastic and off they come
Added one to just the front line where I broke the Mishi connector and just added the UPR Pro check valve - 1000000% better!
I'll be adding the other OEM connector tomorrow

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Ron;

Do you STOCK those non-slotted/solid band, Norma clamps for sale, or do you just have a local source you go to as needed for your own use??

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #78
Ron;

Do you STOCK those non-slotted/solid band, Norma clamps for sale, or do you just have a local source you go to as needed for your own use??
I have a good amount of each size
I don't sell them but they sure come in handy when you have to make parts that should be "ok" actually "ok" [bash]

Thanks for the great ideas on how to improve the mishimoto catch can. The plastic ports really didn't inspire confidence at all. I also purchased a fumato drain valve and the Damond check valve while I was at at it.

OP
ron@whoosh

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Thread Starter #80
that's an excellent idea vs. a hose and plug w/clamp

that's what I'll do as well

thanks buddy!