Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BROKE DOWN - Engine Control Unit DTC's / U1007

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #21
I've checked all suggested electrical connections, and I've reset the vehicle via the suggested "KAM" reset on the Cobb AP.

The car doesn't have as bad of an idle as it did, but the idle is still not like it was before the issue happened.

A new issue has been noticed, and I am not registering any LTFT on the Cobb AP. STFT is registering, and my "fear" is that I let the car sit idle with E30 for too long and that the higher ethanol percentage damaged something.

I am going to fill 1/4 to full with 93 octane and then switch to my 93 octane tune. Any ideas on why LTFT isn't registering?

PS: I monitor LTFT to make certain that I am blending ethanol to the correct mixture for my E30 tune, and typically it is between 0% and 5% after I blend which as I understand is an acceptable range.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I've checked all suggested electrical connections, and I've reset the vehicle via the suggested "KAM" reset on the Cobb AP.

The car doesn't have as bad of an idle as it did, but the idle is still not like it was before the issue happened.

A new issue has been noticed, and I am not registering any LTFT on the Cobb AP. STFT is registering, and my "fear" is that I let the car sit idle with E30 for too long and that the higher ethanol percentage damaged something.

I am going to fill 1/4 to full with 93 octane and then switch to my 93 octane tune. Any ideas on why LTFT isn't registering?

PS: I monitor LTFT to make certain that I am blending ethanol to the correct mixture for my E30 tune, and typically it is between 0% and 5% after I blend which as I understand is an acceptable range.
The only thing damaged would be the plugs. A rough idle could be a fouled plug.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #23
So after putting about 4 1/2 gallons of 93 octane, switching to the 93 octane tune, and driving around for 5 miles, all is right again. The idle is good, LTFT started showing up, and the only thing that feels off is the lack of punch that my E30 tune provides with the X37.

Adam suggested to me long ago that I should run straight 93 every 3rd tank, and perhaps this is advice I should take. I'm going to let him know and see what he suggest.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #24
UPDATE - Adam doesn't believe there's anything wrong, and he thinks the car was relearning after I had gone in to limp mode. I am going to run through my current tank and on the 93 tune file, then fill up the next with E30 and log a few runs for Adam to go over. If any other issues come up after then, I'll update for those who might be curious.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #25
I had another issue and while driving to the bank earlier. The car started acting weirdly (idling too high), and I attempted to check that I was running map slot 1 which is where the 93 octane tune file is.

Map slot adjustment would not work, and it was as if the car wasn't communicating with itself. I decided to pull in to a parking lot and reload my most recent tune file. After this was complete and as soon as I attempted to turn the car over, everything went DEAD. No power, and nothing would register. The car went from fully functional to completely dead.

I looked around the visible electrical connections, and even checked the battery in the car key fob thinking perhaps that it had died and perhaps that this would kill the car somehow. Idk?

I decided to unplug the passenger headlight connector and reconnect it, which made the headlights flash on the yellow parking lights. With power now showing, I got back in the car and was able to turn it over. WTF!? No rhyme or reason of what happened, and no triggered CEL.

I decided to drive to a nearby Ford Dealer and I bribed one of their techs with $20 to spend 20 minutes with me and review what had been recently happening.

We checked in Ford's system for my CEL that trigger Sunday, and his conclusion is that the car somehow stopped communicating with itself, and that something is causing it to periodically do this.

His advice is for me to disconnect and then reconnect the "main plugs" which are located next to the the battery and under the plastic protective cover directly left of the battery while facing it.

He believes that somehow something is causing these "two plugs" to not register, and this is what is causing my issue.

I have no idea how any of this could just happen (the car sits in a garage), and I have not messed with any of my electrical components in any way that could have damaged them. I HATE electrical gremlins, and hope that this will be an isolated and random non recurring issue.

koozy

3000 Post Club
check the battery grounds and the battery itself. the battery could be weak and defective and after the car sitting for awhile is now more prone to show signs that it's not good, which it may be doing.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #29
Have you washed your engine bay recently and somehow had water damage?
No, I don't spray water in to this engine bay.

check the battery grounds and the battery itself. the battery could be weak and defective and after the car sitting for awhile is now more prone to show signs that it's not good, which it may be doing.
I used a battery maintainer and kept it fully charged while sitting in the garage. The ground connections are fine, are free of dirt, and are on tight.

Ya a bad battery or failing Alternator. Someone a while again was seeing weird things and it was the alternator.
How would I know that the alternator was bad?

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #30
Have you washed your engine bay recently and somehow had water damage?

I used a battery maintainer and kept it fully charged while sitting in the garage. The ground connections are fine, are free of dirt, and are on tight.

Ya a bad battery or failing Alternator. Someone a while again was seeing weird things and it was the alternator.

BronxBomber

1000 Post Club

just go to your local auto zone and they will run a test to check the amperage being put out. should be in the 13V vicinity. You can also purchase a battery/alternator tester or some of the portable battery chargers have them built in. As soon as you connect to the battery posts, it will tell you what voltage is being put out by battery and/or alternator.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #34
just go to your local auto zone and they will run a test to check the amperage being put out. should be in the 13V vicinity. You can also purchase a battery/alternator tester or some of the portable battery chargers have them built in. As soon as you connect to the battery posts, it will tell you what voltage is being put out by battery and/or alternator.
All is good here, and next steps will be to check the "connectors" next to the battery.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #36
this may or may not be relevant but when was the last time you cleaned your air filter? may be a cause of your rough idle
Not a bad suggestion, and my car only has 7k miles and I don't even drive it in the rain. The filter is in good condition.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #37
I've driven close to 50 additional miles today since the issue this morning, and the car is running right as rain with no more issues. Obviously something is funky, and it's maddening as its so hit or miss. Something is up, and I want to get to the root of it.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Have you unmarried the AP to go back to stock completely?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Open the engine bay fuse box. See if all is dry and clean in there and all fuses are seated properly. I have seen some guies in my neck of the woods get snow and salt in the box which is not good for connections.