Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stereo questions

neeqness

1000 Post Club
There are a few posts of successful subs in the trunk under the floor. I went with a simple sub under the seat and some hipass filters on the full range speakers. My sub is not as nice as the subs mentioned here but it did the job for less than the cost of just one of these speakers and it sounds great because it retains the factory tuning. Only needing a little tweaking with the eq and the sub settings.

I do hear you about the tweeter placement in the sail portion and I agree but that seems like a lot of work. After installing the above and tweaking the sound, the highs were coming in pretty clear because the full range speakers were also playing highs (and mids) much more clearly after installing the high pass filters. For someone on a budget and short on time I'm actually impressed with the sound. Ant?rticas post about factory tuning makes a lot of sense now.

Sent using Tapatalk

antarctica24

There are a few posts of successful subs in the trunk under the floor. I went with a simple sub under the seat and some hipass filters on the full range speakers. My sub is not as nice as the subs mentioned here but it did the job for less than the cost of just one of these speakers and it sounds great because it retains the factory tuning. Only needing a little tweaking with the eq and the sub settings.

I do hear you about the tweeter placement in the sail portion and I agree but that seems like a lot of work. After installing the above and tweaking the sound, the highs were coming in pretty clear because the full range speakers were also playing highs (and mids) much more clearly after installing the high pass filters. For someone on a budget and short on time I'm actually impressed with the sound. Ant?rticas post about factory tuning makes a lot of sense now.

Sent
Thanks for send out. I'm glad that worked for you. I think more important than anything I've said is doing what works for your ears because ultimately it's your ears that will be listening. I stopped by aspen sound the other day and listened to one of their salespersons cars and he was going on and on about how great it was. I told him I was glad he liked it but it was a different direction I was going in. I like to check out other cars from those who work in The industry from time to time just to see where they are. He was jamin with his mp3's. Point taken I guess.

Regardless I'm glad you got your system together and it works for you. There's nothing worse than installing a bunch of stuff and you not like it.

To your comments on tuning, what it comes down to is the better the placement of the speakers the less tuning you have to do. I can't say I like the sony tuning, but on the the time alignment sony did based on the speaker placement it's hard to complain. That was a piece of work.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Thanks for send out. I'm glad that worked for you. I think more important than anything I've said is doing what works for your ears because ultimately it's your ears that will be listening. I stopped by aspen sound the other day and listened to one of their salespersons cars and he was going on and on about how great it was. I told him I was glad he liked it but it was a different direction I was going in. I like to check out other cars from those who work in The industry from time to time just to see where they are. He was jamin with his mp3's. Point taken I guess.

Regardless I'm glad you got your system together and it works for you. There's nothing worse than installing a bunch of stuff and you not like it.

To your comments on tuning, what it comes down to is the better the placement of the speakers the less tuning you have to do. I can't say I like the sony tuning, but on the the time alignment sony did based on the speaker placement it's hard to complain. That was a piece of work.
Yes I agree. Don't misunderstand. I'd like to move my tweeters also. I know that the sound would be better there, I'd just rather not because it seems like more work than I want to do. Sooner or later I may sell this car (not because I don't like it - it is easily the most smiles per mile car I've ever driven). I do not want it to "look" like a modified car.

Tuning and modding are both new to me also. Although most of the cars I've driven have been sport cars, I usually keep them pretty much stock. This is the first time I've ever modded and I have no idea how to get speakers properly tuned after I move them. I decided since changing the head unit would be too much trouble and the oem speakers aren't too bad (and my budget is somewhat low), I would try to just get the best bang for my buck with the stock sound system. Still everyone who has heard it says it sounds great for a stock system. They usually assume that I upgraded the speakers.

Can't really take credit for it here though as I got my ideas from RAAMaudio and you antartica, haha. But I'm grateful. [emoji106] [emoji2]

Sent using Tapatalk

antarctica24

Yes I agree. Don't misunderstand. I'd like to move my tweeters also. I know that the sound would be better there, I'd just rather not because it seems like more work than I want to do. Sooner or later I may sell this car (not because I don't like it - it is easily the most smiles per mile car I've ever driven). I do not want it to "look" like a modified car.

Tuning and modding are both new to me also. Although most of the cars I've driven have been sport cars, I usually keep them pretty much stock. This is the first time I've ever modded and I have no idea how to get speakers properly tuned after I move them. I decided since changing the head unit would be too much trouble and the oem speakers aren't too bad (and my budget is somewhat low), I would try to just get the best bang for my buck with the stock sound system. Still everyone who has heard it says it sounds great for a stock system. They usually assume that I upgraded the speakers.

Can't really take credit for it here though as I got my ideas from RAAMaudio and you antartica, haha. But I'm grateful. [emoji106] [emoji2]

Sent using Tapatalk
Here's something that will really surprise you, the secret to tuning a sound system is to not trust your ears. Your ears will lie to you. What happens is after about 20 minutes of listening to anything your brain retuned what's coming in pretty much regardless of how it sounds. Have you ever noticed when reading something and the words can be messed up but your brain fills in what's missing and you read it like there nothing wrong with it? Audio works the same way. If you tune by your own ears your tuning it compensating for what you like not always with what sounds correct. This comment will bruise a lot of ego's but it's the truth. In the 25 plus years of doing this I've gotten real good with getting in a car and telling you it's right or not, and what's missing, but when I'm tuning I use an rta standing outside the car. I won't listen to it until I have all of the crossovers and eq set. I do timealignment with a tape measure and calculations. When I'm done I might tweet something here and there but more times than not I don't. Then I will listen to some of my go to music for about 20 minutes then cut it off and come back the next day and do it again. The RTA never lies and is never wrong. Rammaudio may say he would never tune unless he was tuning by ear, and that's his choice, but I would put my rta tunes system against anyone's ear tuned system any day of the week.

