Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3d Printing interior parts

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I would say trim the height. the width maaaybe a touch but that's just nitpicking at this point. looks great.

Yeah it looks like I'll make it much slimmer, almost flat. I was trying to keep it thicker/stronger so people can add and remove it as they please without it breaking. But I agree, thinner will be better. I'm shooting for an aluminum look, red, blue and black. Maybe yellow
To be honest, I'd just offer it in an an aluminum finish and a "ready for paint" version. That way anyone can easily get the perfect color and finish with ease. Printed plastic struggles to pull off the OEM look, but some light sanding and a rattle can paint job with a few layers of clear coat to match the red inlays on my GT350 shift knob would both look great, and keep an OEM look.

I'm interested.

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #43
To be honest, I'd just offer it in an an aluminum finish and a "ready for paint" version. That way anyone can easily get the perfect color and finish with ease. Printed plastic struggles to pull off the OEM look, but some light sanding and a rattle can paint job with a few layers of clear coat to match the red inlays on my GT350 shift knob would both look great, and keep an OEM look.

I'm interested.

Yeah I probably won't be 3D printing these, it's too expensive. Every version is $30 bucks a pop for me, I don't expect people to want to pay more than that for trim. Ill cast them myself out of plastic, it should be a fraction of the price. I'll try coloring the plastic to see how it turns out. If it doesn't work,I'll move on to paint and wraps.

Yeah I probably won't be 3D printing these, it's too expensive. Every version is $30 bucks a pop for me, I don't expect people to want to pay more than that for trim. Ill cast them myself out of plastic, it should be a fraction of the price. I'll try coloring the plastic to see how it turns out. If it doesn't work,I'll move on to paint and wraps.
Honestly, even if you just printed them in the cheapest white, I would be interested. I would paint and clear coat anyway, so wouldn't mind in the least if you maximized your own profit.

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #48
Also, once I'm happy with the fitment, I'll offer them on shapeways.com for those who want them 3D printed. They have a large array of color choices and materials to pick from. I also significantly dropped the size/thickness so the price will be more reasonable for everyone. I'll still be making an aluminum and maybe carbon fiber wrapped version if there is enough interest.

...currently I'm working on a new part involving stainless steel and carbon fiber plate. I'll be unveiling that in the upcoming weeks [twothumb]

This looks great, and I'm definitely interested, as well. I'm fascinated by the process you're using. What tools are you using on your side to scan the car and design the part? And Shapeways looks like it's basically "Shutterfly for 3D stuff," yes? I've always wanted to try designing and printing in 3D and didn't realize things were so far along since I last checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Would you be interested in 3d printing something to go in the dodgy pocket in front of the shifter.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #52
This looks great, and I'm definitely interested, as well. I'm fascinated by the process you're using. What tools are you using on your side to scan the car and design the part? And Shapeways looks like it's basically "Shutterfly for 3D stuff," yes? I've always wanted to try designing and printing in 3D and didn't realize things were so far along since I last checked.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
These are definitely things I think anyone can learn if they're dedicated enough, but there is a steep learning curve. If someone wanted to get started I would suggest jumping into Google Sketch up to get their feet wet. It can do basic 3D sketching and it's free. Another good 3D software I like is FUSION 360, it is also free for home use. There are many others but they get much more complex and very very expensive.... as far as 3D scanning real life objects? well that still isn't an easy task unless you want to spend some $$. Auto desk has a free 3D scanning app that seems to work if you have the patients. You basically take many photos of your object from different angles and it will stitch them together to create a 3D mesh. If you have any other questions feel free to ask, I know this is just scraping the surface.

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #53
I tried out the polished red plastic for my next revision. I really like the way it looks and still seems very strong for how thin I made it.

4.jpg

3.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

But here is where it gets tricky. From the start, I wanted this piece to simply snap into place with no 3M tape or fasteners. But after repeatedly attempting a good fit I don't think it is going to happen. The tolerances are just too tight between our boot and the surrounding plastic. Also, I think it will be even worse for people with aftermarket boots. So I'm thinking the easiest/cheapest and best way for everyone to install this is to use double sided tape. I really didn't want to go this route but it just seems like the best option that will cause the least amount of headaches. I'd like to hear from everyone else on the subject. Would double sided tape be acceptable? If so these could be available tomorrow for purchase.

I tried out the polished red plastic for my next revision. I really like the way it looks and still seems very strong for how thin I made it.

View attachment 12183

View attachment 12184

View attachment 12185

View attachment 12186

But here is where it gets tricky. From the start, I wanted this piece to simply snap into place with no 3M tape or fasteners. But after repeatedly attempting a good fit I don't think it is going to happen. The tolerances are just too tight between our boot and the surrounding plastic. Also, I think it will be even worse for people with aftermarket boots. So I'm thinking the easiest/cheapest and best way for everyone to install this is to use double sided tape. I really didn't want to go this route but it just seems like the best option that will cause the least amount of headaches. I'd like to hear from everyone else on the subject. Would double sided tape be acceptable? If so these could be available tomorrow for purchase.
Fine by me absolutely no issues

I'm OK with that too. Ordering a redline boot this morning so I'm looking forward to this trim to finish the new look off.

What's your opinion on the best finish to match the other silver trim pieces in the cabin?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #56
Those pictures look terrible on my Ipad so here are some more if anyone has a problem viewing them.

a.jpg

b.jpg

c.jpg

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #57
I'm OK with that too. Ordering a redline boot this morning so I'm looking forward to this trim to finish the new look off.

What's your opinion on the best finish to match the other silver trim pieces in the cabin?

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Well, they offer a metallic plastic but I have never seen it in person. I think I may do ONE more revision since I'm not 100% comfortable with the fitment. I don't like spotty quality, so I won't stop until it seems perfect. I'll order it in the metallic and let you know how it looks.

...THAT being said, I apologize for everyone waiting. I know this seems like a long process for something small but I do this in my spare time. If there is interest I may throw up a test piece anyone can order but I can't guarantee the fitment.

If there is any chance of getting this in metallic purple, I would be all over it.

Sent from the Canyon's Edge

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #60
Okay!! For everyone that wants these 3D printed, you can get them HERE. Just throw some thin 3M tape on the back and you're ready to go.
In the meantime, I'll be working on adding some carbon fiber, aluminum, and exotic colored vinyl wraps. PM me if anyone has any questions/ideas/concerns.

1A.jpg

Pictured above is an example of basic white and metallic plastic. The other colors are very bright, so take a look at some material examples before you buy. I have an example of a polished red in my older posts.