Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

RMM install, slight 'clicking' at low speeds

So installed my RMM last week, notice a faint 'clicking' at low speeds as the engine moves. Followed the instructions to a 'T', and used the recommended torque specs. Will definitely get under the car this weekend to re-check all the bolts, but wondering if anyone else experience similar after the RMM install? All insight welcome. Thanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Erbarry

U.S. Marine Veteran
I just installed mine and have no clicking just the vibration at idle. Clicking could be something with your tires, brakes or maybe serpentine belt, something that's rotating. Does it make it while moving or even sitting still?

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #3
I just installed mine and have no clicking just the vibration at idle. Clicking could be something with your tires, brakes or maybe serpentine belt, something that's rotating. Does it make it while moving or even sitting still?
Hmmm. Seems that it is something connected to engine movement; suspect that the upper mounts experience more play now that the RMM has less movement, or a similar compensation for the change made down low. Hopefully will get to the bottom of it when I get it on the lift tomorrow.

Finally, I've been meaning to post this for a while. I have the same issue. Sounds like a little click when I get in and out of parking spaces lot at work. Other than that it isn't noticeable. I'd been meaning to check the engine mounts on the side and also recheck the RMM.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
is this problem isolated to a certain brand or all RMM's???

I read through the posts, didn't see the type of mount mentioned
is it a super stiff mount or ???
just curious...

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Is it at steady low speeds or accelerating? On overrun? And are you by any chance turning the wheel when it clicks?

I've heard of this with the Mountune RMM. Something about adding poly grease to the bushings.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #9
Finally, I've been meaning to post this for a while. I have the same issue. Sounds like a little click when I get in and out of parking spaces lot at work. Other than that it isn't noticeable. I'd been meaning to check the engine mounts on the side and also recheck the RMM.
Yes, this.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #10
is this problem isolated to a certain brand or all RMM's???

I read through the posts, didn't see the type of mount mentioned
is it a super stiff mount or ???
just curious...
It's the mountune.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #12
Is it at steady low speeds or accelerating? On overrun? And are you by any chance turning the wheel when it clicks?
It's at very low speeds, like parking lot type speeds. That's the only time. Don't seem to hear or feel it as much on the 2-3 shift or at all into the higher gears.

OP
FreshST
Thread Starter #13
I've heard of this with the Mountune RMM. Something about adding poly grease to the bushings.
Might be it. Is the mountune RMM. Everything was tight when I looked at it over the weekend. Picked up some grease and anti seize, may have to attack it again this weekend...

Mine is the Cobb RMM. It only happens when changing direction. Backing up and then again when I start to go forward. It's just like a little knock but it doesn't seem to do it at all under hard braking or anything. It's completely inaudible while on the track or going nuts in a roundabout. I remember during the install that little black double layered washer. I always think of that clinking every time it happens.

kevinatfms

I had it on my "powerflex" bushing equipped stock mount. I found that the sleeve that goes through the large bushing is a larger diameter than the bolt that goes through the subframe and into the bushing. When the transmission changes direction(fed to rev) or "jerk" from on/off power it would make a clicking sound. You can tighten it down but it will loosen over time. I ended up going with the CP-E mount as they have the correctly sized sleeve along with the inserts that center the bolt in the mount. Installed the CP-E once and have not touched it since.

I suggest checking that bolt. Remove the mount, slide the bolt through the bushing sleeve and see the gap. It should be flush to remove this but for some odd reason it isnt.