Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Stiff Steering Issue

I had a minor track day incident that left me with some body damage and a bent tie rod. I replaced the tie rod and noticed the steering is stiff. It is really bizarre because I could feel it with the front tires off the ground, mostly on the left end of the steering spectrum, and then it would loosen up as I rotated the wheel to the right. On the street while driving it feels heavy on center. But this is even wierder, when I turn the wheel, engine on, not moving, it doesn't feel so bad.

Anyways, there has got to be someone on here that has whacked a curb and bent a tie rod. Anyone run into this issue?

OP
D
Thread Starter #2
I just realized I should have posted this in the performance, suspension and steering section instead...

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Sounds to me you bent the steering linkage. With engine on the electric assist is strong enough to compensate. I would check everything on the steering linkage.

haste

1000 Post Club
maybe something with the steering system needing to be recalibrated due to the damage/replaced component.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
Im thinking the same thing that Sekred and CanadianGuy said. The physics behind it makes sense. Thanks for everyone's input. I'll report what I find when I replace the rack.

OP
D
Thread Starter #7
Hey guys, here's a little knowledge I wanted to pass along about our cars.

They seen to have variable effort. I can tell because, having a bent steering rack that binds, I have an easier time turinung the wheel statically vs when driving. This is because while the car is moving the controller is commanding less steering effort.

Useless knowledge, i know. Maybe someone 10 years from now will be troubleshooting something and come across this...

Margiala

Hey guys, here's a little knowledge I wanted to pass along about our cars.

They seen to have variable effort. I can tell because, having a bent steering rack that binds, I have an easier time turinung the wheel statically vs when driving. This is because while the car is moving the controller is commanding less steering effort.

Useless knowledge, i know. Maybe someone 10 years from now will be troubleshooting something and come across this...
Not quite ten years But thank you 🙏 smacked a curb about a month ago been looking for an answer all night