Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

GNWF's Lose all my money, Never Lift Build/Internal Monologues

So you've found your way to my build thread, you poor soul you. Here's where I'll be keeping a record of my build, my racing season, and it's where I'll contain my general asshattery and shenanigans. Feel free to comment, ask, or talk about literally anything you want here.

About the car:​

So I picked up my used 2014 Fiesta ST (100% loaded, Recaro's, Nav, Painted wheels, Sunroof etc.) with 29,XXX on the clock on 11/1/16 for about $15,000. I bought it from another car guy who clearly kept good care of it and had a "save the manuals" sticker on it so he was instantly okay in my book. It appears to be in great shape mechanically, and good inside and out minus a few interior scuffs/marks on the plastic, and a couple rock chips on the paint (nothing that I can't fix). The first thing I did when I brought it home is obviously cleaning it up, waxing it, and doing ALL the recommended maintenance so that I have the maintenance on my schedule. Shortly after, I went Cobb Stage 1 (Actually purchased the AP3 before getting the car) and it's all downhill from there.

About me:​

Well this section is about to be boring. My name's Will and I'm a recent graduate from Western Michigan University with an Aviation degree and a Commercial Multi-engine Pilot license. Currently I work as an engineering assistant for a powertrain NVH/Calibration company as I complete my second bachelors degree in Mechanical Engineering. I come from the VW world, and the Fiesta is actually replacing my Mk7 GTI, but more on that later. I also have a track 91 Miata.

Mod List:

11/1/16: Purchased car with K&N Intake and Cobb RMM
11/2/16: AP3 Installed. Cobb Stage 1 91 map loaded
11/5/16: Depo Intercooler and Depo Catless DP installed. Cobb Stage 3 91 map loaded
11/7/16: DHM Pro-tune purchased and Base-map loaded for 93 octane.
11/8/16: Brake pads replaced with OEM's.
11/20/16: K&N Intake switched off for stock + Cobb Filter.
12/2/16: CP-E Nexus Cat-back installed.
12/3/16: Mountune RSR rear pads installed, Mountune Quickshift kit installed.
-15x8 TD 1.2's w/ 205/50/15 Star Specs
-Alignment with a bit more negative camber front, 1/8 Toe-in
-Brake Pads Replaced with Mountune RSR
-Brake Rotors Replaced with Centric High Carbon Content Premium Rotors
-CP-E Intake Installed
-Fully Ported and Polished X37 Installed

Waiting to go on the car:

-Boomba wing risers

Plans:

-OEM Steering wheel sent to Redlinegoods.com for Alcantara wrap
-Fender Tabs Trimmed
-Window Tints

The car:

*Reserved*

Last edited:
OP
G
Thread Starter #2
*Reserved*

Product Reviews:​

Cobb Accessport:

First up is the Cobb Accessport. I got mine used for $400 making this an obvious win. I'm not going to go too far into the functions as it would be beating a dead horse, but it does everything well. The OTS tunes are "okay" at best, but they do what they are supposed to do and they are certainly an improvement of the stock calibration. That being said, if you've come from another tuning community you will be very disappointed with the gains but that is more a problem with the platform than the Cobb maps itself. For instance, a tune on a MK7 GTI literally gives you 100 HP while I think you'd be lucky to gain 5-10 whp with the AP3 maps. Not a bad thing, just not as noticeable as tunes for other cars but that's not a mark against Cobb, just an observation. On the other hand, the features are fantastic. The Accessport manager is easy to navigate, and updating the AP3 to the newest firmware is super simple. Things like Flat-Foot-Shifting and Launch control are calibrated very well and I feel like the Cobb traction control (while not perfect) is an improvement over the stock TC. Logging is super simple with a VERY high resolution. The gauges are configurable and easy to read. If I had one issue with the AP3 is that the buttons have a cheap feeling to them, but other than that it is a great product that every Fiesta ST owner should have. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend.

Ratings:
Value 10/10
Quality 8/10
Would I recommend? Yes.

Depo Racing Intercooler:

Second is the Depo Racing Intercooler. I bought it for like $330 shipped if I remember correctly. Upon arrival (which was quick and painless), you could tell it was packaged intelligently with no way for it to get damaged. After looking it over I can say it's a quality piece. Welds are decent, the bar and plate design is well thought-out and looks like the same quality as some MUCH more expensive intercoolers I've had in the past. Installation was easy. Honestly I think it took 30 minutes start to finish and I'm no great mechanic. Performance gains were evident, but I don't have logs beforehand to prove that claim. Overall for the money, I think it's the best intercooler you can buy. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it to a friend.

Ratings:
Value 9/10
Quality 7/10
Would I recommend? Yes.

Another Car Mod junkie!!! Nice work so far; could we see some steering wheel pics after the alacantra treatment?

OP
G
Thread Starter #4
Another Car Mod junkie!!! Nice work so far; could we see some steering wheel pics after the alacantra treatment?
Absolutely, I'll try to document how the process works along the way. So far I've purchased a used FiST steering wheel for $179 on ebay. I ship it to redlinegoods and they do their stuff and ship it back. That way I have no downtime.

Absolutely, I'll try to document how the process works along the way. So far I've purchased a used FiST steering wheel for $179 on ebay. I ship it to redlinegoods and they do their stuff and ship it back. That way I have no downtime.
Cool I was wondering how that would work

OP
G
Thread Starter #9
Big 2,000 mile review coming out. A lot good things, lot of really bad things, but I will say this car gives me "the fizz" more than the GTI ever did.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Big 2,00 mile review coming out. A lot good things, lot of really bad things, but I will say this car gives me "the fizz" more than the GTI every did.
Elaborate on this if you would.....I strongly considered a GTi or Golf R but picked the FiST instead. Would like your reasoning for this statement.

OP
G
Thread Starter #12
how do you like the deadhook tune?
I love it so far. I would highly highly recommend them (but that's not to say they're perfect). The good news is they reply fast (I literally messaged them at 7:14pm about a wastegate question for my X37 and I got a message back at 7:16pm etc.) The tune itself feels great, and every revision is better than the next and I feel their prices are very fair. I have no doubt whatsoever that they will be able to tune my X37 to perfection. That being said from an engineers/powertrain calibrators point of view there is one negative. My brother is tuned with Stratified on his MK6 GTI and before they even did ANY WOT pulls they had him log cruise, idle etc. With Deadhook they start with cleaning up the WOT pulls and will really only fix other parts if there's an issue. Stratified will work on all parts (Idle/Cruise) from day 1. That's my only gripe.

So it's give and take, but Id have no problem recommending Deadhook to a friend. That being said after seeing Stratified's work, I also wouldn't hesitate to recommend them either. Tell me what you end up doing!

OP
G
Thread Starter #14
BC Racing Coilovers are in. 6K/4K Springs and custom valved by Chris @ 2J. First impressions (before alignment) they legitimately ride better than stock. Car feels great, less body roll, good transitions, turn-in response improved etc. Got the damping at 10F/9R and will be messing around with it.

Waterfan

Elaborate on this if you would.....I strongly considered a GTi or Golf R but picked the FiST instead. Would like your reasoning for this statement.
I lusted after the Mk7 GTI 2015 for 3 years before it ever showed up. By the numbers, all except for price, it is empirically the best Hot Hatch available (Manual, in the base trim with PP and Lighting. Power, weight, quality, fuel economy, tune-ability, available LSD).

Then you consider that you have to work with VW Dealers and VW Service (just beyond horrible around me), and the anemic and overpriced tuning community - and in my own case, at the time, Dieselgate "broke my heart" as a lifelong VW enthusiast. Worst of all, the car is simply too tame (you cannot fully defeat TC) and too capable and it is not as special/lovable as a FiST (in my opinion and after multiple test drives of both GTIs and FiSTs over many months).

So, when you can love a car more that costs thousands less, cheaper to run, maintain, modify and absolutely more FUN straight out of the box, FiST is the answer.

EDIT: forgot to mention: FiST is hundreds of pounds lighter then the reasonable-weight Mk7 GTI, and the performance/economy benefits cannot be understated.

OP
G
Thread Starter #16
I lusted after the Mk7 GTI 2015 for 3 years before it ever showed up. By the numbers, all except for price, it is empirically the best Hot Hatch available (Manual, in the base trim with PP and Lighting. Power, weight, quality, fuel economy, tune-ability, available LSD).

So, when you can love a car more that costs thousands less, cheaper to run, maintain, modify and absolutely more FUN straight out of the box, FiST is the answer.
Exactly man. Couldn't have said it better myself. When you look at the numbers, and other quantifiable things (and semi-quantifiable like interior materials etc.) the GTI is by far the best hot hatch you can get. But when you start looking deeper, into the expensive (German-car mark-up) tuning scene (important to note we just got Cobb), weak clutches, too long of gears (6MT) and a bunch of other small things. But more than that, I didn't seem to get emotionally involved with the GTI because it didn't have any "real" flaws. The Fiesta is a massively flawed car, and I think that's what gives it a lot of character imo.

**Edit** You're right though, weight is a truly massive factor into making a car fun. I have both a Fiesta and a Miata, so I'm really living that point to the fullest haha.

Update: I ended up ordering 205/50/15 Direzza Star Specs for my TD 15x8's. Should be in tomorrow. Wonder if I'm going to regret not getting 225's? Time will tell.

Waterfan

Update: I ended up ordering 205/50/15 Direzza Star Specs for my TD 15x8's. Should be in tomorrow. Wonder if I'm going to regret not getting 225's? Time will tell.
at 200 UTQG tire wear rating, any potential regret won't last long. [;)]

OP
G
Thread Starter #18
So big updates: X37 is in. I'll be posting a dyno and the logs for every tune revision. So far it spools ridiculously quick, feels really powerful and gives an actual reason to rev the car out to 7K. BUT people need to keep their expectations in line, it will not turn the car into some crazy fire breathing machine. Just feels like its a turbo that's properly sized for the motor (Looking at you Ford. VW, Mazda and Subie don't have this problem these days).

Datalogs: http://datazap.me/u/goingnowherefast/x37-baseline-tune?log=1&data=4-9

My Synopsis: Lots of boost for the baseline file. Peaks at around 26 PSI. Timing bit of timing pull early on. Low ignition advance at redline. Clearly needs some work but that's why this is the baseline.

V-dyno:

My Synopsis: Great first numbers. Curves look good.

at 200 UTQG tire wear rating, any potential regret won't last long. [;)]
Damn right haha. I'm actually seeing if a friend will buy my 205's (He's got a Fiat 500e). If he does I'm gonna jump on 225/45/15 Rival S 1.5's.

OP
G
Thread Starter #19
Here's my first revision from DHM.

Datalogs: http://datazap.me/u/goingnowherefast/x37-rev2?log=0&data=4-9-12-13-14-15-16

My Synopsis: Boost is doing something really weird in the mid range. It looks like they ramped the boost down (hits 23-24 peak), but really looks like something is happening with the wastegate as it dips in the middle and then goes back up. Timing looks cleaner and advances until redline. Hopefully the next revision will deal with the boost issue.

V-Dyno: