Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Getting P04DB Code after Intercooler and CAI

Hey guys so I wasn't gonna post about this but I am at a loss for words. So me and my dad put a new CAI and Mishimoto intercooler on my car this past saturday and now I keep getting a P04DB code. And above that it says ECU. I had no problems with stage 1 but when i got the Intercooler i switched to Cobb stage 2 and boom got the code again. So i then switched to a Mountune stage 2 and got the same code again. (I had just cleared it too) Since ECU is always on the list i keep thinking it could be just a bad tune. But then again it could be my CAI. I have checked all connections and now on stage 1 and not had a code in about 1 day after driving it hard although it will peak at 20lbs of boost and hold at 18 at full throttle. I dont know if thats normal or if i may have a boost leak somewhere too. Also not sure if the computer would detect a boost leak and maybe throw the code? I'm not sure. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated since the nearest Ford dealership thats not assholes is a hour and a half away.

UPDATE: I got in contact with Mishimoto and they were very cool. Before I get to what i think may be the problem I will say that I took the Intake pipe off and connected that Crank case hose to the factory one and noticed it was kinda hard to get it to clamp on. There was alot more resistance and it just clicked on the factory one alot better. But when I tried the Aftermarket pipe it was pretty easy and kinda loose too. I can almost guarantee thats my issue. Mishimoto was very cool about it and offered me a Exchange. So i thought about it and came up to a conclusion, I'm gonna just use the stock part of the intake that attaches to the turbo and get the half one they offer instead of the Full pipe Intake. Can almost 100% say that will fix it. Either 2 things is the problem. That connector was just a smidge to big or maybe one of the 2 orings on my crank case hose is damaged somehow (I checked them and they are fine but you never know) But I do think this should fix it. Also to the boost concerns I was having above, I did take the bumper off again (which I hate doing) and checked my hose clamps and about 5 were loose. Evidently I didn't tighten them enough. Will update soon!

FINAL UPDATE: SOLVED! Ok So I got the Mishimoto replacement pipe and got it put on and noticed it didnt have a Spot for the mass air flow sensor. So I had to take it back off completely. I went ahead and put the Other Mishimoto one back on and now the Check engine light hasn't come on in 2 days so I think It is fixed somehow. I'm clueless on how it is fixed now but I have no CEL anymore and it used to come back after a 10 minute drive after clearing it. So I'm gonna go ahead and say this is fixed. This was nothing but a pain in my arse. Lol

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
ah ok i will check that tomorrow and see if maybe thats lose or something. Thanks man! :D

OP
C
Thread Starter #4
Update: Checked the Crankcase ventilation hose and its not disconnected like it says. No cracks or holes either that I could see. What I did try and do though is I put some electrical tape on the metal fitting to see if maybe it would grip better and seems like it stays put alot better. Before it had alot of play. But sadly I'm still getting the code. I really dont know what to do next except take it to the dealership.

LaserWhisperer

Can you see if there's a checkvalve you can access on either side of system?
When I was a GM tech, the valve would collapse all the time and cause issues

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
hmm not sure to be honest. Im not that mechanical savvy but i will give it a look. Its pretty crazy because no matter what I try it still throws the same code. And its all linked to the big hose connected to the CAI. I have checked it over and i looked for cuts or anything but it looks perfectly fine. Whats really crazy is the code only comes on when on stage 2. It doesnt show up on stage 1. I dont know if its boost related or what.

hmm not sure to be honest. Im not that mechanical savvy but i will give it a look. Its pretty crazy because no matter what I try it still throws the same code. And its all linked to the big hose connected to the CAI. I have checked it over and i looked for cuts or anything but it looks perfectly fine. Whats really crazy is the code only comes on when on stage 2. It doesnt show up on stage 1. I dont know if its boost related or what.
What year is your Fiesta, and who made the cold air intake? Many of us 2016 owners went through cold air intake related code issues.

A7xogg

ive also been getting the same code.i may try the elecrtical tape but i have noticed the code only comes up when im in full boost.mabye try and rotate something

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
My fiesta st is the 2016 and I got the Mishimoto full pipe cold air intake. Here is a link to it. https://www.mishimoto.com/ford-fiesta-st-performance-air-intake-2016.html
Conveniently, we've got the same year cars, as well as the same intercooler, hard pipes, and intake companies. Take a stroll over to Mishimoto's vendor forum, you can read all
about our issues. Dollars to donuts says you've got the same problem many of us had. They have a replacement part they'll send you for free, you just need to file a ticket with their customer service department.

The 2016's are crazy finicky over cold air intakes.

OP
C
Thread Starter #12
Conveniently, we've got the same year cars, as well as the same intercooler, hard pipes, and intake companies. Take a stroll over to Mishimoto's vendor forum, you can read all
about our issues. Dollars to donuts says you've got the same problem many of us had. They have a replacement part they'll send you for free, you just need to file a ticket with their customer service department.

