Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

BROKE DOWN - Engine Control Unit DTC's / U1007

Rhinopolis

Guys,

I busted a rear motor mount stud over a month ago, drove the car home, and it's been up on race ramps in my garage for a little over 1 month.

I have been traveling for work and finally got around to fixing the issue and installing a new rear motor mount.

I put exactly 61 miles on the car after installing the new RMM and with ZERO issues. The car was running great, and on my way home the car suddenly stopped responding to my gas pedal inputs and I was just coasting.

The "warning wrench light" came on, I put on my hazards and I exited the freeway.

The car would not respond to throttle inputs, and then while idling it started stuttering and shaking as if the engine was off balance or not getting proper fueling.

I pulled over to the side of the road in a safe spot, turned the car off, popped the hood, and looked all over the engine bay and under the car.

I could see no visual cues of any problems. The car had been off and sitting for a few minutes by this point, and I fired it back up.

Immediately the idle shot up to 3k rpms, and I gave the throttle a little tap which settled the idle it in to a very erratic 1k-1500 rpms with back and forth revving all while the car sputtered.

This had never happened before, and after turning the car off I used my Cobb AP to check to see what codes were coming up.

Under "Active Codes" it registers ECU and then below that "Engine Control Unit DTC's". Under that it reads "U1007".

Any informed ideas on what the hell has happened and possibly why?

My mods are listed in my signature, the car is a 2015 with only 6861 miles on the odo. I have a near full tank of E30 as well.

Thanks,

Ryan

haste

1000 Post Club
Is that the only DTC that is active? Is it possible for you to see any logged inactive codes?

U1007 is not listed in my Fiesta service manual...

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
http://enginedtc.com/u1007-ford-fiesta

U1007 Ford Fiesta DTC Meaning

U Network Code - Problem is climate control system, lighting, airbags, etc.
1 MFG - Manufacturer Specific
0 Transmission
0 Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Feedback Circuit High Voltage
7 Cruise Control System - Vehicle Accel Too High

"There are currently two main types of cylinder deactivation used today, depending on the type of engine. U1007 Ford Fiesta code for the pushrod design which uses solenoids to alter the oil pressure delivered to the lifters. In their collapsed state, the lifters are unable to elevate their companion pushrods under the valve rocker arms, resulting in valves that cannot be actuated and remain closed."

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #4
http://enginedtc.com/u1007-ford-fiesta

U1007 Ford Fiesta DTC Meaning

U Network Code - Problem is climate control system, lighting, airbags, etc.
1 MFG - Manufacturer Specific
0 Transmission
0 Air Conditioning (A/C) Clutch Feedback Circuit High Voltage
7 Cruise Control System - Vehicle Accel Too High

"There are currently two main types of cylinder deactivation used today, depending on the type of engine. U1007 Ford Fiesta code for the pushrod design which uses solenoids to alter the oil pressure delivered to the lifters. In their collapsed state, the lifters are unable to elevate their companion pushrods under the valve rocker arms, resulting in valves that cannot be actuated and remain closed."
How do I interpret this?

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
May have possibly exceeded established torque / load limits which threw you into limp mode??? [dunno]

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #6
As an update, I cleared the codes and started the car again. The idle is wonky, and the car has trouble maintaining a normal idle. The idle is either steady and 500 rpms too high, or it can't decide between 1k rpms or 1500 rpms and just goes up and down between those ranges. It occasionally maintains a correct idle, but it's erratic.

I was able to drive the car home (20 miles from where I was stopped) with no further issues (I monitored vitals the entire ride home), and once near the house I tested things out out and gave it 25 lbs boost in 3rd. The car seems to run fine minus the idle issue. It's parked in my garage on race ramps right now, and what should I do? [dunno]

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #7
May have possibly exceeded established torque / load limits which threw you into limp mode??? [dunno]
Are you suggesting that perhaps my car is making more power than its comfortable with? Is "limp mode" what I described as what happened to me? This whole thing is weird and with my car sitting up for a month I want to be driving it, and NOT diagnosing it...lol

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
Are you suggesting that perhaps my car is making more power than its comfortable with? possibly exceeded torque / load / airflow maximum limit values entered into ECU

Is "limp mode" what I described as what happened to me? Did you try to clear code and did symptoms go away? If so, then yes, you probably exceeded limits and went into limp mode
Answers above

BoostBumps

4000 Post Club
Staff Member
I appreciate your responses, and does anyone understand why my car is now idling wrong?
fluctuating idle could be due to "idle relearning" after limp mode...See if idle settles back to steady idle after a few miles of driving...

Suggestion:

Contact your tuner and send him some logs....Only your tuner would know what limits were initially setup and they'll be able to evaluate your logs verses programmed values...

Side note: Its not uncommon for vehicles that were tuned during warmer summer months to breach limits when much colder weather sets in...Commonly during colder weather conditions greater increases in torque / load / boost occur which can exceed limits initially setup during warm weather months depending on how temperature compensation tables were setup...

Its always good idea to re-evaluate your tune for both summer and winter temperature conditions to ensure all temperature compensation and limit tables are properly calibrated to accommodate a wider range of seasonal temperature conditions...

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #11
^ You are a good resource and thank you for taking the time to answer my questions

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Quick test/fix. Remove the battery connection. This will reset the ECU. Wait 1-3 minutes and restart. It should idle rich as it learns again. Also I have found out that the wrench light comes on when the cruise control signals are affected. A brake pedal switch or even and accelerator pedal switch would fire the wrench light. Reading what happened to you. You may have a pedal issue. Did you disconnect the accelerator pedal recently? Check the connection to be sure.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #13
Quick test/fix. Remove the battery connection. This will reset the ECU. Wait 1-3 minutes and restart. It should idle rich as it learns again. Also I have found out that the wrench light comes on when the cruise control signals are affected. A brake pedal switch or even and accelerator pedal switch would fire the wrench light. Reading what happened to you. You may have a pedal issue. Did you disconnect the accelerator pedal recently? Check the connection to be sure.
I will do your suggestions, and I don't even know where the accelerator pedal switch is located...lol. It's near the pedal I assume?

If it was a over/under torque condition it would of thrown a P061x code. Looking online, this code looks like it is linked to possible electrical issues. Possible bad ground/broken wire? Never come across it on a Fiesta.

OP
Rhinopolis

Rhinopolis

Thread Starter #19
If it was a over/under torque condition it would of thrown a P061x code. Looking online, this code looks like it is linked to possible electrical issues. Possible bad ground/broken wire? Never come across it on a Fiesta.
Thanks for responding, and I'LL check out my electrical connections to see if anything might have worked loose

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thanks for responding, and I'LL check out my electrical connections to see if anything might have worked loose
for the ground look at this video. The negative connection from the battery is not the largest in the world on the Fiesta. Bad connection or corroded can significantly reduce it.

[video=youtube;XsQmnUZXGH0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsQmnUZXGH0[/video]