Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need Help. Nothing in the Catch Can??

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
So I empty my Damond CC after every 5k oil change. I got under the car, placed the water bottle, and pushed down on the trigger behind the CC to open it up. And nothing came out. All hoses seem to tight and fine, so any reason why this would be? Any help would be appreciated.

Sam4

So I empty my Damond CC after every 5k oil change. I got under the car, placed the water bottle, and pushed down on the trigger behind the CC to open it up. And nothing came out. All hoses seem to tight and fine, so any reason why this would be? Any help would be appreciated.
I'm in the same boat with (2?) oil changes done - maybe 8K miles. I think there was never a guarantee of accumulation, that the OCC was an inexpensive preventative to pulling the intake to clean with walnut shell blasting. I think we should remain calm!!

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #3
First time I've emptied it and nothing came out. Just thought it was weird.

TUX15ST

Is your occ the pcv or ccv can? In other words does your can connect to your air intake or your intake manifold? If its the air intake one, you will barely ever catch any oil. Also you catch less when its not cold outside

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #5
Is your occ the pcv or ccv can? In other words does your can connect to your air intake or your intake manifold? If its the air intake one, you will barely ever catch any oil. Also you catch less when its not cold outside
It's a PCV system connecting the intake manifold. And I've heard you don't catch that much in the cold but I haven't emptied it in 5k and just thought at least some would come out.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #7
You catch more in the cold than the hot because of condensation, you should get a milky looking watery oil mix.
That's what I thought so too. Last year around this time I emptied it and it was very milky but nothing this time. I'll try it again in about 2.5k.

KKaWing

I catch 1 tsb. every 1000 km. Take a look at the check valve. It should point away from the can, hooked to the top bung of the can, with the line going into the plastic intake manifold.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #9
I catch 1 tsb. every 1000 km. Take a look at the check valve. It should point away from the can, hooked to the top bung of the can, with the line going into the plastic intake manifold.
I checked all the lines. Everything is plugged in and tight. And no leaks from the line below. I would have noticed that over the last 5k miles. Absolutely nothing came out. Not even a drop.

I haven't touched anything since installing it about 1 year and a half ago. And I've emptied it maybe 2 or 3 times since then. Unless when it went in for an oil change the dealer messed around and did something. I can't seem to find it though if they did.

KKaWing

Then I would just check the inlet line, see if it's oily on the engine side. If it's bone dry, and when you put in the can the original hose is dry as well... then you have a really clean Fiesta ST / effective OEM baffle.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
1500 miles into mine I only got a few drops out of it. I really don't think you'll need to worry about draining it that often, maybe once a year tops unless you are running big turbo.

When I clean my Mishimoto OCC I notice a bit of crud in the bottom of the can. My can catches a fair bit especially in winter months. I wipe out my can with a paper towel to get the crud out. Can you open the Damond can and clean it out or is it a sealed unit. If the outlet hose is oily it maybe letting most of the oil/fuel/condensation by. My Mishimoto can definitely doesn't catch all vapours but it seem to catch a good percentage of them. Any of the OCC's that you can't get inside to clean for myself was a deal breaker along with the one piece ones freezing and cracking open from freeze and thaw in the winter. I've pics of one piece ones which where glued together then powder coated the glued bottom of the can would blow out from freezing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #15
I didn't even get a drop. Ha. I'll check the hoses and everything tomorrow and if everything looks good I'll just try again in a couple of months and see. Thanks for responses.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
"Stay calm and drive on!" The OCC is prevention. Mine catches more in winter and if I drive agressive with heavy downshifting.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #18
No idea if anything is cloaked. I'm going out today and seeing if everything is working okay. With the Damond systems there's no way to open can and I can't see the bottom of it.

OP
Kip2MyLou

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
Thread Starter #19
Don't know what I did but I did something. That's a little over 5k so to those who are interested in an OCC, they work!

KKaWing

That looks about the same amount I have over the same distance. I did find the leaver to be really stiff for the drain if the can is hot. It's easier to turn when the can is cold. Maybe you didn't flip the leaver far enough or something /shrug. Glad you got the gunk out. [driving]