Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tuning questions

Hi guys, I'm new to this platform, but not at all new to turbocharged engines, or ECU tuning using the Cobb Accessport. With that being said, I think it's pretty safe to say this is one of the most complex ECU's that I have ever seen. There are literally folders upon folders in Accesstuner, and it's a bit overwhelming. Lol.

I'm sure I'm going to have a lot of questions as I dig deeper into this ECU, but I'd like to start off with the basics: boost control. I was curious as to what wgdc compensation mode (1-4), you guys are using. Do you prefer the Cobb wgdc table, or using the oem base table? And what is your reasoning for doing so?

I have a bone stock 2016, so I would like to continue to post my tuning progress in this thread. The OTS Stage 1 flash has been loaded on the car since 500 miles, and I am now around 1,750. So I think it's time to start tinkering!

Thanks in advance!

Sorry to be off topic, but where did you get a version of accesstuner? I want to start tinkering too but Cobb pulled it from their site to update and now they will make people take a class before they can get the program again. If you have a copy you could send me that would be awesome! Feel free to PM me to keep this thread on topic.

Thanks!

OP
F
Thread Starter #3
I've actually had the Accessport and accesstuner for quite some time now. I just had not had time to play around. Good thing I grabbed it while I could :)

So, to get back on topic, I've been really trying to do a lot of research on this, and just keep coming up with mixed answers. Some folks say that if you are on the stock turbo, use the oem logic, and for larger turbos, use the Cobb logic. But then I see some people say that the Cobb logic is far easier to dial in, and recommend using that.

I'm going to start tinkering this weekend, but this is my first step of the tune process, is deciding which wgdc compensation mode to use. So any and all help/comments would be appreciated.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
So I cut my first map, and plan to flash it to the car today:

v1.00
Copied ots Stage 1 map slot 1 to map slot 3
Enabled 3rd map slot configuration
Cobb PD fuel table edited to 11.5:1 for safety and testing

I figured this was a good method, cause if anything is amiss, I can switch back to map slot 1, and I'm back on the Cobb map on the fly. I also left the wgdc configuration mode at "1", which is where Cobb had it. So I guess I'm going to give the oem wgdc/dynamic tables a shot first.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club
So I cut my first map, and plan to flash it to the car today:

v1.00
Copied ots Stage 1 map slot 1 to map slot 3
Enabled 3rd map slot configuration
Cobb PD fuel table edited to 11.5:1 for safety and testing

I figured this was a good method, cause if anything is amiss, I can switch back to map slot 1, and I'm back on the Cobb map on the fly. I also left the wgdc configuration mode at "1", which is where Cobb had it. So I guess I'm going to give the oem wgdc/dynamic tables a shot first.

Should be fine. Also this ecu is very good at detecting if the timing is too advanced or too much boost and will pull timing, close the throttle and or boost as necessary. Have fun.

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
Should be fine. Also this ecu is very good at detecting if the timing is too advanced or too much boost and will pull timing, close the throttle and or boost as necessary. Have fun.
Thanks bud!

So after thinking this over some more, I don't think this map slot 3 thing is going to work for my needs. If I were using the Cobb wgdc tables, I think it would. But because I have map slot 1 and 3, both set to wgdc compensation mode "1", they are both going to be looking at the same boost targeting/dynamics tables. So I would not be able to run the ots 21 psi on map slot 1, and then my selected boost target in map slot 3. Unless I'm missing something.

I have the map flashed, and slot 3 is running good, but I think I'm going to just have to start writing over the Cobb ots map in slot 1, and go from there. I'll leave slot 2 as the economy map for now.

More to come!

OP
F
Thread Starter #7
Car is running good, and afr's are targeting the Cobb PD fuel target table, as expected.
I'm will be ready to start tinkering with boost by this weekend. I just want to install my Cobb RMM and exhaust hangers. I was just curious what is a safe level of boost for a completely stock car? The OTS map is targeting 21 psi, and hits 21.5 on occasion. Is 22-23 psi safe? Just looking for some input here. :)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Car is running good, and afr's are targeting the Cobb PD fuel target table, as expected.
I'm will be ready to start tinkering with boost by this weekend. I just want to install my Cobb RMM and exhaust hangers. I was just curious what is a safe level of boost for a completely stock car? The OTS map is targeting 21 psi, and hits 21.5 on occasion. Is 22-23 psi safe? Just looking for some input here. :)
I'm hitting 25.4 on a stratified v3.

OP
F
Thread Starter #12
Not sure if anyone is following this, but I'm going to continue to document my progress.

v1.01
CCF tip max desired (ceiling) (1D table) raised to 37.2

I do not want to make too many changes (raise too many tables) at once, as I want to see how each table works. So, baby steps!

OP
F
Thread Starter #14
I also figured I should post a Virtual Dyno of my car on the Cobb Stage 0 (stock map), and also the Cobb Stage 1 93 octane map.
Again, my car is completely stock, and I will be using this as a baseline.

Attachments

OP
F
Thread Starter #15
Ok, so map flashed and it looks like I am now peaking at 21.7 psi, as opposed to the 21.3 psi I was peaking at on the OTS TIP Desired Max settings. I really would like to hold 22 psi as long as I can, so I'm sure the wgdc base table is going to start needing some changes.

BUT, first and foremost, my throttle is closing to around 30-40%, around 4K rpm. It's very brief, but it's there. My guess is a load limiter is stepping in here, as I am seeeing roughly 2.3 logged load values. So next thing on my list is getting that throttle plate open all the way to redline. Then, I will start modifying boost/wgdc tables to achieve targets.

More to come!

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
When you say "load limiter", do you mean some kind of Ford engineered/programmed into the ECM maps torque management? [dunno]

OP
F
Thread Starter #17
When you say "load limiter", do you mean some kind of Ford engineered/programmed into the ECM maps torque management? [dunno]
Yes, there are load limiters in place just like there are boost limiters and rev limiters. If you exceed the values in these limit (or ceiling) tables, then the ECU has safeguards in place, like closing the throttle. The fun part is finding the appropriate tables in AccessTuner, and making the appropriate changes.

OP
F
Thread Starter #18
New map loaded:

V1.02
LSPI Load Limit (low/mid/high) increased to 2.5

OP
F
Thread Starter #19
Well it appears like something is still shutting down the fun around 3,500-4,000 rpm.
I've adjusted my monitor logging list to capture all relevant torque/load calculations.
Next stop, the TTL and LTT tables!

Interested to know what you find. My tuner also made some changes in my most recent map to address a small throttle closure. Tuning to this level is new to me so just trying to take it all in...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk