Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3d Printing interior parts

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #121
I would be down for anything to make the Fob smaller since its as big as my wallet. I'm a minimalist and I hate things in my pockets. Including cash apparently.
View attachment 12628
Hey I like minimalist wallets too! Here's mine but I broke the rubber gaskets holding it together.
2-compressor.jpg

As for key fobs, these are the few I like and may go in this direction. The only problem being is that these are large.
TIK-ROV-11_1.jpg

s888887671857724308_p4_i1_w2560-compressor.jpeg

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Got mine a couple weeks back....looks great in blue with blue led interior lights. I couldn't apply it yet due to it being colder than a well diggers ass in Mn. It'll be warmer soon I hope...

Got mine in today, a nice yellow one. Sanded it with a 800 grit sand paper to smooth out the rough texture. Gonna put a coat of clear. Should look really good once I put it on.

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #127
Would it be possible to 3d print gauge pods? you'd prob make a killing.
Yeah it's possible, just depends where you want to incorporate them.

Also, if anyone needs to save some money Shapeways is having a 20% off sale for the end of the year on the strong and flexible plastics. Discount code is FAREWELL2016. They've always worked for me when ordering parts. I hope that can help someone if they're interested.

-Dan

I ordered the polished white and painted it with silver paint and attached with 3M 1/4" wide automotive trim grade tape. It doesn't look polished to me, it's too grainy. If you try and apply enough paint to fill in the surface, it will be too thick and crack easily. It is too tiny to sand to a smooth surface without damaging the shape/edges. It looks fine from a few feet away, but any closer and you can see the grain of the plastic. Any way to make the surface smoother at manufacture?

IMG_1060x.jpg

I ordered the polished white and painted it with silver paint and attached with 3M 1/4" wide automotive trim grade tape. It doesn't look polished to me, it's too grainy. If you try and apply enough paint to fill in the surface, it will be too thick and crack easily. It is too tiny to sand to a smooth surface without damaging the shape/edges. It looks fine from a few feet away, but any closer and you can see the grain of the plastic. Any way to make the surface smoother at manufacture?

View attachment 12805
You can sand it smooth, but it takes time. I did a wet sand with 800 grit sand paper and took most of the texture away. I finished it off with a few coats of polyurethane. After about a day I used some automotive polishing compound or head light restorer and polished up the urethane. It has a nice glossy sheen to it now and if the light hits it just right you can see that there were some pits that were not sanded out but not like it was before. Since you are painting it I would try and sand it a little bit to get some of the peak out and get some high build primer and put a few coats on, sand it, color it then clear coat and polish.

brbauer2

Not mounted yet, just a test fit. Plan on sanding it smooth and probably going to paint it a little darker to match the seats.

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Finally getting some time to make some parts for my car. Starting off small, I always thought the lack of trim around the shifter looked terrible. I spent some time drawing up a trim piece to get 3d printed. It's not painted right now but I was either going to make it black or wrap it in brushed aluminum. I'll be making a mold to have a small production run for anyone interested.

View attachment 11824
Stock

View attachment 11825
Trim piece added

View attachment 11826
I ordered a blue one!

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk