Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler for stock turbo: lightest yet effective?

OP
A
Thread Starter #22
Have you found out any info on the Depo Racing IC?
Depo is 468 cubic inches of volume which is less than the Cobb core. It is bar and plate so it'll be heavier than the tube/fin options. Price is good though.

Waterfan

Possibly crazy idea/question, based on possibly false assumptions, but prioritizes weight above all other decision criteria: Stock FMIC (which is the lightest option) + more efficient turbo? (hybrid, etc?)

My possibly incorrect assumption is that a more efficient turbo would create less heat overall at higher rpms for a net benefit in power sufficient for your power and weight goals. Hybrid turbos use the same stock frame and are possibly the exact same weight as stock.

Crazy Idea #1 Variant #2: the DHM quickspool kit has a tubular header which is most likely lighter than the stock cast iron manifold.

Crazy/Oddball idea #2: DHM Crashbar + Stock FMIC + Stock Turbo + WMI Setup (tank in the rear). (DHM has a lighter rear crashbar I think)

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
Possibly crazy idea/question, based on possibly false assumptions, but prioritizes weight above all other decision criteria: Stock FMIC (which is the lightest option) + more efficient turbo? (hybrid, etc?)

My possibly incorrect assumption is that a more efficient turbo would create less heat overall at higher rpms for a net benefit in power sufficient for your power and weight goals. Hybrid turbos use the same stock frame and are possibly the exact same weight as stock.

Crazy Idea #1 Variant #2: the DHM quickspool kit has a tubular header which is most likely lighter than the stock cast iron manifold.

Crazy/Oddball idea #2: DHM Crashbar + Stock FMIC + Stock Turbo + WMI Setup (tank in the rear). (DHM has a lighter rear crashbar I think)
You're right they're all crazy. The hybrid turbos emit just as much if not more heat than the stock turbo since they're running more boost and pushing much more air. Just as an example. My turbo (cyborg 39) has a turbo blanket, and I have heat wrap on my inlet and exhaust manifold and when I do 3rd gear pulls my charge temps shoot up 20 degrees with my Cobb FMIC which is way more efficient than stock. With the stock intercooler and upgraded turbo, you'd be heat soaked all the time and your ECU would be pulling timing and boost. In short whatever you would save in weight ( approximately 6 lbs) would be more than wasted with your loss in performance due to heat soak. Race teams who value weight as much as anyone would never sacrifice power and reliability for the sake of a few lbs. Just my .02

OP
A
Thread Starter #25
I think I've decided the answer is the Peron Super Stock intercooler. It's a lighter tube and fin design and seems like it is adequately sized for the stock turbo.

Couple of problems...

1. Seems to be sold out everywhere
2. I can't find any info to indicate where it would fit a USDM car
3. I have no idea what it would take to fit it with the DHM crash bar

OP
A
Thread Starter #26
So I ended up getting a smashing deal on a new Mountune in black.

It's tube and fin and ended up weighing 7.5 lbs on the nose. The stock intercooler weighs 4.64 lbs. So that is a very minimal increase. Combined with the DHM crash bar, that would still be a nice weight savings off the nose of the car, net.

Trouble is...I'm not sure if this intercooler is effective enough. I'm seeing 40F rise in temps on a 3rd gear pull from 2K. From a 1-5 roll, I saw DOUBLE the ambient temp. I can only imagine at a track day the intercooler is going to stay heat soaked much like stock.

Maybe my expectations were too high?

TUX15ST

THAT IS AWFUL! I ONLY GET ABOUT A 15 DEGREE RISE ON MY CHEAP MTC iC ON A ROUGHLY 85 DEGREE DAY DOING A 2500-REDLINE PULL. AND BASICALLY BACK DOWN TO AMBIENT WHEN NOT DOING A PULL, HAVE YOU REMOVED YOUR LOWER GRILL ALSO?

OP
A
Thread Starter #28
THAT IS AWFUL! I ONLY GET ABOUT A 15 DEGREE RISE ON MY CHEAP MTC iC ON A ROUGHLY 85 DEGREE DAY DOING A 2500-REDLINE PULL. AND BASICALLY BACK DOWN TO AMBIENT WHEN NOT DOING A PULL, HAVE YOU REMOVED YOUR LOWER GRILL ALSO?
Yeah, I've had the lower grill off even with the stock FMIC. I will try and put some comparison logs together. I wonder if this was why the black Mountune FMIC was steeply discounted...

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Yeah, I've had the lower grill off even with the stock FMIC. I will try and put some comparison logs together. I wonder if this was why the black Mountune FMIC was steeply discounted...
I believe there's numerous posts about the inefficiency of mountunes intercooler.

OP
A
Thread Starter #30
I believe there's numerous posts about the inefficiency of mountunes intercooler.
Sadly I think I dropped the ball in not researching enough and focused to much on the weight reduction. I may end up selling mine and finding something suitable for tracking but with less heat soak if that is even possible.

On a related note, even Stratified says the charge temps are rising high (with my logs):

Also if you wanted to try and counteract that 3LB the the DHM intercooler/crash bar adds, you could shave the back of your grill and loose probably a pound or two of plastic. STUFF IS THICK.

Your beating around the bush when the easy answer is an option.

OP
A
Thread Starter #32
Also if you wanted to try and counteract that 3LB the the DHM intercooler/crash bar adds, you could shave the back of your grill and loose probably a pound or two of plastic. STUFF IS THICK.

Your beating around the bush when the easy answer is an option.
That's likely the route I will go knowing what I know at this point but I'll need to address engine cooling as well considering I was already overheating last summer and I suspect the DHM race cooler will only make that worse.

That's likely the route I will go knowing what I know at this point but I'll need to address engine cooling as well considering I was already overheating last summer and I suspect the DHM race cooler will only make that worse.
Id give it a shot before doing engine cooling mods. Opening up the grill and deleting the massive flow blocking crash bar really lets air start to move through the car.

Ford Community Posts