Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How to CHange USB staick name from "UNKNOWN"

I have a USB stick plugged in with a bunch of music.
It works fine, but for whatever reason, it's listed as unknown.

Is there any way to change that, maybe put something on the USB stick to give it a name.
The USB stick does have a volume label, so it's not that.
The artist and song name show up fine.

This is a 2016 with Sync 3

fiesta unknown USB2.jpg

OP
V
Thread Starter #3
My, and a guess only, put it in a computer and give it a label.
It already has a label, in computers it's called a volume label, and it has one, and it's 16GUSB, doesn't show up anywhere on Sync.
The name of each song, and the artists name do show up.

Change "volume label" to something. I named mine something generic, "Music"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
V
Thread Starter #6
Well the USB stick I was using did have a volume label that but still showed as UNKNOWN
However, I formatted a new USB stick, and yes it works, the volume label shows up now
Must have been a bad stick.

OP
V
Thread Starter #7
I have done some further experimentation
And it seems that you can partition a USB stick, and use that was a way to organize music.
USB Partitioned.JPG
As the above photo shows, SYNC 3 shows 3 USB ports
We know there are only 2 physical ports in the car, but one of the USB sticks has been partitioned into 2 segments
Thus on a computer, Or Sync 3, it is teated as 2 separate drives

Capri to ST

1000 Post Club
Well the USB stick I was using did have a volume label that but still showed as UNKNOWN
However, I formatted a new USB stick, and yes it works, the volume label shows up now
Must have been a bad stick.
Timely thread. I was wondering how to name my USB stick so that it would show up under that name as the source on the Sync 3 screen. Before, without formatting (it was preformatted to FAT 32) I had tried just plugging the USB stick into my computer and naming it. That name showed on my computer but not on the Sync 3 screen. I decided to go ahead and fully format it, which I thought might also help with the system's not recognizing the USB stick sometimes, so while formatting it I named my USB stick by filling in the volume space on the formatting screen, and the name I chose now shows up on my Sync 3 screen. When I formatted it before without doing this, it showed as something generic like "USB 3.0 FD" on my Sync screen when using it as my music source.

Once you label the drive, you can use voice comand button, and just say the name you labled the drive. I have 2 drives, one called hard drive, and one named thumb drive. Nice being able to summon the drive by name.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk