Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Question about purchasing a FiST with less than 100 miles on it

Hi,

I just got done reading the recommendations here about breaking the FiST in; specifically engine break-in. My question is, how can I now go to the dealer and buy the car I looked at with 36 miles on it as NEW when these 36 miles were likely driven in test drives and the car was probably pushed beyond break-in limits?

Or the dealer took it home and drove the piss out of it on the way in the next morning? Nothing against the sales guys but I know more about the Fiesta ST than any dealer I have discussed the car with and some have no clue about turbo break-in requirements.

Is ordering a FiST the only way out of this situation? Is that what you all did? I want to have control over this process; I am indeed an engineer and understand the importance of proper break-in, tightening hoses, etc. especially in the first 100 - 200 miles. I don't want to buy a ticking time bomb.

Unless the car had delivery miles on it you have no guarantee how anyone else has driven it. I was the same so I got mine with 3 miles on the clock. Luckily mine was a dealer order but it was what I was looking for so I told them to call me when it came in and I went and checked it out and made the deal.

I wound up ordering because all the "new" cars I could find had hundreds of miles. Plenty here would say who cares, drive it like you stole it from day one. But I'm in your camp.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk

If you're that worried about it look at other dealers for ones with less miles, or special order one to be delivered to your dealer of choice so you can be the only one to ever put miles on it.

I bought mine with 4 miles on it, it was sitting in the back of one dealer's lot for 2-3 months before it got shipped over to my local dealer when I looked at it. The car wasn't even on that lot for a day, I didn't hesitate to drive it and take it home. 12k miles later my only issue is the clicking blend door that almost everyone else on the forum has gotten.

Zormecteon

It's likely that the 36 miles on it are because of factory testing. .. IIRC, that's about how many they will put on one car in 100 (or thereabouts) as a full check. Instead of being afraid of the "damage" you could think of it has having been thru the factory wringer and PASSED!... ..There was a greater chance of the kind of abuse you fear when the model was first introduced for 2014. ... AND... 36 miles isn't enough for any major damage to have occured even IF it was thrashed.... ..

Buy the car..

My 2 ?

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Funny coincidence, my specially ordered car came with 36 miles on it, it was at 26 when delivered to my dealers's main branch, then 10 more from being delivered to my local branch. I think and hope the 26 miles was the factory testing that Zormecteon refers to above. In any event, it runs great.

Mine had nearly 100 I think* by the time I had it brought over from a different dealer. It had made the rounds from dealership to dealership with no sell, as back in February 2014 only a few knew what a Fiesta ST was, even the salesmen.

Almost turned it down, but it was the right color with zero options, which is exactly what I wanted.

I now have 36,243 miles on the clock and it has been flawless engine-wise, but had an AC problem at like 2500, which they switched out in 1 day for a brand new unit, plus the blend door actuator around 12,000 I think?

Either way, 36 is nothing. They would have to take it to the drags for a few weekends in a row to do 36 hard miles.

If you are worried make them change the oil on contingency of buying it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Mine had 36 miles and a sticker about some factory test miles. I test drove another one at another dealer before purchasing mine and did not in anyway thrash it. No harder than I drove mine on a twisty mountain road on the way home. Not everyone thrashes cars on a test drive. I probably wouldn't worry about it to much.

Just so you know, the manual specifically states that there's no need to break in the FiST engine.

36 miles on the clock is not enough for you to ever worry

I've put about 500 miles in my 3 weeks of ownership and I've loved every minute of it. And yes. I've used the boost :)

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I wound up ordering because all the "new" cars I could find had hundreds of miles. Plenty here would say who cares, drive it like you stole it from day one. But I'm in your camp.
Same here x1000!!

I did actually order it and Ford made me wait over 4 months to take delivery, and I had nothing to drive in the interim, but I also did NOT trust either the sales staff, the drivers picking up traded cars from other dealerships for the car I wanted, nor the people who test drive these things, so I suffered and waited.

At this point it would be a '17 you would be ordering, and it would not show up until late February at best, unless you can find one ordered for stock equipped the way you want it, on the way into a dealer, and try to reserve it at that dealer with instructions for it NOT to be test driven whatsoever (and a deposit probably).

i ordered mine from the factory because no dealer in the DFW area had the color/options I wanted. I was a at the dealer 4.5 months (longest wait of my life) later when the vehicle arrived and saw 'em take her off the truck. Still, my little beast had 15 miles on her which I wasn't too pleased about. The dealer said there is various testing of some cars at the factory so I hesitantly took delivery. I did the break-in 101 thing (changing the oil for the first time at 100 miles, varying the RPMs in each gear up to 2500, etc.), and really didn't put the pedal to the metal until I had about 2k on her. Currently have about 7200 miles (it's basically my weekend ride) and absolutely no probs whatsoever. Time will tell if the break-in regimen was worth the the trouble.