I can't tell how many competitions I judged where the competitor said we stayed up all night tuning it and then don't understand why the lost to the guy who's been tuning 20 min a day for the last two weeks.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Here's something that will really surprise you, the secret to tuning a sound system is to not trust your ears. Your ears will lie to you. What happens is after about 20 minutes of listening to anything your brain retuned what's coming in pretty much regardless of how it sounds. Have you ever noticed when reading something and the words can be messed up but your brain fills in what's missing and you read it like there nothing wrong with it? Audio works the same way. If you tune by your own ears your tuning it compensating for what you like not always with what sounds correct. This comment will bruise a lot of ego's but it's the truth. In the 25 plus years of doing this I've gotten real good with getting in a car and telling you it's right or not, and what's missing, but when I'm tuning I use an rta standing outside the car. I won't listen to it until I have all of the crossovers and eq set. I do timealignment with a tape measure and calculations. When I'm done I might tweet something here and there but more times than not I don't. Then I will listen to some of my go to music for about 20 minutes then cut it off and come back the next day and do it again. The RTA never lies and is never wrong. Rammaudio may say he would never tune unless he was tuning by ear, and that's his choice, but I would put my rta tunes system against anyone's ear tuned system any day of the week.

I can't tell how many competitions I judged where the competitor said we stayed up all night tuning it and then don't understand why the lost to the guy who's been tuning 20 min a day for the last two weeks.
What's an rta?

Sent using Tapatalk

antarctica24

What's an rta?

Sent using Tapatalk
Real time analyzer, it measures frequency response. You can download one for your phone, you can buy one for windows on parts express, or buy a dedicated one at audio control.

If you play pink noise through your system, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

You can download through iTunes or buy a test disc for audiophiles, and then monitor using your rta, it will show you the acoustic signature of your vehicle as played through your sound system. You use this to make your eq adjustments.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Real time analyzer, it measures frequency response. You can download one for your phone, you can buy one for windows on parts express, or buy a dedicated one at audio control.

If you play pink noise through your system, https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pink_noise

You can download through iTunes or buy a test disc for audiophiles, and then monitor using your rta, it will show you the acoustic signature of your vehicle as played through your sound system. You use this to make your eq adjustments.
Ok, just to make sure I got it right. I have to get an rta and a pink noise audio file and play the pink noise file while the rta analyzes it to tell me how best to adjust the eq?

Sent using Tapatalk

antarctica24

Ok, just to make sure I got it right. I have to get an rta and a pink noise audio file and play the pink noise file while the rta analyzes it to tell me how best to adjust the eq?

Sent using Tapatalk
That's correct, if you pm me your phone number I can walk you through it.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Thanks antartica! I'll send you a pm shortly!

Sent using Tapatalk

jtm787

Hi there guys anybody knows what the actual number for the sat navigation number for the module behind the touch screen

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Where are you all penetrating the firewall for the battery cable? Thanks.

Here's something that will really surprise you, the secret to tuning a sound system is to not trust your ears. Your ears will lie to you. What happens is after about 20 minutes of listening to anything your brain retuned what's coming in pretty much regardless of how it sounds. Have you ever noticed when reading something and the words can be messed up but your brain fills in what's missing and you read it like there nothing wrong with it? Audio works the same way. If you tune by your own ears your tuning it compensating for what you like not always with what sounds correct. This comment will bruise a lot of ego's but it's the truth. In the 25 plus years of doing this I've gotten real good with getting in a car and telling you it's right or not, and what's missing, but when I'm tuning I use an rta standing outside the car. I won't listen to it until I have all of the crossovers and eq set. I do timealignment with a tape measure and calculations. When I'm done I might tweAK something here and there but more times than not I don't. Then I will listen to some of my go to music for about 20 minutes then cut it off and come back the next day and do it again. The RTA never lies and is never wrong. Rammaudio may say he would never tune unless he was tuning by ear, and that's his choice, but I would put my rta tunes system against anyone's ear tuned system any day of the week.

I can relate. Using a sound generator (the old Windows 3.1/95/98 Cool Edit software) I created various test sounds from 10Hz on up through 20kHz. Pretty much anything over 12kHz was inaudible, signal distortion from cranking it too high aside. I loved how it sounded but later discovered (on certain audio tracks) that there was almost a complete drop-out around 250 or 300Hz (don't precisely recall). It was a rather complex interaction between the cross-overs, DSP sound focusing, EQ, door speakers and the low port-tuning on the JBL tube. There weren't any real mid-bass drivers. So I could never really tune it back in without making it sound a really flat, average.

BTW, the playback source, when using analog, has a real impact on tuning.

Where are you all penetrating the firewall for the battery cable? Thanks.

I can relate. Using a sound generator (the old Windows 3.1/95/98 Cool Edit software) I created various test sounds from 10Hz on up through 20kHz. Pretty much anything over 12kHz was inaudible, signal distortion from cranking it too high aside. I loved how it sounded but later discovered (on certain audio tracks) that there was almost a complete drop-out around 250 or 300Hz (don't precisely recall). It was a rather complex interaction between the cross-overs, DSP sound focusing, EQ, door speakers and the low port-tuning on the JBL tube. There weren't any real mid-bass drivers. So I could never really tune it back in without making it sound a really flat, average.

BTW, the playback source, when using analog, has a real impact on tuning.
There is a small grommet near the hood latch cable. It is about 2" higher, and about 2" closer to the drivers side. Very hard to reach, but I managed to remove the grommet and drill a hole in it for some 4ga cable. Not sure if that is big enough for your needs.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk