Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Vogtland Spring Issue

A couple weeks ago I ordered a set of Vogtland springs. After install it was immediately apparent that there was a problem as they made noise in the front even when just turning the wheel.

I pulled the wheels to make sure I didn't miss anything, everything looked great. Put the wheels back on and took it down the road thinking that perhaps the springs just needed a few miles to seat. Sounded like I was riding a pogo stick.

I ended up taking the car to my front end guy at work. He pulled the struts and said that the springs were rubbing the strut tower. I asked whether maybe I had them on upside down or backwards or something, he said they only go on one way.

I called Vogtland to verify that I had the correct springs. They said that by the part numbers on the springs themselves they were indeed correct. After relaying the issue she took my number and said that she would have someone get in touch with me. Two days later I still hadn't heard from Vogtland so I told the tech to button it up and I ordered a Bilstein B14 kit.

Took the struts off night before last and snapped a few shots before installing the Bilsteins (which by the way are extraordinary and don't make noise).

Stock Spring

Vogtland

Here's where it was rubbing the strut tower

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
You are the second case of this with these springs. Previous guy pulled the struts to the outer edge as much as possible but it still rubbed slightly.

I seldom here good things about Vogtland suspensions on any platform. you made the right move with Bilstein.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
A couple weeks ago I ordered a set of Vogtland springs. After install it was immediately apparent that there was a problem as they made noise in the front even when just turning the wheel.

I pulled the wheels to make sure I didn't miss anything, everything looked great. Put the wheels back on and took it down the road thinking that perhaps the springs just needed a few miles to seat. Sounded like I was riding a pogo stick.

I ended up taking the car to my front end guy at work. He pulled the struts and said that the springs were rubbing the strut tower. I asked whether maybe I had them on upside down or backwards or something, he said they only go on one way.

I called Vogtland to verify that I had the correct springs. They said that by the part numbers on the springs themselves they were indeed correct. After relaying the issue she took my number and said that she would have someone get in touch with me. Two days later I still hadn't heard from Vogtland so I told the tech to button it up and I ordered a Bilstein B14 kit.

Took the struts off night before last and snapped a few shots before installing the Bilsteins (which by the way are extraordinary and don't make noise).

Stock Spring

Vogtland

Here's where it was rubbing the strut tower
How do the Bilsteins feel compared to oem?

Sent using Tapatalk

A7xogg

i just flipped my front springs, no more rubbing issue. on there chassis it was a requrement to flip certian springs to properly fit. now i know other springs dont have this issue but just flip it if you want to keep them

OP
Raindog
Thread Starter #5
How do the Bilsteins feel compared to oem?

Sent using Tapatalk
Certainly more composed, particularly on irregularities mid-curve. Slightly stiffer but without the bounciness exhibited by the stock suspension. It's a marked improvement.

i just flipped my front springs, no more rubbing issue. on there chassis it was a requrement to flip certian springs to properly fit. now i know other springs dont have this issue but just flip it if you want to keep them
Let me get this right. Your springs were rubbing and all you did was flip the spring to correct it? My passenger side spring rubs and annoys the hell out of me at low speeds.

A7xogg

Let me get this right. Your springs were rubbing and all you did was flip the spring to correct it? My passenger side spring rubs and annoys the hell out of me at low speeds.
yup, spring sits straight when flipped vs at an angle when not flipped