Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Static Noise

Hello. I have a 2014 Fiesta ST with the basic sony system, no nav.

I replaced all speakers, had a 4 channel amp installed and I'm getting a static type of sound when I use anything but the AM radio. It sounds like static feedback.

I started out with an AudioControl LC 4.800 4 channel amp and got the static noise. Thinking that it was the amp I replaced the amp with a ARC Audio XDi 600.4 and still get the static noise.

I am thinking of replacing the amp an Audison Prima AP8.9 bit amp.

But before I do that has anyone had the problem I'm facing? I asked my audio guy where the noise comes from and he says from the factory unit.

Check all of your grounds. Also could be low quality rcas. Another don't run your signal wires near you power wires.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Might be a signal to noise ratio kind of thing... Many people turn up the amps so high that they amplify the static (and the signal). Try to turn down the gain of the amp... you can still probably get plenty of volume using the volume control, but then you won't amplify the static nearly as much.

Good luck,

Might be a signal to noise ratio kind of thing... Many people turn up the amps so high that they amplify the static (and the signal). Try to turn down the gain of the amp... you can still probably get plenty of volume using the volume control, but then you won't amplify the static nearly as much.

Good luck,
That's a good point to [MENTION=4427]bgrazman[/MENTION]!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
T
Thread Starter #5

Good luck,

This could be it. My audio guy installed the amp underneath the drivers seat so I'll have to lift the seat to make any adjustments. I'll give this a shot real soon.

Hear are pictures of the install just in case anyone is interested

Front CDT woofer:

CDT Tweeter mounted:

Front crossover:

Rear woofer:

By the way I'm not using any signal processor. If adjusting the gain in the amp doesn't help, I may look into a high end signal processor.

OP
T
Thread Starter #6
Lowered the gain setting to minimum and changed the cross over settings to full.
Speakers breathe better and static noise is at a minimum. It's still there but it's no longer a nuisance.
By the way do you guys think a high end signal processor can eliminate this static noise?

Thanks.

Glad it helped... I have an Audison bit 10--and my opinion, for what it's worth, is that the processor won't kill the bit of static left. There is an awful lot of other good things that it can do, but not that. The big examples in my particular system were to de-EQ the head unit and "time align" the speakers to throw the image into the windshield (no rear speakers). I also went with two way speaker system and a 5 channel amp meaning that I also did all the 'crossing over' in the processor and run all speakers direct (not using their crossovers).

OP
T
Thread Starter #8
Just an update. I tore into the door panels. Checked out the cross over. Tweeter level was set to high. Lowered it a bit and the static is now gone. Not sure what exactly caused the static. My guess is since the cross over tweeter was set to high, it didn't filter out the really high frequencies that happened to be static. Oddly enough my passengers didn't hear the static noise only me.