Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

3d Printing interior parts

Finally getting some time to make some parts for my car. Starting off small, I always thought the lack of trim around the shifter looked terrible. I spent some time drawing up a trim piece to get 3d printed. It's not painted right now but I was either going to make it black or wrap it in brushed aluminum. I'll be making a mold to have a small production run for anyone interested.

rsz_img_20161013_170635.jpg
Stock

rsz_img_20161013_173109.jpg
Trim piece added

rsz_img_20161013_174529.jpg

I like that. It does kind of finish off that area. I would be interested. Would it be possible to make it a little thinner?

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #4
I like that. It does kind of finish off that area. I would be interested. Would it be possible to make it a little thinner?
Yeah, on my next print I'm thinking about cutting the height down by maybe 1/3. It does seem too thick.

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #8
Shapeways rapid prototyping in their most cost saving white :) am I right? hehehe... I use them a lot for work.
Haha hit the nail on the head. 3D printers are improving so fast that i can't justify to buy my own, it would be out of date in a few months. I do have an X-Carve CNC at home for tinkering around though. I have a few more parts in mind.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Finally getting some time to make some parts for my car. Starting off small, I always thought the lack of trim around the shifter looked terrible. I spent some time drawing up a trim piece to get 3d printed. It's not painted right now but I was either going to make it black or wrap it in brushed aluminum. I'll be making a mold to have a small production run for anyone interested.

View attachment 11824
Stock

View attachment 11825
Trim piece added

View attachment 11826

Could you do it in colors?

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #10
Could you do it in colors?
The short answer is yes.

I could have them 3d printed in different colors. Or, if I cast these myself I can dye the plastic to any color. I was even thinking about CNC-ing this out of aluminum but that would be overkill. You could also just paint them or even hydro dip the plastic.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I think....you could sell them in blk....red....white....blue....for sure. I agree with you on the interior missing some flare.[thumb]

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
nice touch. would go well with redline or ss tuning leather boot. I'm definitely in if the price is reasonable. how would we go about securing it? 3M tape?

OP
WhiteST
Thread Starter #18
Right now I have it set up to snap right in, no 3m tape required. It's almost finalized but there's not much room to get the snaps to work. Anyone have a price range of what they think this should be? It'll give me a better idea of what materials to use.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Right now I have it set up to snap right in, no 3m tape required. It's almost finalized but there's not much room to get the snaps to work. Anyone have a price range of what they think this should be? It'll give me a better idea of what materials to use.
Aluminum look, i'd say $30-50. Actual CNC'd aluminum, 50-80? Keep in mind i have NO IDEA what i'm talking about. Just what i'd be willing to pay for that decorative interior bit. I figured if RedlineGoods sells their leather goodies for around 50 bucks.... Keep in mind that the less expensive it is, the more people will jump all over it. Just maintain a margin that keeps you motivated!

Also, in another thread a guy came up with a great idea. That useless pocket in front of the shifter. He suggested making an insert with a lip on the end and maybe a slight forward (front of car) slant. This way we could actually put stuff in there without it falling out.

http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/11085-What-are-these-openings-for?p=188286#post188286