The 2016's are crazy finicky over cold air intakes.
haha thats awesome! And I'm glad I'm not the only sucker with the CEL coming up after the Intake install. I emailed mishimoto and hopefully they can pinpoint my problem. Thanks for your help man!

mishimoto1

Hey there [MENTION=5697]CallmeTurbo[/MENTION],

Sorry to hear you are getting this code, I see Nick from CS is working with you to get this resolved. If there is anything you need, feel free to reach out via PM! [thumb]

A7xogg

Hey guys so I wasn't gonna post about this but I am at a loss for words. So me and my dad put a new CAI and Mishimoto intercooler on my car this past saturday and now I keep getting a P04DB code. And above that it says ECU. I had no problems with stage 1 but when i got the Intercooler i switched to Cobb stage 2 and boom got the code again. So i then switched to a Mountune stage 2 and got the same code again. (I had just cleared it too) Since ECU is always on the list i keep thinking it could be just a bad tune. But then again it could be my CAI. I have checked all connections and now on stage 1 and not had a code in about 1 day after driving it hard although it will peak at 20lbs of boost and hold at 18 at full throttle. I dont know if thats normal or if i may have a boost leak somewhere too. Also not sure if the computer would detect a boost leak and maybe throw the code? I'm not sure. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated since the nearest Ford dealership thats not assholes is a hour and a half away.

UPDATE: I got in contact with Mishimoto and they were very cool. Before I get to what i think may be the problem I will say that I took the Intake pipe off and connected that Crank case hose to the factory one and noticed it was kinda hard to get it to clamp on. There was alot more resistance and it just clicked on the factory one alot better. But when I tried the Aftermarket pipe it was pretty easy and kinda loose too. I can almost guarantee thats my issue. Mishimoto was very cool about it and offered me a Exchange. So i thought about it and came up to a conclusion, I'm gonna just use the stock part of the intake that attaches to the turbo and get the half one they offer instead of the Full pipe Intake. Can almost 100% say that will fix it. Either 2 things is the problem. That connector was just a smidge to big or maybe one of the 2 orings on my crank case hose is damaged somehow (I checked them and they are fine but you never know) But I do think this should fix it. Also to the boost concerns I was having above, I did take the bumper off again (which I hate doing) and checked my hose clamps and about 5 were loose. Evidently I didn't tighten them enough. Will update soon!

FINAL UPDATE: SOLVED! Ok So I got the Mishimoto replacement pipe and got it put on and noticed it didnt have a Spot for the mass air flow sensor. So I had to take it back off completely. I went ahead and put the Other Mishimoto one back on and now the Check engine light hasn't come on in 2 days so I think It is fixed somehow. I'm clueless on how it is fixed now but I have no CEL anymore and it used to come back after a 10 minute drive after clearing it. So I'm gonna go ahead and say this is fixed. This was nothing but a pain in my arse. Lol
Ever get this figured out?

Reviving a dead thread here, but I've been throwing this code randomly for the last year or so. Never threw it on the stock intake. I had the cp-e intake installed for about a year and would threw the code maybe a handful of times. I've since switched to the 2j intake and have thrown the code twice already in a month. I've checked the PCV hose connection and there's no way it is disconnected or leaking in any way, as it is hose clamped very tightly on both ends. Also have a 2016, plagued by CEL issues.

I may just have my tuner disable the code once I install my hybrid turbo. My heart drops everytime the CEL pops up until i see that its the same P04DB code and not something major wrong.

OP
C
Thread Starter #18
Reviving a dead thread here, but I've been throwing this code randomly for the last year or so. Never threw it on the stock intake. I had the cp-e intake installed for about a year and would threw the code maybe a handful of times. I've since switched to the 2j intake and have thrown the code twice already in a month. I've checked the PCV hose connection and there's no way it is disconnected or leaking in any way, as it is hose clamped very tightly on both ends. Also have a 2016, plagued by CEL issues.

I may just have my tuner disable the code once I install my hybrid turbo. My heart drops everytime the CEL pops up until i see that its the same P04DB code and not something major wrong.
Hey man, Ok sorry but I actually sold mine last year but I will tell you how I fixed mine. So I bought a mishimoto CAI that was a full pipe cold air intake. And right after I installed it I kept getting the P04DB which was about to drive me completely up the wall. I tried a new hose connection on the pcv hose and a new rubber seal to try and fix it but to no luck it was still giving me a problem. So what I did is kinda made my own intake. I took factory intake tube and cut it in half right after the pcv connection and then cut my cold air intake tube right after that connection. Essentially what I did was use my OEM air intake tube and cut after the pcv hose connector so I could use the oem connector and since I cut it I just used a rubber hose connector to fit the half metal CAI to the other half OEM piece that went to the turbo. That way for the PCV connection it was OEM. I ended up driving for about 2 months after that with no codes thrown. I dont know why but some companies cant match that pcv port on most intake tubes. I have heard of people switching to different brands and still have the problem. I am not sure if you have tried that but other people on here have.