Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

What are these openings for??

What are these openings for??
The one above the glove box doesn't seem useful at all. It's tilted slightly out
so anything you put in there (a pencil) would fall out

The one above the stick shift, is too small for a phone, maybe sun glasses?

ford-fiesta-openings.jpg

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Above the glove is for the mood lighting and style i assume. In front of the shifter...never really used it. Shit just falls out. If we didn't have cobb i'd maybe build in an electronic boost controller. Or maybe digital air bag controller, subwoofer fader module or something along those lines. otherwise totally useless.

I velcro my garage door opener to the top of the console hole. Very convenient.
The right side dash I can only think its for the ambient lighting to show through.

For the opening in front of the shifter, it would be great if someone with a 3d printer could make an insert, with sides and a front lip, that would fit inside. Great place for change, keys, a phone...

The spot in front of the shifter is where I keep my wallet and the spot behind it is where I keep my phone while driving. I can't stand it in my pocket and it seems to stay in there perfectly in both instances.

haste

1000 Post Club
The spot in front of the shifter is where I keep my wallet and the spot behind it is where I keep my phone while driving. I can't stand it in my pocket and it seems to stay in there perfectly in both instances.
Same here. I think they had the thought of someone using the recaros without having anything in their pockets.

The slot above the glove box is for the Ford installed lighting. I'll grab a pic tonight to show it if you want.

The spot in front of the shifter is a waste. I like the 3d printed idea mentioned above, or some other useful object. I tried putting my sunglasses in there, and no dice. They don't fit right, and fall out first corner I get to. My wallet is in my pocket. And I was considering making some attachment thing to bolt in there for an AP later, or my phone.

My Air Lift controller sits in the dip with the 12v socket, and I put my phone there sometimes too.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd like to remove the "cubby" above the shifter and replace with a flat plastic plate/face, so I can put some rocker switches and/or a gauge there.

Had to cut it out pretty precise so there are no gaps and then sand with fine paper. I then made a template and cut out of 1/8 Masonite and wrapped with carbon vinyl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here the template, just made it out of heavy poster board or picture mat material. I wanted to relocated my power plug from the original spot.

Sorry kind of out of order! And this is the back side you have to trim off

OP
V
Thread Starter #17
What would be cool, and fairly easy to do, is make a thingy, that just slides into that opening. The thingy would have a 12v power port as the one pic shows. But also several charge only USB ports.
Ideally you could put the thingy in there without taking apart your dash
You'd have to figure out how to pick up power, but I think you could drill a hole and feed a wire back to pick up power from the fuse panel behind the glove box.

I velcro my garage door opener to the top of the console hole. Very convenient.
The right side dash I can only think its for the ambient lighting to show through.
Agreed. I do the same here. Fiesta ST doesn't have HomeLink like my other cars do, so having a discreet place to keep the garage door opener easily accesible and not visible, is prime! Blocking the openings off seems like such a pain in the ass. I can think of other cool things I'd rather be doing than blocking off those openings that people aren't resourceful enough to find use for. Not to mention you're possibly devaluing your car a bit by mucking those parts up. Just ignore them and drive it.

The opening above the glove department is purely for design purposes. The opening breaks up the large surface area that would be comprised of both the lower and upper dashboard halves.

Ford then thought it would be a nice place for an ambient strip light. I'd say they did great work.

...ANYWAYS... who else has done something with this?
...ANYWAYS... Just ignore the openings man. The irresistible urge to tinker around with crap on a car that doesn't really need tinkering around with is hard to overcome, but you can do it. Save your interior. You'll be glad you did later on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
ModBargains SoCal Fiesta ST Owners 0