Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tire Psi.

On the way to work today I got a low tire psi warning light so I figured I hit a nail. I pulled over to look for a nail but couldn't find one. So I checked psi on all 4 tires. All at about 30 psi. Probably from the temperature change. It was about 51 degrees today. Does anyone use the manufacturer recommendation of 39 psi front / 36 psi rear ? I was thinking 35 psi on all 4 ?

Intuit

3000 Post Club
From a tire failure risk perspective, higher tire pressures are actually safer because less flex occurs which keeps tire temps lower. The drawbacks are a harder ride and reduced traction. Can you imagine the pressure-spike that occurs when you hit a sewer or pothole at 30mph? Bumping pressure up a mere 5-10 PSI is virtually meaningless from a blow-out risk perspective. The chief enemy to tire stability is heat generation. It may be worth lowering pressures a bit when you require extra traction under slippery weather conditions; but beyond that, it is safer to stick with >35PSI pressures.

OP
E
Thread Starter #4
Thanks for the replies. So I'll go with the 39 front & 36 rear tonight after work