Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Track Coilovers

Is there a consensus regarding what set of coilovers (or top 3) is most aggressive/suitable for track use with our platform?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
A bunch of us have been very happy with MeisterR and their street setup. There have been a couple of guys who went with there more track geared setup, the GT1, and have also had good things to say.

https://www.meisterr.com/products/gt1/

I just installed my set of bilstein b14 kit, I'll let you know how it goes, I would of been racing yesterday on them for the first time but unfortunately I think I broke my foot so it will be a while before I can race it... But so far on the street its been great. There isn't adjustment but they are setup for the "ring" they say

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
I went with Megan Racing

they seem to be made in the same factories as many other coilovers without naming names that look bascially the same

but these are a little cheaper - I would put money up on a track day stock cars sans just coilovers being changed that these will perform just as well as their other China counterparts out there but for over $100 less

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Those definitely look pretty (and pretty good), and you may be correct on the one Sino factory point.

But I am going to wait and see what Ground Control comes up with as far as a coil over conversion kit for the Koni Sport dampers, before deciding on any of the Chinese, or German options. [wink]

Plainrt

1000 Post Club
^^^Those definitely look pretty (and pretty good), and you may be correct on the one Sino factory point.

But I am going to wait and see what Ground Control comes up with as far as a coil over conversion kit for the Koni Sport dampers, before deciding on any of the Chinese, or German options. [wink]

Have you talked to them about this? I wish they would also make.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Have you talked to them about this? I wish they would also make.
YES, I called them in August, and they told me that they were getting a FiST into their R&D shop, and will be developing a coil over conversion kit as we speak, (in the fall) hopefully with a release of a kit by mid spring (or so they claim). ;)

OP
AZST
Thread Starter #9
I particularly like the look of the MeisterR. Are the GT1s worth the $1000 over the entry model? What type of usage would justify the higher-end suspension?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I particularly like the look of the MeisterR. Are the GT1s worth the $1000 over the entry model? What type of usage would justify the higher-end suspension?
It's my understanding that they are much more geared towards hard core open track/road course use, and are custom valved to higher spring rates for that use, than the more street friendly Rs.

I still wish that there was a more affordable 2, or better yet 3 way adjustable coil over for these cars (BESIDES the KW V3s, or lower level Ohlins coil overs).
The Meister GT1s are at the same price point as the above mentioned 2 ways, despite being 'all in one' single adjustables, and being praised for this fact by the manufacturer producing them.

I was very happy with my BC setup. Even with higher-than-standard spring rates ( I believe 6k and 5k) these things ride great on the street and do well on the track.

Check out this thread for the MeisterR http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8662-NEW-MeisterR-Coilovers-for-Fiesta-ST-995-Delivered and this http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/8928-INSTALLED-Meister-R-Coilovers-Impressions-Pics-Etc

TL;DR version from what I gathered is that the CRD+ are the best bang for the buck. The damping system is different on the GT1's and stated to be on par with Ohlins R&T or at least this was their benchmark. They do have the CRD+ in racing series and there is a lot of info out there supporting their success. I'm a bit of a damper nut but honestly for the money it may be hard to justify the GT1's for my intentions over the CRD+. The GT1's will perform everywhere better to me it is just a matter of what do I think the FiST suspension needs. At this time (1000 miles) I think it's a little too overdamped, the CRD+ will solve this for me.

I just installed my set of bilstein b14 kit.. there isn't (damper) adjustment but they are setup for the "ring" they say
I will vouch for Bilstein. Suspension is planted and feels bloody awesome above 90mph. Same with KW. They've both been at it for decades.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account

thanks
they have been selling like hot cakes
I had 5 in stock
SOLD the last set this morning
and won't have any more in until mid January [mecry]

hopefully some of the new owners will post up their reviews

This is the first car I've ever done suspension mods to, so I don't have anything to compare my MeisterR coils to but for the price I don't think you can go wrong.

The preset height is perfect IMO. You know how you build up a muscle memory of getting into the car over and over? Even with it being about 1.5" lower, it doesn't feel any lower getting into it, which was something I wanted to avoid.

The car handles considerably better than the stock setup, and stock it already was a great car. Plus the added benefit is that the struts are of much better quality, so while they can be set much stiffer than stock they are also much better damped than stock. You still feel bumps in the road, but they are considerably less sharp and jarring than the OEM struts. Plus if you have crappy roads you can dial out the stiffness when you want to and crank it back up if you run any track time.

I'll be making a trip home for the holidays and I plan to soften them up a bit for the trip because most of the highway is under construction for the 120 miles I'm on it. I'm excited to see how they handle it compared to the OEM suspension.

OP
AZST
Thread Starter #16
This is the first car I've ever done suspension mods to, so I don't have anything to compare my MeisterR coils to but for the price I don't think you can go wrong.

The preset height is perfect IMO. You know how you build up a muscle memory of getting into the car over and over? Even with it being about 1.5" lower, it doesn't feel any lower getting into it, which was something I wanted to avoid.

The car handles considerably better than the stock setup, and stock it already was a great car. Plus the added benefit is that the struts are of much better quality, so while they can be set much stiffer than stock they are also much better damped than stock. You still feel bumps in the road, but they are considerably less sharp and jarring than the OEM struts. Plus if you have crappy roads you can dial out the stiffness when you want to and crank it back up if you run any track time.

I'll be making a trip home for the holidays and I plan to soften them up a bit for the trip because most of the highway is under construction for the 120 miles I'm on it. I'm excited to see how they handle it compared to the OEM suspension.
Glad to hear you like them. Sounds like exactly what I'm looking for. I'm pretty sure I'll be getting a set soon. Do you have the ZetaCRD+ or GT1? I will probably go with the latter.

Siestarider

I installed the GT!'s last month. Had them valved for 6/4 springs but installed the 5/3 springs that came with them. Still playing around with them on softer settings, happy to report I can tell the difference between stiffness settings even when only 2 or 3 clicks apart. Fronts are very easy to adjust, rears have to use braille method reaching up under top of rear wheels, but the adjusters are easy to operate with wheels on. I am running +4/+3 from full soft right now, down from +8/+6 first settings.

Street ride a significant improvement over stock even with stiffer springs. Trying for a track day in early December, will use that day as a test damper settings day and see what I can learn. Back on stock turbo for now, so I can compare track times and see if the Meisters offer improvement on their own merit with all the other variables constant. Then decide if I want to go to stiffer springs or not for track.